Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs On again off again USA road trip maybe back on with Hudson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Feb 12, 2018.

1. hudson48

hudson48

I have been playing around with this now for maybe 3 years. Planned to bring the Hudson over and take in some runs(more detail later). The biggest stumbling block was making sure that I had insurance especially personal liability. Until now I was banging my head against the brick wall but have now found out that Hagerty does offer cover for visiting overseas cars for a two month period at a time. I have approval for this in hand now.
    Still working on getting the car shipped to USA with local shippers and also have to set up a Temporary Import Bond so that no duty is charged when it arrives and again in Australia when it comes back. All looking good so far.
    We are going through the car now to make sure all is OK. I have done some long road trips here in recent years including a 4000km return trip to Phillip Island for the Kustom Nationals and then later that year a 2000km return trip to Newcastle for the Street Rod Nationals and then another 2000kms to attend the Sydney Hot Rod Expo last year when Gene Winfield came over.
    My biggest problem is getting someone to come over with me. A friend who was all hot to go has dropped out now but may have another but he has commitments that may preclude a 5 week trip.

So the plan is to arrive at Long Beach and collect the car late April(25/26th) and on Saturday 28th attend the Donut Derelicts event at Huntington Beach. Then the real road trip can start. I have always said that I don't like redoing travel but with the first run in Dewey OK(Stray Kat 500) I think that heading east back along Route 66 is the best option. Have done it several years ago but still a lot to see and revisit.I want to have about 5-6 hours drive time each day which would extend to say 8 hours with stops,lunch,attractions etc.
    So first stop Saturday night maybe Needles and then Sunday night Flagstaff or get as far as Gallup NM. Then take our time to arrive in Dewey OK on Thursday for the Stray Kat 500.
    After that it is on to Imperial MO to stay with my son's in-laws and I am going to try to connect with Kurt McCormick who lives close by and has an incredible collection of historic customs & hot rods.
    After that it is off to Detroit to see museums,across to Lincoln Nebraska for Speedway Motors and then to Santa Maria for the WKC event.
    There is a second phase when I come back in July for the KKOA Salina event, maybe Hot August nights and then Bonneville for Speed Week.
    Would like to connect with any hot rodders or custom guys on the way. PM me.
    Any travel advice especially road conditions on 66 would be appreciated.

Truck64 and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. swifty

swifty

Better check with the Aust Dept of Infrastructure first as they are the ones that came up with the ruling that hot rods and modified cars could not be imported into Oz unless you can prove they were built before 1989.
    Then talk to Peter Koning the ASRF-TAC director as he wanted to take his 32 Vicky to the States and do the runs and they told him he couldn't bring it back in- even though it was his car! He ended up taking his 36 Chev as he had proof it was pre 1989 build. I know there have been exceptions but maybe they lied, slipped thru the cracks or had friends in high places.

3. Absolutely follow swifty's advice it is a real minefield. Even if you can prove the car was originally modified pre 1989, major upgrades done after 1989 may also affect re-import.

Also, be very careful with the shipping company. My importer collected my car in Virginia in early September 2017 and it is still not delivered (6 months). Absolutely diabolical to deal with.

4. That 1989 rule might be the biggest setback. You ofcourse know it,s all above board but when you bring the car back to Oz you will be dealing with customs beaurocrats. Their line of thinking could be that you gave the car a major upgrade in the U.S.A. I guess you will need lots of photos of the original build of the car to back you up later.

5. hudson48

hudson48

From my discussions with shipper is that it is a returning vehicle to Australia. This is totally different to buying and importing a pre 1989 vehicle from USA especially modified after 1989. A local hot rodder took his 32 coupe to USA last year for the Louisville Nats and it has been returned OK.

6. jim snow

jim snow

Go for it Paul. It was pleasure meeting you last year. Unfortunately it looks our paths won't cross this year. But best of luck. Snowman

7. Well if you find yourself in Western South Dakota give me a holler. My Hudson doesn't even compare to yours but would be awesome to meet up. Consider traveling when you could make the Hotrod Hillclimb. You would not regret it.

Sent from my A521L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app