Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Coupe Build Thread: I bought the "What Is a Fair Price For This Car"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreaserJosh13, Feb 8, 2018.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I don't know if this one is any better than the first one I was asking about.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Speed~On

Speed~On

If you can purchase this Model A for $8,500, that would be a really good deal. If it were me, I'd already be at his house handing over the Ben Franklins. In my part of the country, this car would sell pretty fast. The 30/31 coupes are arguably the most desirable of the Model As.
    320447c4c817e03c97da988f3d815c55.jpg

I read your post yesterday and I immediately thought, "$10,000 - $12,000 in this part of the US is what that car would go for".
    Even at $10,000 you won't lose money. If the subrails and lowers are in good condition, you are waaaay ahead of the game. If you're serious about buying a Model A coupe, I think you found your car.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  3. Never2low

Never2low

Something to consider...
    If it's running and drivable, nothing says you can't drive and enjoy it, while you spend a year or three building a deuce rail chassis, in your garage.
    Get the frame setup, drive train built up, brakes, ect.
    Then when the time comes, just swap the body over, and tie up some loose ends, (wiring and such).
    That way you don't find yourself late one night, 8 beers down, sitting in a pile of parts, making motor sounds, wishing you were driving it. (been there done that:oops:)
    2 cents

4. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree, I for sure don't know if it is any better. It is $500 cheaper before you make an offer and it also runs NOW. I am not advising you to purchase one over the other, I actually don't have a dog in this fight. You are the one asking about value, If "I" was interested I would have already been over to that first car you asked about with a battery in hand and try to find out what is what.

In the end this is up to you and what plans you are trying to fulfill, I don't have a problem with the price of either of these cars to start a project with. Pick one, both are not earth shattering deals, but both cars are for sure in the ball park, at least in my opinion they are. No one here on the HAMB is asking you to substitute there judgment for your's. In the end it is your call, so what do you think?

5. 47ragtop

47ragtop

My horse ain't in this race , but the black car is twice the car this green one is. Some poor Peterbilt is missing its bumpers and those exterior rumble seat hinges are something else ( what else is cobbled up or missing ). I have started with both junk and great cars and you are always ahead to start with the best you can find. As others have said , it's not what it costs but what it's worth !! Later Bill

6. ken bogren

ken bogren

I like this idea! Best of both worlds, or is that rides?

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I was ripped a new one on another post I was posting on the HAMB, I read the heading and like I normally do did not read all the posts first. In my opinion I thought $9,500.00 is a reasonably, fair offer for a model A. Upon reading all the posts I see that my thought of 95 hundred was not far off. I've done my homework. At 10.5 if I wanted a Model A I would buy it if you couldn't negotiate a better price.

Pat

9. Latigo

Latigo

Amazed that they ask $10,500 and won't even invest in a battery to show you it will run??? Big difference in the value of running or not. Suggest you low ball offer till you know it runs. Oh, and by the way, I'd love to see it behind my garage door! Sweet ride.

zzford and 46international like this.
  10. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Right now I'm still leaning towards the first one. I'm going to see it on Sunday.

harpo1313 and Tickety Boo like this.
  11. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

they are going for about 8000.00 in the condition shown if it runs good and drives decent.

12. It seems the range is between 8500-10.5, t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶g̶o̶t̶i̶a̶b̶l̶e̶, but you never know if a seller will take less if you don't ask. Always ask.
    I guess I should have paid attention, that seems to be a scam, thus deleted, well I guess it goes to show you, if the scammer bait is about right, then the original post in the car is worth about that much. Scammers seems to have the pulse on the value, theft threshold, haha.

You know your comfort level. You know what you want to spend and what you need to save to make it the car you want.

As far as "build it with just" the body crowd. That just a different avenue to build from, like Johnny Cash style. I would go with the sum of the whole and quality of the parts, be it original or nice repop. When you see take a look at all the details.

That blue one looked nice for a bit, but when the hinges and bumpers were called out, now it looks like more work.

As far as interior parts and all the little bits that make up the Model , you want to have those in nice complete condition. Some guys build hotrods here all day long, but they sell them before even putting windows in or an interior at that.
    Also note that some good advice had been posting as far as driving it while building your frame. that way you have something and not a pile o parts and wishful thinking.

Double check all the paperwork if you are buying it in the state, make sure the number jive or at least have the title state what it is.
    Also note that it very cool for it to come with the black plates already.
    Note that I added YOM plate to my car and they just tacked on an additional 40.00 a year registration for the added plates, this way if the plates are original and correct on the title you need not worry.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

13. Aint as cheap as the used to be, unless it is a score... Average restored, or in VGC, is over 10G's now. Sometimes a deal, sometimes not. I'm talking a restored, ( or whatever) the seller wants to call it, but not a POS. Seem's the going price out here=10=12 range. But = this is for a complete car. Up to buyer to do his/her magic....I had this for sale= clean title,ran like a watch, and had balkers....$6500..... Some time's you win, sometimes you loose..... Things are way out of hand now........

Attached Files:

14. fcarnut

fcarnut

This is a pure SCAM! Had the same conversation on a different car with the same "my husband passed away and me and my son just want to move and start over". Couldn't see the car in person and wanted me to put the money in an e-bay escrow which e-bay doesn't have. Buyer beware! There are a lot of people that work very hard at not working.

Vanness likes this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It should be up to the seller to make it run so you can drive it not you taking a battery along and you getting it to run, otherwise you should make your offer on a non running car, $1000 to $2000 less IMHO.

16. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Yeah. Just as a note to everyone reading this post. The scam car he's talking about is towards the beginning of this thread with the yellow rims.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

abe lugo likes this.
  17. That frame has $500 worth of tube and 4 link brackets.
    And It's mostly not right so I wouldn't count the $1000 or so he's got added in it for labor.
    The axles might be worth something if they are usable.
    That leaves the body holding the rest of the value.

joel, The37Kid and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  18. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

The frame is what turned me off of it. The guy that owns it is super cool & willing to answer all questions. After talking with him he said he's not too happy with the frame either & something about the builder walking away, so he has gotten a bad taste in his mouth over the whole thing. Kind of crappy situation. I feel for the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. What I see there is frame wise is not worth much, not worth saving, or more importantly not worth paying for. But that last part makes it worth crying over to the owner. He wants the next buyer to pay for all the sins. That way he's free of them. The big boy thing to do is throw it away, get over the loss and start over on a decent chassis. The quitters way is to abandon the dream and get someone to give you back the money.

Have look here.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ay-how-about-build-2-t-bucket-frames.1025433/
    Want one ?
    I Could do the same again and easily bump it out to any dimensions you want.
    Or, the model A would fit on one as is with some body mounts and trunk floor mods.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would have to look at it real close.....8 to 10 grand is a lot of money.

zzford likes this.
  21. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

22. I found out that unless the fenders and running boards are in very good condition you may have a hard time getting much money for them. Seems like anyone that wants them, wants only the best of shape or the market is flooded with cracked, rusted or otherwise damaged fenders. I just say this in case you plan to recoup some money when you build your rod. As someone else said all the other small items that go in a car cost money and you have to compete with other restorers and rod builders to get them. Stuff like garnish molding, latches, windshield parts etc... and the most important thing, the title. About five years ago I bought a Tudor sedan that was cheap but was just a shell with a frame, no title. The paperwork cost just about as much as the car, then I had to round up the smalls. The car had front fenders that I could not sell (not too bad but cracked and dented). The garnish parts cost way more than I would have thought, regulators were like $50 each, it all adds up.
    With all this said, it looks like you are going for a way more complete car, good. But like said before it is up to the seller to put the battery in and get it running, if he want running car money for it. Why do you think he won't install a $70 battery in the car so he can sell a running/driving car? I think if he does not get it running, he does not get running money.

Hombre and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. zzford

zzford

Spirit fiberglass body offers a 30 -31 coupe body for $6500. Plus, add in shipping. So $8500 for a complete car with no shipping charges and recouping some by the sale of stuff you don't need, doesn't sound too bad. And it's a genuine Henrymobile.

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. wvenfield

wvenfield

Side story.....my buddy just bought a car.....guy "guaranteed" it ran, it just needed a fuel pump (which is even cheaper than a battery). 5K firm. My buddy said he would pay that IF it ran. Guy hooked up a newer electronic fuel pump up to it. It started until it would flood itself.

We went back to his garage and got a mechanical pump and installed it (outside in the cold). Car started right up and ran. My buddy said "I had to fix your car for you" $4800?

He took it. LOL

25. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

4800.00 ?? , Wondering if the flathead is dressed and running.

26. Squablow

Squablow

This is what I would do. Build your complete chassis before you take apart your running 4 cylinder car, that way you can drive it in the meantime. Plus, by the time your new chassis is built, you will have found a derelict T roadster body or some such thing to stick on the 4 cylinder chassis and one car will have become two by asexual reproduction. Model A's are amoebas, apparently.

Budget36, kiwijeff, abe lugo and 4 others like this.
  27. XXL__

XXL__

Oh my. I don't think I'd want to roll in that frame.

28. WTF really

WTF really

Exactly what I'm doing.

29. Well please report back tomorrow if not tonight, what happened?

30. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. I went & looked at the car today. It is in great shape. I made a deal & the car is mine. We agreed on $8500.00. Just gotta figure out a day that works for the seller & myself. The family was super nice. It belongs to their father. He was there & said he can no longer work on the car because he has a lot of health issues & needs the money. They had the title there to compare it to the motor & it matched. They said they were told from the person they bought it from many many years ago had the car in Anaheim & that the car was used in Disneyland parades. No proof. Just a cool story. Can't wait to pick it up. I'll keep everyone posted on its journey to my house.