Register now to get rid of these ads!

37-38 Buick trans with early olds gears etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fedcospeed, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Pontiac input shafts are 1-1/8" 10 spline, yes. I assumed Olds was the same, I think that size was common for many years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  2. Just out in the shop looking at output shafts and see that I have one that look similar to your Pontiac in that it has that metal barrel spacer between the speedo drive gear and the rear bearing. I don't suppose you have a complete picture of that shaft or it's dimensions handy? Be nice to know for sure that it is a Pontiac piece which I will never use:rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Paul. looking at the pilot nose it appears a groove is cut or worn in it. Never seen that before. I wonder how they made up the difference in length running it behind an Olds?

4. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

1956 Pontiac main shaft, overall length 20-7/8"[​IMG]

5. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I also thought the groove was strange. But maybe this transmission was built to go behind a Pontiac?

6. That is certainly possible. My observation was that it is painted the same color as the Olds bellhousing suggesting that it may have been attached to an Olds or maybe they sat it up and found it wouldn't work being too short. Who knows?
    Thanks for the shaft dimensions. I will look at mine tomorrow.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The red bell and transmission did not come to me from the same source.

8. Well, tricked me for sure!

9. Sixhundred sixteen

Sixhundred sixteen
    from Utah

Just a P.S. to ( hopefully ) compliment your comment here & Skankin's: You will notice
    that your Olds input splines are tapered down to the pilot surface whereas the Pontiac
    is not tapered. The Olds splined diameter is larger than the Pontiac as well. ( Pontiac
    splines are the same as a Chevy ). - I run a ( mid-50s ) Buick input shaft which is the
    same spline as the Pontiac but, the Pontiac is shorter. ( The reason for this
    is the tranny is behind a Nailhead ).

10. 616...good point about the diameter of those shafts! What is the rest of your tranny behind the nailhead besides that input shaft? Just curious, you know.

11. Sixhundred sixteen

Sixhundred sixteen
    from Utah

'37 - '38 Buick 6 bolt case, '51-'56 Buick / Olds gears, Olds ( '51-'56 ) mainshaft & tail housing.
    A '49 - '52 Pontiac rear-end which accepts '39-'56 Pontiac pumpkins & 'some' Olds ( '47 &
    up us better ). A 401 Buick has powered my '36 Plymouth since 1965. - The '49-'52 axle housing
    was perfect to maintain wheel track; only increased by 1/4'' each side.

12. Sixhundred sixteen

Sixhundred sixteen
    from Utah

Attached Files:

13. Sixhundred sixteen

Sixhundred sixteen
    from Utah

On the left is a main drive / input shaft for a '56 Buick; notice the step at the pilot tip.
    On the right is a '51-'56 Olds input shaft; larger diameter at the the splines ( than the Buick or
    a Pontiac ).

Attached Files:

vtwhead likes this.