Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is Photobucket starting to wise up???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jan 31, 2018.

1. GTS225

GTS225

Not that I'm in any way favorable to PB, but this got posted on another board I frequent.
    Use it as you see fit.

Roger

"Well, not quite a fix, more like a workaround. It's simple: just append ~original to the image URL.
    So if the image URL was
    http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/me3/FooBar/2013-11-17 001 008_zpsqot7gscb.jpg
    which results in the "Photobucket has disabled 3rd-party hosting" blank placeholder image, then the new image URL is
    http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/me3/FooBar/2013-11-17 001 008_zpsqot7gscb.jpg~original
    You use it the same way, enclose it between [іmg] and [/іmg] tags, and it should make the actual image show up here on the board.
    Who the hell knows how long this will work (the door could slam shut tomorrow) but for the moment it's a useful bodge."

2. Do you own a business ?

If so - do you operate it for FREE ?

Do you have a job ?

If so - do you work for FREE ?

It takes MONEY to operate a business - some else has been PAYING the cost
    to store your media for FREE - now you have to pay ......

Jim

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you "own a business", but there is no longer a market for your product, the only way to move it is to give it away.

loudbang likes this.
  4. chev34ute

chev34ute

I always hated photobucket with a passion and always believed photobucket deleted users images despite my friend telling me that the users deleted the photos themselves. It turns out I was right. I have not used my photobucket account for at least 18 months as i have been able to upload my images directly onto The HAMB site.

5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

6. Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. Get real, they make money from advertising, just like Google and co.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  8. mountainman2

mountainman2

However, the business model that they presented to attract business was "Free Hosting". Then they change the model with no warning and no grandfathering. I see that you are in the transport business. Just for grits and shins, let's say that you offered free transport to attract business. Then you get the customer's car loaded on the east coast and head west. When you get to CA., you give him a call tell him that if he wants his car, he now has to PAY you. Yes, he can retrieve the car just as we can retrieve our pictures but it is going to be an expense and time consuming process. That's not business...it's extortion.

9. Good explanation. I began using Photobucket based solely on their policy of free hosting. Then one morning I wake up to find that thousands of posts on dozens of sites, that I have sweated over to hopefully make sense and be an asset to others, are now broken and useless. Oh, but wait! I can pay a lot of money today for what was originally given to me for free. But the protection money I pay today, I'll have to pay all over again next year or else Big Louie The Leg Breaker will take away those "free" images as my anniversary gift. Photobucket can kiss my bucket.

So yea, there are some fixes and band-aids I can maybe figure out if I was an I.T. nerd. But if everybody does that to just get back to where they were last year, what's to stop Photobucket from plugging that hole?

10. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

They gave me a 12 hour window to download all my albums. I did and nearly every picture is compressed beyond any use. I thought I could find a program to open them correctly and then save them. So far, not much luck.

11. I see that you are not a Hamb Alliance Member.

The cost to maintain this public forum is paid in part by alliance members.

You voluntarily uploaded your images to a web hosting site where they have been stored until now for free.

Now you are whining because you have to pay.

Nothing is for free - someone ends up paying the price.

Jim

12. mountainman2

mountainman2

Bill's Auto Works likes this.