Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I found her and she is pretty 1933 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Spencer Caldwell, Feb 3, 2018.

1. rusty valley

rusty valley

2. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

I think they are Buick headlights when researching them but could be wrong I will post pics later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. '33 5window coupe, the absolute best of the model 40s in my opinion. That car has got tit on spades. :cool:

A little caution and a chance to learn from my mistakes, do not over think it. It is off to a good start as it is, do what is necessary to make it go and drive it. Maybe you'll want to change it up later but give it a chance to run and drive and make you happy first.

4. murpa

murpa
    from .

Now that is a great find ! Your a Lucky dude

loudbang and Spencer Caldwell like this.
  5. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

Tim thank you so much for coming out and checking out my project and giving me a gauge panel and ring. Very nice to meet u and your friends. I really appreciate the advice.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Spencer, your car has great bones. The chassis will be an easy build since it has all the basic parts, just needs refurbished. The bodt needs some but nothing time and work cant handle. Keep us posted!

7. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Spencer Caldwell,

Congrats.......Looking forward to watching your Model 40 Build.
    I would highly recommend reaching out to Tom for all your Sheet Metal Replacement Panel needs during your build.
    R & J Enterprises
    Arkansas City, KS
    620-441-0032

MR CLEAN

ls1yj, RODIST, timwhit and 3 others like this.
  8. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

Alright tonight was a start, I removed some weird spray Styrofoam from the inner cowl and found no patch panels to the lower cowl and then felt frisky and yanked the 8b out. Next, will be disassembly of the motor and send it to the machine shop. I am going to remove the tranny and get it overhauled. Next will be removing the same foam from the rear quarters. Then splitting the body from the chassis and then soda blasting here we come. Thanks everyone for all the help and timwit for all the wisdom.[​IMG]

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

good to get that spay foam outa there, it holds moisture. i am a 59ab sorta guy, but many folks like the 8ba block. what is the tranny, have you pulled the shift cover off? easy to tell if its got the good later gear set in there. if the slot for the shift fork goes in the center, like slicing a bagel in half, its old junk, and if its slot is way over at the edge, its the "39" style. best wishes

10. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

I have a 59ab sitting next to the car and I will send u a pic of inside the tranny cover and you could let me know if it's junk!! Thanks alot for the info!!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

The web is still there!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Spencer,, your going to be in good hands with all these guys around. Are you going to build the 59ab or the 8ba? You might be carefull about putting the 59 block on an engine stand. Generally thought of as being hard on the bell housing. Send us pics of the frame when the body is off. Glad your going after it. Tim

loudbang likes this.
  13. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

Thanks Tim, the 59 was on the engine stand when u came to visit this week. But i think i am going to build the 8b because i already have a tanny, and driveline made for it. So, i figured i should just rebuild everything and get the car on the road. Like you said its got good bones just needs refurbished!! Thanks again for the gauge panel!!

loudbang likes this.
  14. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

this car oozes with cool, cant wait to watch the build.

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

tranny and drive line are the same for the 59ab, just unbolt the front ring off the trans and then the tranny goes on the 59ab. 8ba's are a tight fit in model 40's because the belt and pulleys got farther away from the block to make room for the distributor. its been done, but tight. some folks put all the early parts on the 8ba block to shorten it up again. change the cam to run a crab dizzy, and then the early water pumps, and heads go on too. some food for thought

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  16. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

So this is the inside of the tranny. Any ideas???[​IMG][​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  17. rusty valley

rusty valley

its looks a little crusty, but it does have the later "39" style synchro with the slot way to the rear, and not in the center. i would take it apart and see how bad the rust is. individual parts are expencive and you may find another whole tranny for less, but tear it down to see first. i suggest buying the book from vanpelt sales, you will be glad to have it. the later gear sets are harvested from 40-48 side sift (3 on the tree) trannys, that are common and cheap. they come in two ratios, one with a lower first and second, identified by the front gears in the case 29 teeth on the cluster, and 15 on the input shaft, or the more preferable 16 input, and 28 cluster for a little taller 1st and 2nd. buy the book, tear it down, its easy. http://www.vanpeltsales.com/ some times parts can be had at ebay too .lets see the top of the shift cover to see if you got the good one

loudbang likes this.
  18. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

I will get pictures of it. The guys mention he installed zephyr gears but I will have to count them when I disassemble it.

loudbang likes this.
  19. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I have two 48 ford car trannys just laying in my garage if you need anything. Cool project. BART.

20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Go to Costco and buy a couple gallons of cheap white vinegar. Don't know what it would do to syncros, but the steel will come out looking new.

Nailhead A-V8 and loudbang like this.
  21. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

Here is the shifter!!![​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  22. rusty valley

rusty valley

looks like the good double detent 81A . you saved 150 bucks right there

Spencer Caldwell and loudbang like this.
  23. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

Alittle update for the guys who are helping me... I started with the front suspension trying fix the issues ordered all the new parts. So hopefully that will be done soon. I got a new engine that wasn't sitting outside for 20 years with the heads off. That will be taken to the machine shop to get punch out and rebuilt. I am rebuilding the transmission while the motor is away. Thanks everyone for the help!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71, expavr, ls1yj and 3 others like this.
  24. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great score! Good luck with your build and have fun!

25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Be careful soaking cast iron in vinegar. I turned a set of Johnson lifters into chalk that way. A good soak in solvent is probably a better idea.

On steel vinegar works fine. But molasses works better.

26. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

27. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Sweet five window....

Spencer Caldwell likes this.
  28. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Watching, Congrats!

29. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

this is looking like it's going to be a good one. definitely subscribed!