Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Alllllll the Longroofs.....Let's see 'em boys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ♠Stovebolt♠, Oct 3, 2003.

1. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

1-DSC_0705 (2).JPG 7-DSC_0663.JPG 1-DSC_0705 (2).JPG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. Jesse1952

Jesse1952

4. Wife's new ride ( my new project )
    image.jpg

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hey SB,
    A very cool looking 56 Chevy in a very cool surf spot at Fort Point, San Francisco. That place is one of the best surf spots in Northern California. There was a huge south swell running at the time, back in 1991 and all up the coast, people were saying it was good. When I was able to drive to Fort Point, the waves were pumping. They were wrapping around the big point, going under the Golden Gate and rolling into the beach right in front of where your 56 is parked in the photo.

Some of the better surfers out on that day were catching the big waves under the Golden Gate. They were riding them to the beachfront by the parking lot. It was a great day of surf, really pumping at Fort Point.

Jnaki
    No, I did not get a chance to ride those great waves as I was visiting my brother at the UCSF hospital. Plus, I did not have my surfboard. It was unusual as the outgoing current there is really fast, but somehow the surfers were able to get great take offs and rides.

Nice photo in a nice background...

6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

42709C6F-D81A-44F2-95EA-332BBE65B482.jpeg E72A1C3E-6D2E-4F03-A0B9-DAC89A8EDB7A.jpeg For sale at the Nashville swap meet today

Mtn Goat, brEad, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  7. Cooon

Cooon

Wee wagon get together we had a few weeks ago

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Cooon

Cooon

Also, had Von Franco draw this for my Hardware company, turned out quite cool I reckon. Had to have the wagon in there

[​IMG]

9. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

65 Ford CS Final.jpg Here's one I restyled a bit last year.

10. loudbang and Rot 'n Kustom like this.
  11. hotrod428

hotrod428

photoshop or real?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Sorry, I should have said "digitally restyled." It's from my imagination!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  13. loudbang likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

15. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Boneyard51, when do we get to have a wagon race?
    22406207_850568375103113_7631356112369584879_n.jpg 22310138_850568391769778_8045258832021114466_n.jpg 22196096_850568398436444_3474686495496735120_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-2-21_5-4-52.png
    Hello,

We have always liked station wagons. In high school, a friend had a Plymouth 2 door wagon with tons of room in the back for surf stuff. But I settled on a sedan delivery. In college, a 40 Ford Woody was spotted in Northern California, but the cost was too great. By the time we got married and were looking for another form of daily transportation, another 46 Ford Woody with an SBC popped up in our search. Something was against us on that So Cal purchase or no purchase. So we ended up with another great 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with an SBC and A/C.

By the time our son was born, we realized that two El Caminos and a sedan delivery were not going to cut it as far as space usage with all of the stuff required for a baby/toddler, etc. (rear seats required) The 40 Ford Sedan Delivery was a luxury not built for a baby. A station wagon was necessary, but one that would fit our measly budget, after buying our kid friendly house. Now, the next several vehicles in the timeline were all station wagons, but not hot rods. They were reliable daily drivers, grocery-getters, camping stuff carriers, surf wagons, and for family outings.
    upload_2018-2-21_5-5-54.png
    So, our love for station wagons goes back a long time. We always keep an eye open for the “next” car/wagon. We were actually looking at a red 65 Chevelle two door, station wagon, my old El Camino with rear windows, etc. We have seen and owned plenty of wagons, but recently, we saw one that had all of the goodies from an era past. A 63 Mercury Comet Wagon, curb feelers and all, cruising and sitting in the same vacation resort in Goleta, CA.

Jnaki

It sure looked cool driving down the main cruising street in Santa Barbara, State Street. We saw it while eating dinner at one of the million outdoor restaurants built just for looking at what is coming by on the street. That Comet wagon looked very nice and comfy.

upload_2018-2-21_5-7-14.png upload_2018-2-21_5-7-29.png upload_2018-2-21_5-7-40.png
    upload_2018-2-21_5-7-54.png upload_2018-2-21_5-8-33.png upload_2018-2-21_5-8-9.png
    Previously posted in what did you see today thread:
    Hello,

While on a short vacation in Santa Barbara over the holiday, I was pretending to be a photojournalist seeking out my next story. But, gone were the massive amounts of photographic equipment and stuff. My wife mentioned seeing a nice looking, “old station wagon” in the resort hotel parking lot.

I went on a mission to find this “old station wagon.” I thought I had seen an old Mercury Comet Station Wagon driving around in town earlier in the day, but it was a flash, during the driving, in hectic, Santa Barbara.

So, seeing this cool looking 1965 Mercury Comet Station Wagon/Woody in the Goleta, CA resort hotel parking lot was a surprise. It had a ton of nice features and looked to be a daily driver. Some of the custom touches were the machined, Lexan colored shift knob and door locks, the rear ¼ Venetian blinds, the aluminum rain/wind wings and taillights. One item that hasn't been seen since the 60's...shiny curb feelers !

The period correct S/S wheels and whitewalls made it look like a wagon cruising in the mid 60’s. The Comet Wagon fit right into the “theme” of the recently remodeled, Kimpton Goodland Resort Hotel’s surfer style fixtures. One of the most unusual items was the outside fender mirror that had a front facing spotlight. Without being too nosy in a public parking lot, (peeking into the driver’s compartment,) there had to be a remote control of some kind to make it work. It was just too far forward for a long twist lever back to the driver.

Maybe, it is used as an extra high beam for those dark, deserted, Highway 395, So Cal to Nor Cal cruises.

Jnaki

These mid-size wagons were deemed, “perfect” for the small family. They were not too big and not too compact. But to paraphrase Goldilocks: "Ahhh, this… Wagon… is just right."

17. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

This is the 1960 Falcon wagon I am building for my wife.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A rebuilt 200 | C4 combo and 8" rear with 2.79 gears allows the wagon to easily cruise at 75 mph on the SoCal freeways. Front disc brakes, 10" rear drum brakes and a dual reservoir master cylinder replaced the tiny drum brakes and fruit jar master cylinder original to a 1960 Falcon.

[​IMG]

Inspired by this Steve Stanford rendering, I acquired the "wood" from a 1963 Falcon Squire and will either build a phantom 1960 Falcon 2-door Squire or install the parts on my 1963.5 Ranchero.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  18. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Hambtown Al, is this your yellow 57' wagon? I'm studying the headlights and trying to figure out how this was done. I drive a 57' 300 sedan and would like to replace/cleanup those deep original headlight rings. Looking at mine, I believe it will require recessing the entire bucket or replacing with a different bucket. Any input would be greatly appreciated. That's a beautiful wagon. Sam

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Disregard. I found my answer in the classifieds.

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

loudbang, MO_JUNK and Hamtown Al like this.
  21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Hi Sam,
    The wagon is sort of "ours" in that the owner, a long-time pal of mine, and I have made a deal wherein he gets my 1936 Ford phaeton and I'm getting an agreed amount for the car. In return, besides some cash:D, I'm helping to sell the car as my pal is a working journalist and would be considerably distracted by phone calls and questions related to selling the wagon. I am fully retired and have much more available time and interruptions in my day normally have very little impact.

By me helping to sell the wagon, we are able to preserve the car's title status with my pal being only the second registered owner of the car and the next guy will only be the third owner... no need to add me to the chain of owners since I'm really just a helper and it also saves the considerable money it would cost to put the car in my name. That savings will enable us to sell the car at a lower price and save us and the new owner the potential added expense.

As to the headlights; I'm pretty sure there was a technical article printed in one magazine or another about just how it was done... most likely in Street Rod Builder.

12-DSC_1751.JPG

I believe he used a headlight ring from a 53-56 F100 pickup because I sent him a picture of a stock headlight on my 54 pickup at the time. I'll try to find out more and share the info on this thread if it won't be viewed as hijacking the thread... we ain't no hijackers; at least not on purpose!;)
    We are willing to share what knowledge we have as a small payback for all the help we get from our fellow HAMBers.:)

Thanks for the kind words on the wagon... it is a unique beauty.

Hamtown

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

We just bought this. Straight outta Dee-Troit. IMG_3817.JPG IMG_3818.JPG IMG_3819.JPG

Mtn Goat, brEad, Cooon and 2 others like this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Hi again, Sam,

Here's the info as recalled from the horse's mouth:
    If I remember they are 53 F100 and you need buckets and rims. Have to trim the original holes to fit new buckets the new ones are held in with sheet metal screws. Article was likely in SRB but no idea what issue.

Hope this helps,
    Al

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  24. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thank you very much for the information.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Your wagon is beautiful! Great inspiration for my son Craig, who just bought a '65 Ranch Wagon. It's got a 352/auto, no ps or pb. In fact, now brakes at ALL now, he got the car yesterday and loaded his family for a ride around neighborhood, the brakes failed completely. His wife liked the "old gas smell", and my grandson said, "The brakes on the wagon are NOT safe!"

26. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

27. raymay

raymay

Saw these really Looong roofs on another thread.

Station_Wagons_2b.jpg

LeoH, doc's, oldsjoe and 5 others like this.