Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2018 Banger Meet - Happy Groundhog's Day!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 31, 2018.

1. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

those pictures are from 1983, and the chassis is going to be rebuilt by my step son in calif. with the 27 roadster body. but the banger blew up 35 years ago and got traded for a Flathead.

2. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Have not been on here for a time , will be loading some pictures of my 31CCP soon to get your feed back .
    Saw last month that Jim B has a head for the A motors , were can I get some info on it . want to replace my D Price Head which is 6:1.

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Took a little run with my friends today 20180204_075424.jpg 20180204_094307.jpg 20180204_094325.jpg 20180204_075332.jpg 20180204_092527.jpg

Jet96, woodz, Dannerr and 8 others like this.
  4. Jim has had health issues for quite some time. He's probably not still in production.
    But he still has ad's in the F.A.S.T. newsletter. He can be reached at [email protected], or 951-695-3713. He might know where you might find what you're looking for.

5. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Been running around in the deuce as much as the weather would allow over the last couple of weeks, it's developing a knock on N.o 1 cylinder so Im going to drop the pan and have a look at the Babbits (I'm hoping it just needs the shims adjusting) anything else I should check while I have the pan off?

Dannerr likes this.
  6. If that's not the problem, a worn or busted tooth cam gear will cause a knock!

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

IF YOUR RUNNING A FAT FAN BELT A MISSING PIECE WILL KNOCK LIKE HELL.... THUNK- THUNK AND RIGHT UP FRONT-0-MOTOR

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Thanks for the advice all, got the sump pulled before I saw your suggestions however think I’ve found the problem .......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  9. OUCH! Time to pull it and do it proper!

10. funny...had the great-kids walk by the 68-B this weekend....it's been around the place - they should have noticed - and asked if it ran....damn...wish I had a battery in it....but the old 8N Ford cranking up was close.... IMG_20170102_165746.jpg

11. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Regarding your Jim B. head question.
    Jim is selling the second run of his heads already. Sold out on first run some time ago, several months. PM him and/or email him with your wants/needs. He is very good at responding and letting you know situation.

12. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Looks like I'm back in the banger club. Picked up a 31 Roadster. Going to keep it super traditional, mechanical brakes, no windshield, hi-boy. Pretty much have everything to build it, especially after building my sport coupe. Build thread to follow. Kevin IMG_6507.jpg IMG_6508.jpg

Dannerr, barrnone50, burl and 4 others like this.
  13. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Ouch indeed , thankfully the crank looks good . Currently deciding what to do, was hoping to get to run it as it is for a little while longer before jumping into the motor .

Interesting to find I have a c head diamond block but not a counterbalanced crank . I assumed that you couldn’t have the block without the crank?

Old Dawg likes this.
  14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG] center main ?

15. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

No, number one cylinder . The mains look fine as do the rest of the rods (although they are only just in tolerance with no shims )

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  16. Front main? Hmmm! I guess you're gonna have find out why...Maybe best a complete "Teardown", making sure the block's and crank's oil lines are clear.

17. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Not front Main , number one rod bearing that’s gone .

Old Dawg likes this.
  18. Posed this question on valve spring pressures for a new Stipe B340 cam over on Fordbarn. Not heard back from Bill as to his recommendations and I have the chance of a friend sorting a spot of transatlantic shopping.

History...
    Reground cam in the diamond B in my Fordor, modern valves, new (10 years ago...) stock springs, with pressed in guides. Few other tricks, but it's still pulling at 85mph on the sat nav with no sign of valve float - I make that about 3300 with the gearing and tyre size.

Tourer has the same grind on the cam with 1.7" inlets, stepped push in guides that Snyders sell, with stock springs. I've taken it to 3300 rpm on the rolling road - the power starts dropping off beyond 3100.

So - I'm putting together another B engine with a Stipe B340 cam, 1.7" inlets, and the Snyder type guides. Will the stock valve springs suit, or do I need something with a little higher pressure? So far I've had no noticeable valve float with my previous ground cams? Or have I and I couldn't hear it above the wind noise? I'm thinking the Stipe cam looks smoother and should need less pressure than the reground?

I've had a number of recommendations, Jim Brierley has been helpful ( new engine will be wearing one of his new heads hopefully) but I tend not to favour too much valve pressure for the hell of it just to wear out all my new bits...

Oh - and every post is better with a picture - new engine is for the Coupe... 27654643_10156114100692329_5331517526317084372_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Jet96, cactus1, Old Dawg and 5 others like this.
  19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

well #1 is better than center main . good luck with your motor

Old Dawg likes this.
  20. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Finally fixed the holes in the weiand head and cleaned up the hole to run the Mallory distributor.Need to find a single carb manifold and carb.Whats everbodys opinion on best single carb manifold and carb to run on a mild hoped up banger?
    weiand.jpg

waxhead, ROCKER77 and RoadsterDom like this.
  21. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

BCCHOPPIT builds a nice single carb manifold

burl and ROCKER77 like this.
  22. PhredH

PhredH

HotRodFil
    Are you using stock or 1.7 intakes in the Fordor?
    There was some discussion that stock size intakes might provide more velocity and thus a better cylinder fill that the 1.7 intakes... so many variables.

I do have the 1.7 intakes with a Stipe 340 cam and found increasing spring pressure increased usable top end rpm.

What gear and tires are you running to get 85 mph at 3300prm. Lots of wind resistance at 85mph.

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

CRANK ''LOOKS GOOD''/ DID YOU MEASURE IT?

IF YOU STUFF IT BACK TOGETHER AND RUN IT YOU HAVE AN HONEST CHANCE OF IT REALLY "LASTING A LITTLE LONGER'' .....
    JUST ENOUGH TO DISTROY EVERYTHING!! I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY OF THESE GET BETTER ON THEIR OWN. THEY DON'T HEAL THEMSELVES!!! NOTHING YOU POUR INTO THE OIL WILL FIX THIS ANY MORE THAN HITTING THE MOTOR WITH A LARGE HAMMER....

IF THE CRANK IS GOOD SPEND THE MONEY FOR A NEW ROD AND HEAD GASKET.... THEN WHEN IT COMES OUT THE BLOCK YOU'LL AGREE WITH THE OLD GUYS HERE.

SORRY...FIX IT

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

YOU SEE ONNA-THESE AT A SWAPMEET....... BUY IT

DSC07068.jpg

Weeks46, Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  25. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Bluto Saw a Gilmore flag go though auction at BJ last year it closed north of $400

26. 1.5" in the Fordor. 6.50 x 18 Firestones and a 3.54. Never had it on the rolling road yet to see what it puts out. Yup - plenty of wind resistance! But I was being followed by a Murray bodied Fordor and couldn't let him past could I? Glad we ran out of road... Still on babbit so I don't often rev that high, but I'd be interested him much extra spring pressure you used.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Dannerr likes this.
  27. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Can't go past a downdraft Winfield BB carb and intake if you can find one. If not, a stromberg 97 should work well.

28. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Switched from Strombergs to Weber 32/36 carbs and intakes and never looked back 38E99B37-83E5-4E31-9583-3FAC990E398C.jpeg

Old Dawg, Dannerr and burl like this.
  29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

From all reports, the Weber is a good fit for the 4 banger. My mate has one and love's it.

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Weeks46 and Old Dawg like this.