Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

drdave, John B, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  2. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

3. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

My memory is terrible , but were these two cars discussed earlier? I started reading through again and saw a lot of things I missed LOL.. but since I can never remember like you guys I figured I'd just put it out there LOL

IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0045.jpg

4. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

Jerry sold the Ford awhile ago. I think he said a guy around Chicago has it. His son Scott still has his red chopped shoebox. Jerry is doing real good!

5. Yes Debb, we covered both of these great Fords.
    The flamed '50 Ford business coupe was W.E.H.T. #67. It belonged to Phil Van Tassel. Here's a link to the page of the write up. E

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-ever-happened-to.1016572/page-43

The yellow and white two tone '51 was W.E.H.T. #24 and belonged to Hank Schlueter. Here's a link to the page of the write up. E

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-ever-happened-to.1016572/page-13

6. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

I thought so, sorry. I was up to page 16 again lol. Thanks E!!
    Btw, Thank you for all your research. I love this thread. And thanks to everyone else who contribites.
    I know i have more photos from the 70' 80' KKOA shows. I took a lot of viedo, but i still took photos. I need to figure out where they are!! I have boxes (many) of photos around here. Need to revisit them

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Oh yeah, Jim. I always remember the "Day the Music Died" every February 3rd. I have a few great radio show tributes on my MP3 that were done by legendary Denver deejay "Da Boogieman" a number of years ago. He is a real rock and roll historian and the shows are terrific!
    It's always a sad day, but I enjoy remembering those three greats the world lost way back in '59 through their music..........E

8. What Ever Happened To..........? number 101.

1956 Buick "Onyx"
    Owner: Ron Nelson
    Circle Pines, Minnesota

This week's car is one that I've been searching for information on for quite sometime. I did manage to find a few good pictures through internet searching and in a few different magazines, but my video tape hunting was no help at all.
    It seems like I've seen this car for years in magazine coverage of car shows and cruise nights, but dates and information were very difficult to come by.
    I called my good friend, Minnesota native and custom encyclopedia @PasoJohn and he filled in a lot of the gaps on this beautiful car.
    I watched hours of video looking for this car, but I never saw it on any of the videos I have. I'm pretty sure that Ron had his Buick at one of the KKOA shows as I found a nice picture of it taken by Scott Pavey.

Ron Nelson 56 Buick b SPC.jpg

I also found another nice picture on Rikster's site taken by @KustomLincolnLady. I can't say for sure when either of these pictures were taken, but I'd guess it was in the mid to late 80s.

Ron Nelson 56 Buick a KLL.jpg

In talking to @PasoJohn, he told me that Mr. Nelson did go to KKOA shows for many years, but alternated between cars that he had, including a '55 Buick four door hardtop. Ron was also a regular at Back to the 50s and Goodguys events. I found this picture of the Buick in the January '94 issue of Custom Rodder on page 53 in their coverage of the Goodguys event in Des Moines.

Ron Nelson 56 Buick  c CR Jan 94 p53.jpg

As I mentioned above, Ron was a regular at Back to the 50s and John told me he saw the car there many times. Sadly, Mr. Nelson passed away in October 2009, but he did have the foresight to leave the cars he still owned to family members. His family has carried on the tradition of attending Back to the 50s, and John sent me some great photos of the car taken there just a few years ago. The Nelson family has taken super care of the Buick as it is still in beautiful condition. The awesome black paint is still gorgeous and the body is straight as a pin.

Ron Nelson 56 Buick d JT.jpg

Ron Nelson 56 Buick e JT.jpg

Ron Nelson 56 Buick f JT.jpg

I guess you could say that this week's custom isn't really a "What Ever Happened To", but more of a we know where it's at and it's in good hands!
    A special thanks to John for all his input and pictures this week--thanks Homie!
    I'd also like to thank the Nelson family for preserving Ron's gem so that we can all enjoy it's beauty, whether through recent photographs, or hopefully at a car show someday.
    Keep on cruisin'! See you next week! E

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  9. Cool to see that it hasn't changed much, if at all.

Thanks to John for his pictures, knowledge and contributions that keep this thread going! And thanks again Ed for taking the time.

10. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

In the smaller photo that Ed mentioned was taking by Debb, (Lincolnland Lady) If you look to the right its Adair which is Ron and Jenny's oldest daughter (and its Adair's son Brandon now the caretaker of the 56)and the other guy standing is Frank Coe owning the yellow 57 Chevy he's standing. next to. Ron was in a club here in the Twin Cities called Street Customs as well as KKOM,KKOA and MSRA. I remember seeing Ron and Jenny and Adair at the Last Pass in DesMoines in 1986 in their 55 Buick 4 door hardtop. After that show We all became good friends once the KKOM started doing cruises. There are still approx 4 members left in the Street Customs car club. I've been looking for more pix of his Buick. In this picture on the back of the Buick take a look at the window as they never had a 3 window as the builder Joe Bjergo built the steel bars 56 BUICK 50'S-1-back window.jpg to create the 3 window style.

11. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

12. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

Here's an 2 old photo's of the Street Customs car club from Anoka (Mn).As you can see Ron's 56 Buick is the 4th car from the end. (on the top picture).These pix were uploaded by Russ Peterson a Street Custom member owner of the 56 Mercury (Red) on the top pic This was from 1990. Street Customs 1990 Anoka.jpg Street Customs.jpg

13. rudestude

rudestude

That back window looks good...thats one of my favorite features on the 57 Buicks.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Great information @PasoJohn. That back window in Ron's Buick is a true work of art. Joe Bjergo did a nice job on it!

Street Customs.jpg

I love this picture. Were these taken at the 1990 Leadsled Spectacular in Holland, Michigan?
    Look at the rows and rows of cars in the background! Those were the days! E

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I could be wrong but that looks like the Anoka county fairgrounds here in Mn. and @PasoJohn I thought Russ Petersens car was the maroon one next to the red 56? or had he sold it already by then?

16. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

It is written in the 2 pix I added that this is Anoka Mn 1990 with the Street Customs car club

17. Randy D

Randy D

Re: number 68, 1951 Ford Victoria...
    It belongs to Dave Waddell. He lives in the Indianapolis area. Unfortunately I haven’t spoken with him for some time. Great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Oh cool .... what are the chances of reconnecting and posting some current pics?

19. That's nice to know. Was he the guy who built it back in the 80s or did he buy it from someone else? E

20. Randy D

Randy D

He built it.
    Talented builder. He built a ‘34 Plymouth in the 90’s, too. Not sure what he was into after that as life got in the way of maintaining contact.

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@PasoJohn Was Ron`s 55 Buick Blue with black on the hood with a split grille.
    This one---Featured on page 48 Scan0341.jpg

22. big_dan_1950

big_dan_1950
    from ca

Does anyone have info on this car ? I bought a Wood stash box years ago and it had the picture of the 53 . I could never find any info on the car . Then i come across this picture on Instagram

IMG_9180.JPG IMG_9179.JPG

23. I used to see it at the KKOA meets in the 80s.

24. It belongs to a guy named Addenbrook now. His first name escapes me. I tried to talk to him about the car a few times years ago. He wasn't too friendly or interested in talking, so when I see him now I don't approach him.
    Still looks good, with paint that is a little more wild than Walt's version. I'd take either one--'53 and '54 Bel Airs are soooooo awesome! E

2017%20Kool%20Kustom%20Kar%20Show%20_090-L.jpg

25. I'm not doing too well with Milwaukee, Wisconsin cars here....:) I'll try this one just one more time.. latus1.jpg latus2.jpg

26. IMO it looked best as originally done in the green. No flames or scallops.

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is a pic from the KKOA show in 82(?) and the second pic is from the 84 show. Both were in Des Monies. I was at a hotel parking lot at one of the KKOA shows, Walt`s car was sitting on a trailer. There was a note on it which said---This car was driven to this show, had mechanical problems, so it will be trailered home. I have always loved this car. Does Walt own the Chevy fastback with 51 Ford rear spears. It was in Indy a few times. I have shots of the scalloped version , but can`t seem to find them. It was in Salina in the old location. That`s the first version of my parents Vicky next to it. Scan0610.jpg Scan0609.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018