Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flatteners with Alkyd enamel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slackdaddy, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Slackdaddy

Slackdaddy
    from Maryland

after 35 years I am going to "step up" from Rustoleum to tractor store paint that has a "hardener".
    Sprayed, brushed, rolled it all looks good,,, if someone says it looks like crap,, your driving to slow!!!!

My next work of art I want a Satin or Matte finish and in a custom color (Cat Sweater Blue),
    So 2 questions:

Where does one go to have a custom color mixed for these Alkyd enamels?
    I see Rustolem, Valspar (tractor paint) has tint bases, but it's not like Home depot or tractor supply carries the tint bases??

Seeing as I want a Satin or Matte finish,, do flatteners play nice with these? and once again, where would one get this mixed up?

Where are these stores staffed with knowledgeable employees and stock with tint base tractor enamel?

Slack

2. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

my local ppg distributor has alkyd enamels that they can mix anywhere from satin to gloss and in between, i would try them if you have a local store,not much more per gallon than tractor supply. mine is painters supply in the detroit area

3. BJR

BJR

If you filled out your profile, we would know where you lived. Then someone may have a local recommendation for you.

4. zzford

zzford

If you use straight alkyd enamel, it'll go flat in no time in the sun.

Steve Ray likes this.

5. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Another source would be a Sherwin Williams industrial paint store. I've got a 20 ton equipment trailer we sandblasted and painted 25 years ago using S-W epoxy primer and alkyd enamel. It ain't shiny, but it doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere, top or underside. My dad has used some of the Tractor Supply tractor paint on equipment, and I've noticed it starts to chalk much faster than the Sherwin Williams enamel.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. Slackdaddy

Slackdaddy
    from Maryland

PPG on every corner, I just have not been in one for 25 years,, as they don't carry goat chow.
    But really, I last used "auto paint" back in the late 70's when it was simple: Lacquer or enamel.
    I have stuck with Rustolium for my "projects" as I don't have a CLUE about all these new auto paint systems.

Do you know what the PPG line of Alkyd enamel is,, so I don't look Totally stupid??
    I do have a S-W account, I will check out their Industrial paints, except i'll have to find where there local industrial outlet is.

7. Slackdaddy

Slackdaddy
    from Maryland

Central Maryland, just east of DC,, to damned close to DC.

8. henry29

henry29

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

10. i have sprayed benjamin moore porch and deck alkyd enamel with good results, comes in all colors and finishes.
    i recently did a 42 willys with george kirby boat paint. sprays ok and flows out nice. once dried it is surprisingly tough! they have a variety of colors. they may be able to custom mix?
    https://kirbypaint.com/collections/kirbys-marine-paints

11. fyi i did not choose the colors.
    DSCF0006.JPG

12. Slackdaddy

Slackdaddy
    from Maryland

I'll check out the boat paint too,,, ugh, yeah,,, Who picked those colors??

13. the customer's, clothing designer, girlfriend. perfect colors for a sundress:rolleyes:

14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I have used tractor paint on a car and other stuff before with good results but honestly the step up to some fleet acrylic enamel isn't much more of a step up10-20$ a gallon or so and quite a bit easier to deal with on a car paint job

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. Slackdaddy

Slackdaddy
    from Maryland

S-W was a bust, no custom colors and Gloss only,,
    PPG talked to a fella at the commercial/Industrial PPG sales place, Custom colors but only 3 choices of sheen, Gloss, Gloss or Gloss. He is hooking me up with a old timer that does fleet enamel. We shall see.

16. try the ben' moore porch and deck. for the record i am not really a fan of the alkyd stuff for cars, it is a pain to paint over [needs to be stripped off] and doesn't look as good as "real" paint but i understand it has it's uses.......

17. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Generally speaking hardeners convert alkyd enamel to acrylic enamel, and increase durability and gloss.
    Achieving a desired level of lower glass requires experimenting with hardener/color mix ratios and either spraying or brushing out test panels.
    Lower priced paints offer extremely limited color choices compared to automotive color
    producers.

Frankie47 likes this.