Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Plymouth Business Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Nov 13, 2014.

1. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Finally the last item on the wife's list is complete. Spent the last 3 weeks building a new kitchen. So the garage time begins. I continued scuffing the high build primer in preparation of a final coat before paint. Still have some welding work at the bottom of the trunklid but not much. I also found and bought a new trim pan for over the fuel tank. Mine needs more work than I'm willing to put into it after finding a fiberglass one. I'm not a big fan of fiberglass parts, but this isn't structural, and the quality is so good, the only people who will know are me and anyone watching this thread. My plan is to be in paint in the next 30 days or so. I'm finally able to put all my time into garage time. Hopefully nothing will get in the way.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S727VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

looking good

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Indeed, your gas tank apron was pretty shot - you're even luckier that you were able to find one in glass. Keep up the great job on the body! Just wondering, how are you going to paint the body in your freezing shop?

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  4. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

My oldest son works at a body shop. We will put it in a heated booth when the time comes.

5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Very good - we're all looking forward to seeing this body ready for paint! You'll be cruisin' and looking great for this Spring/Summer!

6. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Progress made today. Completed welding up the firewall. Built a trunk latch because I let mine go with the second trunk lid I built and sold, and haven't found the original style latch anywhere since. I then setup the rain gutter over the drivers door. Needs some welding, and cleanup but it's on there atleast. I used a set made for model a that were simply straight channels. Quite a task getting them bent to fit the car. Going to be real cold here tomorrow so I think I'll take a day off.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Very cool trunk latch I have to make on for my 37 Plymouth I lick the way you made yours.

340 Power, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  8. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Looking real good - you didn't have the original rain gutter that was on the body or maybe did not come with 'em? I thought all of these early bodies had them.

340 Power and loudbang like this.
  9. It came with rain gutters originally.

31chevymike, 340 Power and loudbang like this.
  10. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Yours looks like it had a pretty fancy latch.On my dodge fast four this is all I have ,looks original but isn't much more than a handle and a key lock.Your car is looking great.
    latch.jpg

11. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

The passenger side gutter was destroyed beyond repair by a tree, or pipe or something. It pretty much destroyed the door even. Originally they were more round.

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  12. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

The one I let go with the other trunk lid I built was from a mid 30's Chevrolet trunklid I had here. It fit the post in my car like a glove. They must have been very similar. I patterned this one from memory of it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  13. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Managed to get the other rain gutter on today. One step closer....
    [​IMG]

14. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I completed the trunk latch today. I also completed welding up the lower edge of the trunklid though it needs some finish work yet. Nocked down gutter welds from past couple days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Nice work keep going spring is coming

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  16. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Final fit the latch in the trunklid. It was actually harder than I thought it would but I nailed it. Functions perfect. Homemade latch is pretty fitting for a homemade trunklid I guess. Still messing with the gutters, but I spent most of the day finishing some bodywork. I even started to cleanup the lower trunk lip. It won't take much to complete.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Cool, maybe cold progress, looks great!:)

18. Damn, dude, that is one awesome decklid! Can I send more guys your way to get some made?

19. Very nice! I looked all over for my trunk handle today I should have looked in your garage ! Ha Ha

20. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

31 Dodger...I'll always try to help out where I can. However it should be noted I'm not a professional and while I'm happy with how mine came out, I was worried sick the gentleman I built the last one for would not be happy. I was so glad to hear he was pleased when it arrived and they set it on the car. If I can be of help let me know.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  21. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Today was spent finishing the decklid. Using a shrinker/stretcher to form it leaves a slightly rough edge on both sides. You really have to be careful to shrink every spot the same. This took quite a bit of learning with my first attempt. With the deck complete, I used a coat of body icing all around the edges and even down on the areas affected by the shrinker. I also completed the lower edge in the same manner however also using a flat file to get a nice clean edge on the bottom. All that's needed now is prime, paint and final installation for it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. Very impressive ! I love the metal work Hobo Jim

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  23. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Lots of progress today. Patched lower edge on the driver side of the cowell, then made the welded on tips for the start of the sill plate for both sides of the car. I had to replace about 15 inches of the body where the sill plate bolts on the passenger side. Lots of small finish work completed today. I even managed to get the visor prepped.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Wondering what you have planned for taillights, knowing that you're almost at this point finishing the final body work. Really nice job on the body work!

loudbang likes this.
  25. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I was thinking United Pacific tailights. Thought I'd paint the housing to match the car and mount them along the outside of the frame behind the tires.

[​IMG]

31chevymike, 31Dodger and loudbang like this.
  26. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

After a busy week, I'm down to knocking down a layer of body icing on the roof. I'll finish it tomorrow, spend a couple hours cleaning up all the dust I've made this week, then the final coat of primer will go on. I can't believe It's almost time to paint. This has been a long time coming. I'll post pics in primer tomorrow evening if all goes well.

27. Check out the Montana Dodge boys 1931 DeSoto taillights....same as you were thinking....

28. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I had originally thought about mounting them over the tank cover just like that. They look good there.

31chevymike, loudbang and 31Dodger like this.
  29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

With the intense progress you made up to this point, we're all very confident in your abilities... Keep up the GREAT work!!

loudbang and 340 Power like this.
  30. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Well..... I've been at it all day today. It's been a long one for sure but well worth it. I think I'll take a break.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018