Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is anyone using a $50 Mr gasket floor shifter ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lgh1157, May 1, 2006.

1. lgh1157

lgh1157

Or anyone of the other cheap brands you can get at pep boys, autozone etc ?

I need to buy a floor shifter for a th350, moneys kinda tight.

I need to use a cable not a rod, I think ive seen a $100 B+M shifter that was cable operated.

Anyone got any info on this matter - good or bad

Thanks

L

2. old beet

old beet

Got mine off e bay for about $40 delivered. No lockout but works OK.......OLDBEET

3. chopndrop

chopndrop

B&M Unimatic is cable operated, about $100 at Kragen. My sister had one in her truck and no problems that I know of.

4. Spend the money on a decent shifter.

Yes you can find them at the swap or ebay for less $$ than new.

Its your shifter, the weak link between going forward and backward in milliseconds, thus blowing up your trans...

Not to mention getting your car slammed in the ass when you accidently bump it out of drive into neutral.

Theres sensible cheap and stupid cheap.

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

i'll second that, cheap shifters suck. work a couple of hours of overtime or haul in a couple of old radiators for scrap to get the money for a good one. i got a cheapie unimatic laying around, and it's gonna STAY laying around cuz it ain't worth selling or using.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The Indymatic is nice and works flawlessly. The Mr. Gasket shifter works fine too. I installed one of them ina friend's car last year and it's still funstioning just fine. For an extra 35 you can have the Hurst though. The Mr. Garket 3 speed manual shifter is total piece of shit though

8. cboy

cboy
    from WI

If you like to "run thru the gears" with your automatic, I would advise against the cheapie Mr. Gasket shifter. There are no stops or gates so you are shifting totally be the feel of when the trans moves from gear to gear...and that can result in a lot of inaccurate shifting including over revving when you hit neutral be mistake. (And you don't even want to THINK about hitting reverse or park at high speed). I have one in my roadster but I'm already looking for a low end B&M or Hurst with gates or stops to replace it.

On the plus side, they DO come with lots and lots of mounting hardware so they are adaptable to virtually any set up.

Dewey