Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OK, Let's talk air compressors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been running a 25 year old Black Max from Sam's. It's been a good old compressor for what it is. It's starting to do crazy things, so I figure it's time to start looking at a decent new compressor. I would like to stay away from the big box store type compressors. I don't have 3 grand to spend either. I was thinking in the 1200-1500 dollar range.

What do you think about Champion compressors?

2. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

When my old one went south I bought one from North Central Air in Downs, KS. I've had it 7 or 8 years and has not given me any problems. They delivered and set up. Since you are in Oklahoma they may have that service in your area. Website is : ncaircompressors.com ( and the price was very competitive)

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

It kinda stumbles, acts like it doesn't have enough umph anymore. Maybe the magnetic starter is getting weak? Tonight I came home and the pressure relief was open and the compressor wouldn't shut off with the manual arm. I jacked around with it and finally got it to shut off. I need something with more cfm as well. I'll keep this one going and maybe move it up to the house for mama to air up tires and such.

4. Go to the Garage Journal there are lots of compressor threads over there.

5. squirrel

squirrel

That Quincy compressor looks like what I'd get to replace mine....which is 40+ years old and getting tired. But about the same specs.

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The main thing you want to have is a cast iron pump, min 2cylinders , two stage with at least a 5 hp motor at low rpm 1500 to 1800 . Higher rpm will deliver more heat and line moister ,less power do your homework!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    j-jock, H380, ChefMike and 1 other person like this.
  8. I've been eyeing a new compressor, although my 5HP IR still works ok. A suggested spec to check is weight; that may give you some insight on how well they're built....

'51 Norm likes this.
  9. Joe H

Joe H

deathrowdave likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a scroll, not a rotary screw.

One shop I worked in had a Quincy OSI-245 rotary screw compressor. That thing ran the whole shop, full-tilt, and never ran out.

FIFTY horsepower, 220-cfm.

11. Roothaug.......your pressure relief valve open constantly is a sign of a clogged/sticky check valve. On your tank where the pipe from the pump enters, there is a check valve. From the outside, it just looks like a fitting for the fill tube, but it actually is a spring loaded plunger/type valve. If it gets sticky with debris, and won't close, the pressure relief switch won't shut off until the tank is emptied instead of shutting off after just that "fill tube" is emptied. Most can be taken apart and cleaned, or replacement purchased cheaply at a compressor service shop.
    What I found out when mine was sticking was that that was an indication of my pump going bad and building up all kinds of crap that was being forced into the lines and check valve.
    The reason for all that stuff is just to be able to drain the fill tube from air pressure so the pump is not starting under a load.
    If you do change your pump, make sure the pulley on the motor is the correct diameter to give the proper pump rpm.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Roothawg likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Little off topic as I just picked up a 7.5 DeVilbis from a tire shop that was having troubles with it. Paid $400. I didn't have the time to fiddle with it so I took it to a DeVilbis service centre. Another couple of hundred to tune it up and now I'm good to go with approx. 150-170 psi and 25 cfm. And the motor was replaced a couple of years back. You may get lucky by buying used.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Just remember when buying a compressor HP is not the answer it is CFM . HP ratings are now labeled as developed HP , it’s a great sales pitch . Kinda like fishin , bait the hook throw it in and see who we catch .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warbird1, TTR and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  14. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I bought a 5-hp Quincy for my home garage - 60 gal and 2 stage. Had it one month so - great compressor. All USA made contents - not just “assembled in USA”. I out have bought larger - but only 50 amp 220 service in garage and no expansion in service panel .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

Very happy with my 20 year old (purchased new) 5 hp., two stage, 80 gal. vertical tank, made in America, Quincy compressor.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  16. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i bought a bel air 2yrs ago runs everything in my shop. and comes with a 5yr warrenty very pleased with it

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

5hp/60ga/Sanborn here. Going on 25yrs. Getting a little tired, but still working pretty good. My next, I'll upgrade to a 2-stage. Sandblaster & DA give it a workout, but that's not daily duty. Keeping them drained and regular oil changes helps 'em live.

18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have a belair 2 stage 80 gallon tank I love it keeps up with my sand blaster and everything else I do

Roothawg likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  20. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a duel stage 5 horse on a 80 gal tank Sanborn Magna Force that I've had for 20/25 years and no problems. One set of belts and a couple oil changes. Blow out the air intake filter and the dust out of the motor once in a while and try to keep the tank drained. Lucky?

Roothawg likes this.
  21. Ford Farmer

Ford Farmer

I just picked up a late 60's Worthington double piston compressor with a 1952 hand crank Wisconsin 9.2 hp engine for power. Cleaned the carb and she runs like a champ. Puts out some serious air too...not bad for a $50

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Kinda what I was thinking. Now to convince Mama Root....

23. I've got the same 5hp, 60 gallon Sanborn that Slowmotion has and it won't keep up with my die grinder. I'l have to live with it as I only have a little 1 car garage and only 1 project car. Wish I'd bought a bigger one tho.

24. Joe H

Joe H

Lets take two compressors of the same cfm rating and motor HP, if one has a 60 gallon tank, the other a 30 gallon tank, will the compressors run the same amount of time? The 30 gallon will kick on quicker, but won't the 60 gallon run longer once it kicks on? I am looking to replace Craftsman 30 gallon.
    Whats the relationship between tank size and air volume?

25. This is a very good compressor Root. If you buy one from a big box store odds are it comes from the same Canada company. I have one from a farm store and it is excellent for the money. Just make sure you don't fall for PEAK HP vs. CONTINUOUS. Peak can look impressive and be 3x the actual HP and it is measured just at startup. CONTINUOUS and CFM are the two main things to look at

26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think your two best bets are either Champion or Saylor-Beall. Both are made in the USA, not just assembled in the USA with Chinese parts. For between $2100 and $2500, you can get a unit with a Baldor motor, magnetic starter, 80 gallon tank and 100% duty cycle. Personally, of the two, I'd give the nod to the Champion simply because it makes the same cfm but at a slightly lower pump RPM, so theoretically less wear and tear on the pump and lower air temps. Both are excellent choices and would be an "end game" type of unit. If you really feel saucy and want to spend up to the limit of your budget, the Champion even offers a similar compressor but as a full pressure oil system.

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's true in theory. I have a friend that bought a used propane tank (500 gallon) and plumbed it as his accumulator. His compressor runs for an hour, but only once a week or so. It's probably a wash in the end. He just hates hearing the compressor run and likes to have as much air as he can stand.