Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Getting a vehicle from Hays,KS.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rjones35, Feb 10, 2018.

1. rjones35

rjones35

I see people on here a lot asking about moving a car from here to there, so I thought I would ask. I'm looking to get a 62 International truck from out by Hays,KS and need to get it to Kansas City, so not too far really. Anybody in the area that can that reasonably? I tempted to try driving it, but seems like a bad idea. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's only 250 miles. +/-
    Take a buddy with you and go one way rent a Uhaul Trailer in Hays and drop off the trailer at another Uhaul in KC.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwirr-LM35vZAhUHyFkKHf8BCEQQgU8ISTAB&url=https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Truck-Rentals-near-Hays-KS-67601/053417/&usg=AOvVaw3ROwWIy3nG4I7-XRmN79lk

Or if you don't have a pick up truck - rent a Uhaul Truck and Trailer in KC and go to Hays to pick up and head back to KC but you'll pay for the miles.

If the rear end is solid and rear wheels turn freely - you might be able to dolly it as a way to save some bucks.

When you put the word reasonable - you will learn quickly your reasonable may be very apart from someone else's reasonable hauling it.

Figure at least a 1.25 - 1.50 per mile.

Hope that helps.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why is driving it a bad idea? Tires or brakes an issue? Perforated radiator? Bagpipe jammed under the valley cover? Load up a buddy and tools, and go have an adventure!

tubman likes this.
  4. rjones35

rjones35

Yeah I guess driving actually might not be so bad. Back roads, with somebody following, probably be ok.

5. ...you can drive it home in one day...let's see some pics

rjones35 likes this.
  6. rjones35 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

266 miles on 70 isn't that bad if the truck will hold 55 or 60. From driving Kansas back roads in that area a few years ago you get to see some great country and there are some great little hole in the wall places to eat but that 266 would probably top 400 before you were done if you did backroads.
    If you rent a U haul the tow rig needs to be big enough to handle the trailer and the vehicle on the trailer and a half or 3/4 ton pickup is about all those trailers will handle. Some local equipment dealers may rent trailers that are heavy enough by the day that will handle the job.
    Just thinking about it, Hays KS was the first place I was ever in a Walmart of any kind or th first time I saw one. I bought a trailer hitch ball and some oil as I was on my way to Oklahoma to pick up a new cattle trailer than to Texas to pick up my family and bring them back to Washington.

rjones35 likes this.
  8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it a pickup or a truck? If it's a Loadstar Series or an R-200 Series it's going to take a big trailer and tow vehicle.

9. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DRIVE IT! Its not just a job but an adventure!

rjones35 likes this.
  10. rjones35

rjones35

Dang! Thanks for the replys but the deal fell apart. Oh well, maybe next time.

11. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Very sorry to hear that Sir,

I hope you have better luck on the next one. If it turns out the next one is farther away & you don't want to get it yourself, See the Hamb O Dex section where the 3 QUALITY transporters here on the Hamb advertise : BenD, Racinman & Myself. You can see close to 500 references/all positive feedbacks between the three of us posted by ACTUAL fellow Hambers who have used our services in the past, as well as pictures of our equipment.

God Bless
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

5window likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

Bill will tell you like it is. He hauled for me and it couldn't have gone better. It's a stand-up guy who will mention other quality haulers. Follow his advice and get one of these three folks to do your hauling. All positive reviews-where else do you see that?

Bill's Auto Works likes this.