Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP WIRING 59AB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim38, Feb 11, 2018.

1. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

First off Id like to thank everyone on the Hamb for all the advice you give us newbies so willingly. Its really appreciated and it makes us love the hot rod lifestyle even more. So here it goes. I bought my avatar (1938 ford) two years ago and im just now getting time to work on it. Originally I wasn't planning on keeping the flathead in it but the more I lurk on the Hamb the more I want to try and salvage it if I can. The old man that sold it to me promised me the engine was good and that it didn't have any cracks but you know how that goes. One of the water pumps was seized so I replaced it. Everything is still 6v but wiring is mostly shot. Now where I need help is I want to start the engine and make sure its alright before I start spending money on parts for it. I bought a 6 volt battery and it turns over ok using the button on the solenoid that sits close to the battery. What id like is a drawing of what is needed to start the engine, just a basic drawing for dummies of the electrical needed to start it. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. (i know i need fuel obviously)
    Slim

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. You don't mention the condition of the existing wiring; but since you have the battery hooked up, the solenoid, and starter work, check for juice at the coil with the key on. It will be less than 6V since it goes thru the ballast. If you have juice, test for spark while cranking. If not, you may have to lightly sand some corrosion off the points. When you have spark, add a little gas down the carb and see if it goes. If that works rig up something like a lawn mower tank so you can run it longer and should probably be sure you have coolant before running to much. Don't forget oil either.

3. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Thanks Rick B. I don't have a key for it. How can I bypass it. Most of the wiring that is ate up is for the lights. It has a push button that is factory on the dash also and the ignition that I don't have a key for.

4. If you want to bypass the key, simply run a jumper wire from the battery neg term (if pos. ground) to the battery side of the coil. That gives you power to your ignition. If you can already crank the engine, add little gas, and if all is well it should run.

firstinsteele likes this.

5. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

How can i tell if it is positive ground? Ground terminal that goes to battery is mounted to firewall and it also has a ground strap from engine block to frame.
    Slim

6. verde742

verde742

If its a FORD 6 Volt, its pos. ground....

7. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Ok thanks verde742 .

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

look at the battery, the bigger post is positive, should go to ground, but check it to be sure.

9. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Truck didn't have battery when I bought it. I put it on. Both terminals are same size.

10. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

It turns over placing the terminals positive to positive and negative to negative. Would it turn over either way?

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

both terminals are NEVER the same size, check again

12. verde742

verde742

newer battery are pretty well marked + or - and the ground wire usually won't quite reach the neg pole, IF its bolted at stock location on frame,

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

yes, it will turn either way, but the coil is not correct, and it wont charge.

14. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I know it's marked on the battery. I just didn't know if it was positive ground.

15. verde742

verde742

Ford changed to 12 volt in 1956

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

17. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

19. slim38