Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Tell me about your first, most memorable burnout or the best burnout you witnessed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Early Ironman, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

2. Thanks,it's pretty funny now but 54 years ago it was anything but! :rolleyes:. HRP

zzford likes this.
  3. conestogaman

conestogaman

There've been so many...

I don't remember the first, but I remember the best.

I was 16, in my mom's 71 Olds Delta 88, with a 455. It was winter, and it was parked at the curb between 2 cars. The ice was 1/2 thick, and I couldn't get traction to pull out into the lane due to the slope of the street. I spun the 1 wheel (squeal) til I saw 100mph on the odo...

parked between 2 cars...

stationary...

Took 5 minutes for the air to clear as there was no breeze, and it hung around in the subfreezing temperatures.

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldsjoe and Early Ironman like this.
  4. zzford

zzford

It was 1966. A buddy and I were watching the races at the local drag strip. A kid in a brand new Mustang was staged and ready to go. When he got his green light, he dumped the clutch, the Mustang jumped up and rolled forward a few feet and stopped. Under the car lay the driveshaft still connected to the front half of the chunk. We went over to help push the car off to the side and the kid was almost in tears. We offered our condolences for his bad luck. He just said "It's my Mom's car and I told her I was going to the movies".

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not my first or my best.

6. badvolvo

badvolvo

I wish I could remember, but I guess the first one was my first ride, a Honda SL70.
    Most memorable, in high school, my 69 442 with slicks. We had an exchange student from Panama who non-stop talked about his Toyota and how fast it was. We went out one night looking for a race, didnt find one so we took a bye run down the local road. I dumped the clutch and ran it though the entire 1320'. Jose turned white as a sheet, he never talked down about muscle cars again.

oldsjoe, Clay Belt and Early Ironman like this.
  7. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

My second vehicle was a 55 Nomad, it had a 283, 3 speed on the floor and lots of rust. The hang out for car guys in our small town was the railroad depot, the fire station was just across the tracks. I had mastered the art of flooring it, dumping the clutch and then jumping onto the brake pedal with my left foot, I could make a massive smoke show with the inside of the car filling with smoke through the rusted rear fender well. One night while the fire department was having a meeting I had a larger then usual audience.

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was 13 and driving my Dad´s 1984 BMW, a 535i manual trans car, of course he was out not knowing what I was up to. Somehow he caught me doing it.... I got smacked.

Early Ironman likes this.
  9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first " traditional" burnout in an old American car, my 56 Chevy in about 2001
    gears.jpg
    Had to call my Dad to pick me up.

10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did some practising and got better.
    293378_231676276886144_1810868601_n.jpg

J. A. Miller and Early Ironman like this.
  11. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I hate it when something breaks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

saltflats likes this.
  12. the best burn out i ever witnessed was done by a buddy of mine on thanksgiving day 1981. he had worked on his "off topic" big block car and wanted to test it out but the car was in the garage and all the visiting family members cars filled the driveway. so he set the line lock and proceeded to smoke the tires in the garage until one of the tires blew. there was so much smoke the family came running out of the house. when the smoke cleared we noticed two lines of melted rubber that ran up the front of his mothers new caddy, that was parked right behind it, and onto the hood and windshield. to this day there are two divots in the garage...........he went on to become a state cop.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

already posted my first,,, just remembered my most memorable, which is difficult since I never drove my GTO without spinning the tires just a bit at least.

took my GTO to autoshop to do something and when I was leaving to go park on the street all the guys were looking and saying light 'em up! so I did.... again, Ram Air III 400, with a 4 speed, 10 inch wide bias play Kelly tires. so I smoked 'em down the street next to the school in front of autoshop and did not see the cop on the side street. woops.

cop was cool though and gave me a ticket for loud mufflers since all I had was headers with glasspacks bolted to them. I asked the cop to give me a break since I had two new mufflers in the trunk and was going to do a whole exhaust soon, his reply " I think I already gave you a break":)

had a lot of fun in that car. never took it to the track for some reason even though I lived about 15 minutes from Fremont Drag strip where they had Wednesday night racing for 10 bucks. sold it for $900.00 in 1981 and saw it at the Turlock swap meet all beat to hell around 2010 selling for $12,000.00 not even running.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...best one I ever saw was my buddy Jim in his 70 Z/28 doing spinning burnouts in the K-Mart parking lot at 2:00 A.M. he would end up rolling backwards with the tires spinning forwards, then do more spinning. all of the sudden from the dark corner in the parking lot a cop lights up and comes and gets him. he got out that measuring wheel thing and we watched as he walked around in circles measuring the skid marks. Jim got a ticket for "unsafe start" with a notation "300 feet of circular skid marks". the cop told him "don't even think about taking this ticket to court"

oldsjoe, Clay Belt and Early Ironman like this.
  15. My best memories are when I got traction and didn't burn out but left the guy in the other lane up in smoke.

But here's one I remember.........
    I had recently bought a new '68 Olds F85, post car (what we called a "stripper" back then) with the 350cid W30 package and all the go-fast goodies. My best buddy, not to be left behind, shortly thereafter bought a new '68 Olds 442. So back then beer came in quarts and we had ours; we're happy, admiring our cars, chilling but not drunk, and he wants to see who could put down the longest burn marks. Now here's the deal; I'm a gear head with with headers, a fresh dyno tune and stuff like a limited slip and traction bars, etc., on my 350cid, while he's clueless with an open diff in his 400cid. So we line him up and he burns about 100' of single stripe from his Red Lines. Then it's my turn from the same point and I burn about 90' from both of my big, fat Mickey Thompsons.

Now, see, he's all happy, jumping up an down, pointing at that extra 10' of open diff single burn. I'm smiling, shaking my head and trying to explain (half heartedly) about Newton's laws, etc., and why you want to get traction to go fast. But he's so happy I couldn't shoot him down. I let it be a win/win for that day. I knew I would have the chance to take him to school another time.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  16. Deuces

Deuces

307 powered Vega GT with a Monza posi rear end... I took the car to a local park and did a brake torque.... :):):D

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Most memorable was in my big block nova, tires on fire in front of the police station at shift change. Had enough cop cars around me they had to decide who was going to write me up.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

19. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

OK, Most memorable: Junior in high school 1962. Finished enough with stuffing a 303 Olds in my '38 Ford coupe. Bored, cam, 3X2s, dual straight pipes to just ahead of the rear end. '39 box, 4.11s 8" 8.20x15" Bruce slicks.( which I didn't need buy they looked cool. So we snuck it to school. Illegal as hell. :cool: It was pretty much the talk of the guys at school all day so after school there was a pretty big crowd around. Well, I couldn't disappoint them. So after some LOUD revving and a few chirps I made it to the parking lot outlet. While turning left onto the street I smoked the left rear tire until the weight of the car evened out and that hot big ol' slick got a big bite of asphalt. It sheared the key in the hub. I thought it was still spinning the tire until the axle welded itself to the hub. Before I could get my foot out of it the tranny let go. The case cracked from end to end and the bottom of the box and the cluster gear fell out on the street clanging and banging until it rolled out from under the car and up on the school lawn amongst the now laughing crowd. Some friends came to help me get it off the road. Most pushed but one grabbed the V8 trim piece in the grill that connects the hood and side panels to the girl. All that stuff was safe at home. He was trying to be such a help that he pulled hard enough to break the cast piece off. By the next afternoon,Saturday, I had the engine, tranny and rear end out. And by the next Saturday night we were cruising Walnut Creek. Looking like American Graffiti! :D

21. SS327

SS327

My most memorable was in my OT 73 Chevelle Super Sport. One night I had the brilliant Idea to do a fire burnout while I was gassing up the car. I still had my Good Year Suburban steel studded snow tires on the car yet. So after I filled up my car I got a gallon of gas and me and my buddies went out to where we raced. I dumped most of the gallon on the street and backed into it with the studded tires spinning I lit the gas on fire and smoked them up real good and then launched the car. When I looked back in the rear view mirror I could see the fire chasing me and started to panic so I just kept my foot in it like an idiot. I should have just let off the gas. All my buddies could see what was happening and started betting each other if the gas tank or the engine would blow first. Thank God neither did. You see in 1973 the gas tank fill tube was in the rear bumper behind the license plate. If you filled the tank all the way up on a hard launch gas would pour out from the gas cap until you lost about 1/4 tank of gas. I learned a good lesson that night. Don't fill up the tank!

Denny

oldsjoe, 49ratfink and Early Ironman like this.
  22. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

2016.morning. Donuts in the middle of the intersection a block from my home, wife in the passenger seat, just had rained still sprinkling.

When I was way younger I melted the tires off my car that had thin tires, I remember hearing something different drove off and had two rear flat tire$
    Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

There were so many.....but the most memorable was not A burnout. My buddy had a 70 Riviera. Not a pretty car and since he painted it black with a roller it was worse. I did have the 455 with all the torque though and after an evening of drinking (stupid) he was dropping me off at my parents house. Our house was one door off a side alley, had its own alley, and then the street intesecting our street that had a stop sign. Both alleys had been recently asphalted. I asked my buddy to do a burnout before I got out. He obliged and took it to the next alley. I said do it again, do it again! He did. Then again at the next corner and then next corner. Eight in all! Full length. The car stalled. Still not sure why. We got out and pushed it down the alley in front of my parents garage and came within an inch of crashing the garage door before my buddy jumped in and hit the brakes. We were laughing so hard. We decided it best he stay the night. Then we got inside. My dad who was always super cool and turned us on to old hot rods is standing there in his underwear looking pissed and says what the f%$k was that.? My buddy and I both broke into a fit of laughter so hard that we were crying. My dad just walked away.

oldsjoe, bobss396 and Early Ironman like this.
  24. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

73 Z28 in front of the dance hall. Really surprised how short the driveline was when it came flying out.

25. Most memorable burnout for me was in Smokey & The Bandit, when Burt blew the tires off through the intersection.
    Not sure why, just the first thing I envision.

26. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Visiting a neighbor when his older sisters boyfriend shows up with a 27 T Bucket with a Hemi and a truck load of 97 on top. Was ask if I would like a ride in the Hot Rod. At 13 I was eager to go. Never forget the smoke boiling off that tire inches from my elbow. This burn out was in front of Les Hawkins house (Les owner of the 15z Fuel coupe). I grew up in one hell of a great neighborhood.

27. 1964 this guy has a brand new 64 impala. 300 hp 327 and three speed. He backs out on the high way revs it up and dumps the clutch and it don't move just smokes that little 14 inch tire until he lets off the gas. I drove a 65 mustang that wouldn't come out of the hole. just smoked the rear tire unless you got rolling before you opened it up. A school mate drove a 62 chevy 283 powerglide. He would back up in reverse flat on the floor and shift into drive and smoke the rear tire. It was his stepdads car. Tore up several Transmissions. So they traded for a 66 impala this one had a 283 4 bbl. same stuff. the step dad had a nice 65 chev Pk. he never let the stepson drive it. and it never broke. Thet traded the 66 chev for a 70 ford gal 500. The stepson was gone by then. drafted into the army. and the Ford held up. After that the stepdad would say the chevy Pk,s are ok but the passenger cars aint any good.

28. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

After classes were over one day while in middle school, I heard a squall of tires, then heard something clanging and scraping. I turned to look and saw my sisters car, a blue metallic 53' chevy hardtop, coming screaming around the corner. At the same time one of the cheapo JC Whitney side pipes flew off and went skittering across the road. Now that's a memory you can't un-remember! :D

29. Memorable one for me was the first day of school of my sophomore year. I'd been hanging around the front of the high school before class watching all the cool cars and saw this upper class man cruising the school in a lowered 54 ford 4 door. Was white with a blue top, was rumored to have a 390/3 speed and he had his high school sweetie sitting next to him.
    Our school was built on a steep hill...we called it rubber hill and before and after class a cop parked at the top of it. When class started, he left. The 54 chirped the tires a little before class but not enough to attract the cop's attention. We all went to our first class of the day and it was hot....no A/C so our class windows were all open. About 5 minutes into the class we heard it.
    Car started up with loud pipes and drove to the top of rubber hill. We then heard the engine revving as the car coasted backwards down the hill..........and at the bottom [gymnasium] we heard the clutch get dumped. The tire didn't squeal as much as it'd made a sizzling sound and the engine was screaming! We heard it go the 100 yards up the hill, across the intersection and continue up the hill another 75 yards or so....left so much tire smoke it came into all the classrooms on that side of the school! It was that lowered 54 ford.
    We though the kid that drove it was gonna be in big trouble but we found out later the driver was his girlfriend!! How she got the keys I never heard but that super black mark stayed there after many rainstorms along with countless others. I heard she was riding with some other guy after that.

oldsjoe, slowmotion and Early Ironman like this.
  30. ironrodder

ironrodder

Senior in high school. My '61 390 Ford. Stopped along a street to shoot the breeze with a classmate and he tells me to "burn 'em". Spin the right rear till I had to stop for a cross street. Next day at school he tells me he and his brother paced it off at 304 feet. Would have been more impressive if the street would have been asphalt and not tar and gravel.

oldsjoe likes this.