Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HELP! History needed on this 57 Chevy gasser barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I was lucky enough to purchase this car over the summer at an estate sale in Sterling, IL. For anybody who may be familiar with my Henry J, “The Abomination”, well... this 57 was almost the Abomination. I first saw this car when I was about 12. I was already looking for a gasser project and was out and about with my dad when we spotted this 57 in the weeds next to a barn. I managed to chat with the owner and look the car over, but it wasn’t for sale and the “let it go price” was steep. I never saw the car again, nor did I have a picture. 2 years later I bought my Henry J.

Fast forward 16 years and my buddy Neighborkidswillys texts me a picture of this car. The owner had passed away and this car along with a field of others went up for auction.

Here’s what I know about the car from it’s context clues. It was originally raced with a parallel leaf tube axle and was painted gold. The fronts are 15x4 cragars and the rear wheels are 16x10 steel slots with the old gold paint still under the primer. The front clip, doors, and trunk lid are fiberglass. The floors are aluminum. The rearend is a Chrysler 8 3/4. All of the windows are lexan. The front clip has no traces of gold which leads me to believe that it went under a transformation from the gold version. The next version appears to have been painted bronze, has a heavy engine set back, and looks to have possibly run a supercharger with a big catcher cut into the windshield.

After that, the blower motor must have been removed, the hole in the hood was patched, the windshield replaced, the car was painted gray primer, and run with a dual quad setup. The leaf springs were removed and the axle was solid mounted to frame and a rack and pinion steering added.

ANY information would be greatly appreciated.

578936EF-01BC-45B8-B665-57B932EE8BF4.jpeg
    0B426043-6C53-47FE-8E30-A20E5C5192FE.jpeg 640AFFC5-4519-45E4-975A-985E286AC09C.jpeg F858E45E-5315-45E3-AA46-B298138BAA34.jpeg
    E1800BBD-65E4-41D1-8796-BC5AF9ECC1E9.jpeg 1AD1A20F-D31B-4E3F-965D-145D53DA5980.jpeg 434A745A-5BE7-4585-9501-94F83EEAC281.jpeg 3BA087E9-F97E-4124-8751-FB87C5AC13E5.jpeg 924DE66C-CF5D-4461-B971-6F43D8EBA703.jpeg D26B0BDD-21A2-4CCE-ADE8-B7EEE7FD7531.jpeg

EVL401, GordonC, Just Gary and 23 others like this.
  2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

fucking awesome!

Deuces, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

unsafe at any speed...

4. Fuck that’s awesome! I can’t help with history but I’m infinitely jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Agreed

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you can't weld good, weld a lot.

weld.PNG

7. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

There’s some good stuff going on, but there’s some spooky stuff going on too. No reason to ever solid mount a front end... ever. Haha. Whoever originally built it, did a decent job for the time. Then some idiot in the 70s must have picked it up.

8. Ryan,...glad you "finally" got that 57,...I'll ask around over my way to see if we can get any info on it,..you'll make that into a cool car,...is that your new shop?

9. Man that's neat!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Solid mount front end prevents bump steer with rack and pinion steering!
    Yeah Great idea!
    KK

chryslerfan55, Deuces, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Cool hot rod!

Deuces, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Great! Thanks Sam. Yes that’s my new shop. Stop by sometime

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

LOTS of potential there! Looks like a Parkinson's disease affected Mr. MAGOO tried his hand at stick welding (sorry). I thought you were only kidding about the solid mount front axle until I looked closer. Is that an axle that's been flipped over? I see some brackets for the former front parallel leaf springs; take it back to that style. Typical older race car that has probably gone through several owners, each with their own idea of what needed to be done. I have seen much worse at the track over the years actually making passes; amazing what some tracks will look the other way on. Since it has a MOPAR rear end, why not keep it all MOPAR with a big wedge and torqueflite, and call the car "Christine's Cousin". Like I said, LOTS of potential, and a cool car. Does it still have a VIN tag on the drivers side A pillar, and is it really a post Bel Air (VIN tag would have a "C" in the beginning for a Bel Air)? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tri Fives can be mean looking Hotrods...Congrats @Von Hartmann and look forward to the resurrection.

15. catdad49

catdad49

Careful stripping of the primer may yield more clues. This one should be a good one! Please keep us updated.

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Agreed. A careful wet sand with #600 or so in all the areas that typically might reveal a drivers name (door sill, roof above door) or car name (door, upper quarter, lower trunk lid) which was popular at the time for track as well as street cars.
    I wonder if the car was strip only or also haunted the streets (before getting a solid mount front suspension), though I'd lean towards strip only. There's no license plate bracket on the trunk lid.

I'd say it's home built. Stick welds, no bead roller used on the aluminum interior panels, bolted together brake pedal, unfinished sabre saw wheel well cutouts.
    All of it's crudeness is what makes it cool.

I'd put leaf springs and a dropped or straight axle under it, a hot SBC, matching set of Cragars and drive it to work just as it sits!

17. Right on, Kool place to start. My first thought was it's never made a pass on any Track that lives up to NHRA rules. That sure wouldn't stop me from getting into it. I'd be thinking early injection on a small block.
    The Wizzard

chryslerfan55, Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  18. oldolds

oldolds

The chrome ladder bars hint at a build that had some quality when first done. The quality of the welds is typical of welding done in the 60's by a local welder of construction equipment not a trained industrial welder. That is why the more is better welding. The aluminum work also is of that time period. Only the real big buck builder did bead rolling. If you look at it the aluminum is thick to make it rigid. I would guess it was home built by a guy with more money than most but not pro built. Then somebody bought it with no clue about building a car.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  19. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I remember seeing a car just like that in a magazine 20 yrs ago - It was photos from an older dragstrip.......It was an older black and white photo then - the caption was centered on another car in the foreground, but then it noted - The '57 behind it is just plain nasty........don't know why I always remembered that - but the image of that mean stance always stuck with me.....same car? who knows? wish I could remember the mag.....rod and custom maybe?

20. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Bad ass just as it sits! Good find!

Stogy likes this.
  21. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

It is a real bel air. There just isn’t much left of what they originally started with. It has definitely gone through several owners and once upon a time saw some severe track use.

22. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Those are the same conclusions I came to. This car has some crude welds, but I have to admit, the design of its construction is superior to most garage builds of the time. They started with a roll bar kit and modified it from there. This car has more chassis crossmembers and cage bracing that any other period tri 5 I have seen. The passenger side ladder bar broke at some time and was rebuilt with heavier hardware. The car saw track time for sure.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  23. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

It was definitely run. Like I said, it was originally parallel leaf front suspension. The old mounts are still there. Once upon time, I believe this was a serious machine. Crude by today’s standards, but typical of the time. This is a lot more cage and structure than you see in most 60s cars.

Just Gary, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Von any idea were it ran I've snooped a bit already but Strip names help...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Question. Am I missing something? Rigid front end?

Like the stance, but maybe its an altered, seems like lots of setback.

26. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

You’re not missing anything. Somebody took the springs out, probably in the 70s, and mounted the axle to rails.

Just to clarify, there isn’t a single person on this board, including myself (even my 12 yr old self), that thinks a rigid front end is a good idea. Just trying to get history on the car.

And yes, it does have insane engine setback. Looks to me like more than 10%. I believe the car was run in Gas originally, and potentially run as an altered or match racer later on.

27. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I have no idea. I wish I knew, but the only guy that would have known, was the previous owner... and he’s dead. There are no stickers on the car. The primer is thin and there are no traces of lettering underneath to be seen yet. I would sand it to double check, but I’m not ready to do anything with this car, so I would rather it sit in “as found” condition.

28. I was just asking, sometimes I miss stuff. I actually like the nose down stance. Maybe not the solid axle but the stance wouldn't need to change much and still have springs. ;)

Neat car, needs a little help but that's what we do isn't it. You'll get it just perfect before you're done. ;)

29. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The nose down stance was always my favorite part about this car. Honestly, if I build this thing, the chassis is getting thrown away and I’ll build a proper chassis based off the original one using the original axle. Something that can handle the blower motor from the Freakin A. We’ll see. First things first... get some history before any clues are erased.