Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Slanted 6 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Feb 10, 2018.

1. jimpopper

jimpopper

Had a 225 in my 87 Dodge D100 pick up. It was gutless with all emission parts intact. After 150,000 miles it came out and a mildly built 318 went in. Now the truck can tow and go.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. macdonald&co.garage

macdonald&co.garage

I ran on in my 48 dodge truck for years before i could afford a v8, never let me down. Only issue was typical cracks in manifolds, i got lucky and found a NOS turbo setup made by Mitsubishi that i ran until the v8 swap. Still the thing only made ~160hp. *memories* have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I usta work for "the city" and we had street sweepers with 2 engines. The engine for the sweeper brooms sat high in the machine and was constantly running in heavy dust and dirt....they used MoPar slant 6's. We changed a lot of busted slant 6 motors. They all threw rods and broke the block at the pan rail. In all fairness, I don't know any engines that would live very long on those conditions.
    I also had an old Korean war M-37 Dodge Powerwagon with the flathead 6 as my service call truck. It was governed to run about 60 MPH and I gotta say that old flathead had plenty of power. I used it to tow stuck vehicles from time to time and in low-low it would idle and pull 1 ton trucks out of ditches...sometimes in snow.
    I'd leave the slant 6 for a lightweight vehicle and use the big flatmotor in a pickup...but don't rev that flathead. It'l break.

4. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Hi and thanx.
    Here's my old 228 with dual carbs and exhaust spinning up to 4 grand before shifting into 4th at about 55 mph.

Attached Files:

5. Its hard to kill a 225 Slant six and they can be made to run Hard

6. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

IMG_20160917_102112026.jpg

My slanty.... Holley 4 BBL, I made the headers, and lots of other modifications that I did over 20 years ago. The car still runs after all these years! Awesome engines for sure.... I dig the your roadster. That air cleaner is really neat...

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  7. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Only problems we ran into with the slant 6's was with the distributors... cant remember exactly
    what happened but it was fairly common with higher mileage ones

ClayMart likes this.
  8. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Great car snd engine Jack.
    Got any stories to share about spanking V8s?
    Light car as yours is with a slant 6 on roids gotta go like hell.

9. The plastic distributor drive gear shreds itself and ends up in the oil pan. One of the first things to check on a sudden "crank, no start" condition. Pull the cap, crank the engine, and the rotor just sort of sits there and wobbles around a bit. Fairly cheap and easy fix, though.

ottoman likes this.
  10. I don't know if the question of sludge has been answered but back when that motor was new there were several brands of oil that had a high paraffin content. They would sludge one up pretty bad but still lubricate the engine. I would clean it up, put it in tune it and then give it a good flushing after I got it running. If the engine is h shot it can still be removed and rebuilt.

11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

The plastic distributor gear ages, cracks, then fails. It's the same gear as a 2.2L four cylinder. I always try to have one just in case...

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have beaten stock V8 302 Mustangs and the "Pre-LS" Camaros that were virtually stock. The mileage is just under 20 MPG. The car can and has gotten up to 150 MPH according to a ol buddies Stingray. But for me, it's just a fun car. Win or lose, it's just a slant six.. Right? I don't put much emotion into it, I am just amazed that after 20 years of abuse, the damn thing just keeps a going! LOL

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

So Beanerman, keep a flathead in 55 Fargo truck or go slant 6 and a A833 trans ?

14. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

I would be more concerned about the oil pump gear. From what I am reading nothing but troubles with new cams and oil pump gears taking a shit.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Find another, Weld them together to make a very rare v-12? LOL

Clay Belt likes this.
  16. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Old original cam.and oil pump.

17. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Dont give up your day job..
    Lol
    Seriously they put together 5 chrysler flathead 6s for tanks in WW2.
    In a radius formation.

Clay Belt likes this.
  18. Well I have owned a couple of slant 6s and been real happy with them. Never owned one that I could claim was a hot rod 6 but they ran well and pulled good enough for what they were. I think you would be real happy with one in the Fargo.

19. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

This is very true, when I removed my Purpleshaft cam, not only did it chew up the distributor gear regularly, it annialated my oil pump gear. I sent in a stock camshaft core to Snyder Racing Cams, and they ground me a cam to my choosing. I have had no problem for 15 years now....

20. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

interesting too bad the distributor drive wasnt like a flathead 6s

classiccarjack likes this.
  21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Actually I did; retired Jan. 7th. LOL. I say stay flathead. That's what I have in my '42 Fargo.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  23. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Most likely am and 265 powered.
    But which is the better engine a 225 Slant or a 265 flattie?

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

If you change to a slant you will have to change your name to slant six fix!

6-bangertim and Flat Six Fix like this.
  25. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Hardy har har another funny...

6-bangertim likes this.
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sorry couldnt help myself. Would you by chance have any extra toploader trans for a flathead?

27. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Sorry I dont.
    Mine is running T98 Acme 4 spd.
    Not the NP 420.
    Are you talking 30s car toploader?

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have a 59 230 looking for a topload of some type. 30s car type I.ve heard is what i should look for. Going in this. I have looked at a pilothouse and I think I could use the big bell housing. IMG_2558.JPG

Flat Six Fix and whtbaron like this.
  29. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I've run 218's in cars and 225's in swathers and I still think you'd be further ahead with the 265 in your truck. OHV's will probably give you more HP, but those flatheads are brutes for torque and I think that will give you more useable power in street vehicle. In stock configurations I would expect the newer motor to run longer between overhauls, but if you improve the oiling in the flathead, that may not be true any longer. I think if you were going to do the work of swapping to a slant, you'd be happier with a 318 for the same work.

30. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Thanx Baron and yes a 265 stock has similar torque and HP than a slant.
    They are 120 hp and lower end torwue 228 ft lbs at 1600 RPM
    It wont be stock hotter cam.dual carbs and headers.
    So maybe a 150 to 160 hp motor.
    Easy swap too..
    LA 318 nah like em.but no