Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Tech School Students Doing Good

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Nov 7, 2014.

1. thanks for the PM
    got to talk a little on plexi glass shaping methods
    definitely going to have to at least shape a cool windshield. We are still drawing on the roof, the students really like the bubble top stuff from the 60s. All my students know who Ed Roth is anyway.

els and loudbang like this.
  2. uh oh
    looks like it started
    photo 1 (1).JPG

3. we started mocking up today
    working out how we might graft the 2 pieces together
    going to try to align the body line under the fin with the top edge of the fender
    photo (4).JPG

kidcampbell71, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  4. a friend of mine needed some work on his 33 Plymouth deck lid
    students straightened, prepped and primed it
    plan on painting it this week
    cool thing is that the bulk of the work was handled by first year students
    not bat for some 14 and 15 year olds
    we do work on newer stuff, but I will fill in with older stuff as well
    photo 2 (5).JPG photo 1 (6).JPG photo 5 (1).JPG photo 4 (4).JPG

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    deadbeat, Stogy, brEad and 4 others like this.
  5. we made the front of the local paper with the bus today....again
    we are 'cleaning it up' for the Birmingham World of Wheels this weekend
    IMG_20180207_095318.jpg

deadbeat, OahuEli, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

The layout designer forgot their pull out quote in your story, but its AWESOME to see a good program getting big press!

loudbang likes this.
  7. local TV news guy just called and will be here in the morning for an interweave on the things we are doing at school

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  8. Mentioned before
    Do you sill have the rear doors?
    That's the part that has the magic in it
    Graft 3 pieces together
    image.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  9. yes, we still have them
    we may use part of that rear door
    we figured out the transition by moving it further back We moved it from the cowl to in front of the rear tire tire/shoulder area of the cockpit
    not shortening the fin but going to cut the qtr vertically in front of the rear
    the last 36 inches of the fins will be parallel then turn inward and transition into the fenders
    it has a better flow this way

we just set the rear end under it
    plan to post pics soon

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Had a great weekend. We displayed our projects at the Bham World of Wheels.
    The students that were able to make it had a blast
    The response was more than I expected. Our stuff had folks around it all weekend. The look of shock when the realized high school students were responsible was awesome. Many business talked to our students. One shop even did an on the spot interview with a student followed by a job offer. One shop asked if they could donate equipment. I had several shop owners inquire about hiring students. We won a small award from the show but the coolest was Miller Welding choosing us as their pick.
    A large truck dealership asked us to bring the bus to their upcoming open house.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    deadbeat, Stogy, brEad and 7 others like this.
  11. k9racer

k9racer

Sounds like you are doing a good job. I hope the school board is aware that teck schools do work. A job offer and others asking to hire students. I bet you felt very good. That first job means a lot. Keep up the good work. I will add a club I am in had a display I will get input from them

anthony myrick and loudbang like this.
  12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Mr Myrick.Looking good sir.Keep up the good work.Outstanding.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

13. Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    racer-x, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  14. some better pics from the show
    this is 2 of our electric cars built and raced by students, the paper box we won state with, a custom tricycle and 2 Taylor Tot strollers
    wow display.jpg
    A couple of the bus and one for the cool "trophy" Electrical students built the conduit fence
    wow bus 2.jpg wow bus 3.jpg wow trophy.jpg

we made a lot of great contacts
    Our school director (principal) got to see a side of this industry he has never seen. I introduced him to shop owners and he listened how this industry is in need for new techs.
    Our school superintendent, state Ed department, congressmen, representatives, local business council, local workforce development, all county principals and tech ed teachers have all seen the videos and news reports from the show. Many of these have shared this info with friends and colleagues through social media.
    In one week, our tech school has been in 2 news reports, a front page article and numerous social media posts.
    Hopefully this will help promote and help focus the need for tech ed in our area and state.
    All this is made possible from great students, great feeder school teachers, supportive staff at WCCT and a school board that isn't scared to allow a couple crazy teachers do what they know how to do.

racer-x, vtx1800, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  15. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Back in 1955 - 56 I took auto paint & body half a day for two years in Shreveport, La. Loved it and had a great shop teacher. Was not any Bondo in that class.
    After High School I went to work for Dowell Oil Field Service maintaining their fleet of service trucks. Gravy job for me. Did that for a few years until that region had a big cut back & got laid off. Got hired into a factory job and went thru Electfrical apprenticeship and did that the rest of my life.
    I had a really nice custom 53 ford convertible an have been trying to locate the one photo I still have of it. No luck so far. Good luck with your class. Jimmie

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. good example of how tech schools can help young folks.
    not every student I teach will work in a collision shop.
    but a foundation can be built to help them succeed in other fields.

17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Couldn't have said it any better!
    Congrats on the WOW Show.

18. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Mr Myrick, you are what is right in our schools and thank you for being that "one teacher" that makes a difference!

Boneyard51, das858, OahuEli and 2 others like this.
  19. thanks
    its a team effort
    Luckily our school administration allows us to do these things. Not every school system can say that.
    We are a county school yet we have partnered with the city school system to serve all students. This is extremely rare in education.
    I just hope we can continue what we are doing.

chryslerfan55, OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Wow! This is beyond cool!

21. we won gold at district in student project with this display for the refinishing process
    district.jpg
    we also are preparing to restore a 23 T body
    just picked up the replacement parts from Howells
    we still have a few parts to fab
    will start posting pics

and the caddy is about to start having its chassis tacked together
    stay tuned

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Stogy, brEad, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  22. started back on our model t today
    going to to replace the lower portion of the body and rear panel
    sourced the parts from Howells sheetmetal, not perfect but better than nothing
    the tub currently has patches (one side has double) tack brazed over the original rusted panels.
    students will remove the poorly executed patches and replace. So far students have learned how not to repair rust. I guess the old saying about serving as a bad example is true.
    We will have to fab the rear lower portion of the tub sides, luckily there is a current HAMB thread covering this
    model t.jpg model t 2.jpg model t 3.jpg

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Got our wood kit for the T 22D4D768-9FDF-4A56-BBE2-0F23B5080EDB.jpeg
    No instructions but we figured it out
    D0802684-5D55-4EBB-9C25-CE340D869AE3.jpeg
    FD4F7C1B-5F1D-438A-9D3E-3524EF2C063B.jpeg
    We have a couple brackets missing I hope we can find

Buddy Palumbo and Stogy like this.
  24. Automotive students will build the 500 caddy after we tape it up and epoxy it
    This will replace the 350in the bus
    Now we got to pick out a Chevy trans adapter for this
    C15DE97A-9E41-43A7-B4E1-44CA7757AC26.jpeg

The 350 will end up in this
    800DEEE6-40C4-4C6D-9485-630BBB19668E.png

Buddy Palumbo and Stogy like this.
  25. Haven’t posted here in a while. Been busy but not hamb friendly busy

Stogy likes this.
  26. any expertises from anyone that has assembled a T like this would be appreciated

27. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i put a 340 buick in front of a chevy th400 a few years back, i used 1/2" plate and made my own adapter then machined some spacers to move the converter. same pattern as the caddy.

anthony myrick likes this.
  28. Thought about making one but they are not very expensive either
    Some come with this hub adapter for the torque converter (circled). I have used an adapter like this but not with this part.
    18A4A641-B416-4104-9FC5-275CE7CC5885.jpeg

Wonder if the trans adapter will space the trans out enough to use this?

29. We displayed our bus and other projects this last weekend at our World of Wheels show again. Met a lot of people shocked trade schools still exist
    Met more businesses looking to hire students and met one of our state commerce board people. Will any of this help, don’t know but never hurts to try

OahuEli, ffr1222k, charleyw and 2 others like this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I dang forgot about the WOW show! I haven't been in several years, went for something like 25 years straight then just quit going, it had deteriorated so bad and it got to be the same cars, year after year.

Good to see that y'all are still getting out and about. Maybe we can get together again somewhere this year.

anthony myrick likes this.