Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical QUICK CHANGE HELP

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joemama, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joemama

Joemama

Looking for suggestions from the experts. I have a quick change that I need to install a new pinion bearing and cannot get the pinion assembly out try heating the entire center section to 350 and she didn't budge. I was wondering how are these removed with out causing any damage?

Attached Files:

2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You did take the pinion retainer off didn't you? It's bolted inside the change gear cavity.

You did just right on the heating. You have to let them heat soak at 350 for a bit, maybe 20 minutes. If you have a temperature gun that will tell you the actual temp of the aluminum.

Once its hot, you set it with the change gear opening facing down. I use a piece of plywood with a couple of 2x4s.
    Sometimes it will just fall out due to gravity, sometimes you have to help it with a brass hammer or punch.

If you can't get it out, send it to me. I'll give you $25 for the scrap and pay the freight :D

3. Joemama

Joemama

Thank you for the reply. Attached is a pic of the rear of the housing and you can see the pinion retainer is removed. But I could see that as a definitely a potential problem. I let it soak a 350 for 1/2 an hour with a thermal couple on it reading active temp while in the oven.

I think I'm going to try to reheat and double check the temp. With my IR point and shoot.

Then try to tap down on wood like you suggested. Hopefully she moves. Cross your fingers. Lol

I will let you know about the scrap. o_O

Attached Files:

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

If it's aluminum (looks like it) you could go to 400. I wouldn't try it with mag.

When you get it out, check back. I can guide you through replacing the bearings with a double tapered roller. More expensive, but bullet proof. You'll love it!

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I block the housing up on the cover end, heat the pinon bearing area with a torpedo shop heater to about 350-400 and gently tap on the nose of the pinion. When the temperature is right, it will gently tap out, or fall out by gravity.

Good luck, -Abone.

grumpy32 and Joemama like this.
  6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

^^^^^^^
    If your wife won't let you use her oven.

Joemama likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, don't do that with magnesium. At minimum, you could ruin the part. At maximum, you could ruin your life.

Tim and Joemama like this.
  8. Joemama

Joemama

GearheadsQCE

Thank you for the help. I reheated the center section to 360 at 30 min insuring the area around the pinion bearings wear 350°. A couple of wacks and the pinion assembly was on my fab bench.

I definitely want to heat about the double tapper bearing conversion?

Attached Files:

big duece likes this.
  9. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

I wait till the boss of the kitchen goes out for the day.... then the big heating receptacle is all mine to do with as I wish

Sent from my SM-G920I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Joemama likes this.
  10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

This exactly what I did many years ago. Wife's brand new oven, hadn't even baked one thing in it yet. While she was out, I heated a case and got the pinion out. The only problem was that the smoke set off the detector and the smell wouldn't leave.
    A couple of hours later she returned. NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!
    34 years later, I still have that oven (in my shop)

big duece and grumpy32 like this.
  11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Joemama,

Here is the double tapered roller upgrade in a nutshell.
    Remove ball bearings from pinion
    Replace with modified cones and cup
    Replace nose ball bearing with roller brg.
    Install Posilock pinion nut
    Reinstall pinion assembly
    Modify bearing retainer
    Set pinion preload

I'll have to check on the actual part numbers. I'm not trying to keep it a secret, but I don't want to tell you the wrong thing.
    When you get the bearings off the pinion, measure the diameter of the pinion shaft. Could be about 1.375" or 1.500". That will make a difference as to which bearing cones you will need.

Bruce

grumpy32 likes this.
  12. Joemama

Joemama

Bruce

Thanks for the info. I gotta ask have you thought about doing a tech article? I could definitely use it. I'm not certain about how to set the bearing preload?

Jeremy

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

It might take me a few days to get it together. I don't have a Halibrand V8 case here to show but I think I can fake it;)

Winters has the set-up procedure in their online catalogs. But it doesn't address the bearing change over.

Joemama and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Sorry to hijack this thread but, i have a rodsville case i am about to build. Its gonna be set up with the ford pinion bearings. My question is, is the pinion support bearing used a stock ford bearing?

15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't know if Rodsville bored their cases for the double tapered roller bearing. If not, you will have to grind the o.d. of the bearing race about .0015".
    My guess is that it does not. Ford used a fractional sized bearing (2.000" o.d. and 1.000" i.d. if i remember correctly.) All the Quickchange cases I have ever worked on used a metric bearing. This means that you have to turn the nose of the pinion to fit. Since you are already having to cut the splined end for the rear cover bearing, that shouldn't be a big deal.

Do yourself a favor and use a roller bearing on the nose of the pinion. It's only about 100 times stronger than the ball bearing. I have them in stock if you need a source.

I don't know if Rodsville bored their cases for the double tapered roller pinion bearing. If not, you will have to grind the o.d. of the bearing race about .0015".

16. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

The way I switched over to Original Ford tapered roller bearings (Timken) was to have a machine shop make a sleeve whose inside diameter was .001 inch smaller than the outside diameter of the pinion shaft and the outside diameter the same size as a Ford pinion gear. Heat shrink the sleeve on and no other modifications are necessary. If you are using a Ford ring and pinion you need to have the end of the pinion ground to the ID of the bearing in the cover about 3/4 of an inch long.

17. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

This is what it says about the rodsville cases
    880BD848-EF5C-41CB-88DA-8537A457E16F.png

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Oldspeed,
    That's a way to do that I had never thought about doing it that way. To make it clear to those in, the pinion you are talking about has a reduced shank for the ball bearings that were originally use in the Halibrand. The Ford pinion does not require a sleeve.

lodaddyo,
    There is your answer, pinion bore is correct for the Timken bearing. The nose diameter bit still applies.

lodaddyo likes this.
  19. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Yep. I was pretty sure that it machined for the ford taper. Ill send you a message about the pinion nose bearing
    Thanks for the help

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm outta town for a couple of days. Maybe computerless.

21. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

That is correct, I had a pinion for ball bearings used in the Halibrand. Thanks for the clarification