Register now to get rid of these ads!

broken AOD... and struggling to limit an epanding job.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk-junkie, May 1, 2006.

?
  1. go blow up another AOD

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Go find a C4

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. 351W/C6... it's already paid for and nobody will buy that truck anyway

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Go with the sbc/turbo 350.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Go do something impractical and forget about driving it this year.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

It looks like my "new" AOD is dying after a whopping 3000miles. I'm not thrilled with putting in another and potentially throwing away more $$. The shop that rebuilt it adjusted the TV setup, so I assumed it was done right. Going back to them isn't an option, I'm 2000 miles away now. Oh well, the damage is done, what do I do next?

Well, apparently I lack the self esteem to make a decision myself so I thought I'd put my easiest and most affordable options out there and see what folks think:

1st, the car: 47 ford coupe, 289, AOD, 3.00 (3.20?) rear. Rear was numerically too low, I was going to get to that later, but now maybe not.

Option 1: Just replace the AOD with another, they're fine, you just were unlucky/stupid, the planets are in alignment now. Just pony up you cheapskate... yada yada.

Option 2: Go find a C4, it'll work with the 289 and 3.00 rear.

Option 3: Pull the near new 351W C6 combo out of that box truck I can't seem to give away, put that in there, crush the truck, and sell the 289 to a mustang person.

Option 4: Pull the sbc/th350 out from under the bench and put that in, now all my cars run sbc's, it'll make parts hoarding easier. (will that trans squeeze into a stock cross member and not push the fan into the radiator?)

Option 5: Scour the world for the rare KnudsenPhitzer V12 pulse jetted 3 valve side hemi with the wurlitzer ignition option and kung fu grip... thus ensuring that I have a garage queen that I can sit and stare at while I grow more gray hair.

---------------------------

Seriously though, I never lift the hood on this car to show others. I suppose it is cute that it is "all ford" but I really don't care about that. All I want out of the engine/trans is to have reasonable power and be reliable.

I'm tempted by all my options, but I'm looking for advice. Thanks!

2. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

I'm shocked, nobody wants to tell me what to do?

3. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

new /rebuilt AOD...find someone that actually knows how to do the throttle pressure adj. Change to a 3.55, or a 3.73 rear.

drive :D

4. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Not to hijack this post, but I'd be interrested in hearing any tips to setting up an AOD to work with the carbed setup. I think I know, but I am about to attempt it for the first time.

5. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

Hijack away... I would like to hear from an expert as well. My copy of the factory motion ratios apparently didn't work out too well.

6. I'm not an AOD type so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Nix the SBC/ 350 turbo idea. you have too many other options.

The 351/C6 sounds good to me as does the C4 behind the 289 or the C6 from behind the 351 behind the 289.

With this setup you don't bother the rear gears at all, it'll do as well as anybodies AOD setup on gas and be a lot more durable.

OK now like I said take my thoughts with a grain of salt, don't like AOD trannies or OD trannies in general, never have.

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I have the "kit" from Total Performance...it has instructions that say to use an Oil pressure gauge to set the pressure using the TV cables. The Total Performance kit comes with the adaptors and cables to make it work with a carb, but as for me, not sure if it will work with my 2 bbl carb. I have talked to a couple people about this setup, and when set up correctly they really are happy with the driveability. They also warned (as I've heard numerous times) that if you don't set your TV cable correct, your trans will fry around 3000 miles after installation, which seems to coincide with your experience.

Apparently, in neutral, with the engine warmed up and running, you need to set the TV cable until your pressure gauge reads 0. The high side (pressure side) looks like it is the bottom line on the trans case, according to some web sites:
    http://www.becontrols.com/tech/aodfaq.htm#aodfaq_q3

But there is a "test port" that you hook into.

From same website:

"With a Gauge

You will need to install your gauge into the TV test port on the transmission. The port is eight inch pipe thread, and is located on the passenger side of the transmission. Toward the back of the transmission, above the pan rail you will find two 7/16" headed pipe plugs side by side. One plug is level with the outer edge of the pan rail, and the other plug is recessed. The recessed plug is the TV test port. Since this port is recessed, you may not see it if you are looking straight up from under the transmission, you will have to try to see over the pan rail."

Again, I have not performaned any of this yet, but I will be soon. FWIW, my trans is old, so if I make a mistake and burn it up, it's about due for a rebuild anyway. :)

8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Here are a couple links I found:

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

http://www.tciauto.com/instructions/431000_inst.htm

http://www.becontrols.com/tech/tvlinkage.htm

9. mikeyboy

mikeyboy