Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 8BA...question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RPU Rick, Feb 11, 2018.

1. RPU Rick

RPU Rick

image.jpeg I am posting from an iPhone, so please bare with me. I am now in possession of this barn find 8BA. Notice the water pumps. What do I have here? Why are they different? Many thanks in advance.

Rick.

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't see much from the pictures, but since the water pump pulleys seem to line up, it looks like a "one-belt" system (these have a second belt, but it drives the fan, not the water pumps). Since I can't see any mounting ears sticking out from the pumps (like trucks and early Mercury's have), I would guess it's from a '49 Ford Passenger car. Also the pulleys look to be for the wide belts. I may be completely off-base, but better pictures sure would help.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Only the pulley/cone is different. Just two different water pump pulleys. They are both the same size for the belt. It only affects the look of the motor.

The guy probably had two different pulleys when he rebuilt the pumps or he bought two different pumps or had one pump and bought the other and that is all they had to sell. Hard to say why it was done this way. Bottom line is that it's ok to do.

The water pumps are also the motor mounts.

They look to be wide belt so probably from a truck.

Pull the heads and oil pan to look for cracks. Some cracks are good. Other cracks are bad.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  4. RPU Rick

RPU Rick

Thanks guys.

I was told it was pulled from a 1949 two door coupe. The mounting surface on the water pumps is angled at roughly 45°.

Good info.

Rick

5. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Single belt as used on '49 engine is probably right. Since rh pump is about 1/2 cylinder further forward than lh pump, the rh pump requires a deeper pulley to keep the grooves lined up.
    Farmalldan

6. thanks flat Dave...nice video....

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '53 trucks also used the same basic pumps as '49 car. The '53 truck pan was a stepped rear sump, while the '49 car was a center sump.

8. RPU Rick

RPU Rick

Thanks...all good to know stuff.