Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gasser Class-er-fication on HAMB and in the world

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evobuilder

evobuilder

So, where do Gassers fall into the HAMB classification.... Hot Rod or Custom? Is it based on year/era, is it based on raced/not raced, places in history or time, etc. Is this the great debate or is there some HAMBtionary that explains it all?

2. squirrel

squirrel

They aren't hot rods or customs. They're race cars, or street/strip cars. But you can call them hot rods, just don't do so in front of a guy with a traditional deuce!

Chili Phil, Dean Lowe, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I keep bugging Ryan to start a third section for race cars....

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Based on what Squirrel and Roothawg are saying I'd say whether its a true Gasser or an inspired Gasser it would fit in the Hokey Ass Message Board forum. 65 and down still applies regardless of forum.

You would be best to call your ride an Inspired Gasser if it is not truly a Traditional Gasser as in the real deal it raced the strip as one. Why because these rules apply to Hotrods and Customs as well.

Theres many a closed thread on the Gasser subject largely due to misinterpretation of what constitutes a true Gasser. If it is just a street car made up to look a little like it, it is an Inspired Gasser.

Just as I post The Ole Hotrod I have in the Hokey Ass Message Board as for a few details it does not meet Traditional Hotrod Guidelines therefore it is considered inspired...I have no problems with this.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    rfraze likes this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Depends on who you're talk'n to!
    There never was much debate until the "gasser" cloners came on scene.

gas pumper and Baumi like this.
  6. While I agree with the gist of what you are saying, I disagree on the word 'cloners.' The majority are not clones because that would imply accuracy. Most are 'fantasy gassers' or current day versions of street freaks.

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Don't care. There are more important things to worry about.

williebill and 49ratfink like this.
  8. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Read these books.

Attached Files:

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Since my build is a traditional Gasser using a non-traditional body, but one that would have been illegal because of the wheelbase back in the day. I just put it in the hot rod section.
    They do need a race car section that has cars that were either old race cars or new ones being built with to emulate the old ones.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So you're saying I was being gratuitous by using the word cloner.
    How does "abomination" sound to you then.

Chili Phil and gas pumper like this.
  11. That sounds right to me.

BHR301, jnaki, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  12. In my opinion ,they are gasser "tribute" cars. Not quite 100% retro, but somewhat close. That is of course, unless actually raced , as in SEGA cars.
    If you want to know where the line between gassers and street freaks has been crossed, take a look at the F/B Gassers page. LOL

13. Be patient, we who were around for the Gasser Wars will eventually die or fade away into drooling old men, with blank stares. Then Gasser can mean anything you'd like. But, until then, some of us would appreciate you picking a different name for your whatevers. I'm not going to be the Knucklehead that posts an old NHRA rule book. But, a lot of us know what a gas class car was. You may have your own opinion, but not your own facts. Try to show respect for the history that this board believes as the gospel.
    Thank you.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that Phil.
    This is FAR from a new issue but............when will it all end?
    Here's the problem, just because you Google "Gasser" and this comes up, it doesn't make it so.
    I'm sure the owner of this is very proud of it, but a gasser it is not!

[​IMG]

16. "abomination"
    club cruz 10-18-08 060.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That hurts my eyes, and I'm not even a big MOPAR fan!

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Double Shoot....

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Yes. Racecars are a different category from street driven traditional hotrods, even though a tiny fracture of cars were street driven and raced

20. If wanted to build a 1959 era AG class car I damn sure couldn't do it by looking at and copying a period correct 1964 era AG class car. Absolutely era defined first, then everything else.

21. YUP! And DOUBLE YEP!!!

Special Ed likes this.
  22. USA today show. Main stream media

JUNK ROD likes this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True words right there. That was also the time frame that things changed from running your stock bodied street sedan with the bigger later engine in it in Gas class turned running purpose built race cars in gas classes.
    In the mid 50's my step father traded for a 52 Ford Victoria with a 56 Thunderbird special engine in it that ran in C Gas at Ellensberg Wa and held the track record. Seems like the et was in the 14's at the time The car was lowerd front and back and looked more like a cruiser than a racer. About 1958 I am on the bookmobile on Bainbridge Island Wa and discovered Hot Rod Magazine and in the race coverage were some early raised up for weight transfer gas class cars. The era had changed to more of what we seen now.
    Just thinking about it the majority of the 37/39 Chevys I saw at the 1973 Street rod Nationals in Tulsa would be called gassers today.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I see a divide here and completely understand the passion so perhaps there is a need as discussed for a Traditional Race/ Traditional Street-able Race Forum. The Inspired Race offshoots belong in Hokey Ass Message Board. What you call them will always be a contentious disputable issue but if you keep things respecting the forums of choice it would help. New Forums have been addressed before and for now it seems as status quo is it so if its not truly Traditional there's only one place...The Hokey Ass Message Board Forum...

Violation of forum content seems an ongoing issue...some innocent others not so much. Personally if I had a car that didn't officially compete race wise I wouldn't call it anything other than an inspired vision of...

Lastly and it's a really cool forum and together all forums add up to The Hamb so The Hokey Ass Message Board is always open for business with the inspired by whatever offshoots.

Special Ed likes this.
  25. What a load of crap. So, now any gomer that strolls into a car show can define what a gasser is? The same good folks who call a nice hot rod or custom, a rat rod? Remember "Nice dune buggy"? I find it pretty f*cked up that facts are considered malleable these days.

26. The 'do anything, however you feel like, rules don't count, call things whatever you want etc.' brigade's way of thinking is what leads to a whole lot of people who don't know how to hold a knife and fork.

hotroddon, alchemy, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  27. BTW, 49ratfink said: "well the fact is if your buddy says "did you see that blue gasser 56 Chevy? " at a show and there is a blue 56 with a straight axle you will know exactly what he is talking about. so will everyone else."
    If my buddy said that, and I walked out to find some ridiculous thing that looked like it should be pulling a plow, I'd come back and ask "What gasser?". But then, my buddies know the difference between shit and shoe polish...

Parts48, hotroddon, alchemy and 3 others like this.
  28. evobuilder

evobuilder

well, in true HAMB fashion... question asked, madness ensued, blood pressures raised, question not answered.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Ferdyeight and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think if your 56 became a racing version with details any later than 65 it truly does not meet the guidelines and belongs in the Hokey Ass Forum.

Where you post your build and what you consider it are ethical decisions you have to make. Gasser aside if its got disc brakes and the front rims for instance are not 65 and down original or replicas it ain't traditional.

Its for the most part quite straight forward.

If it were me and things were not truly traditional I would have a Mod move the thread accordingly.

I don't have much knowledge about the gasser definition but perhaps Race inspired is a better description.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    evobuilder likes this.
  30. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I've always called my avatar, a "wannabe gasser".

Stogy and evobuilder like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.