Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ladder bars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Feb 7, 2018.

1. So my build saga continues. Keeping with my shoestring budget and using. What I have I looked through my steel collection and discovered a bunch of 1x1 heavy wall square tubing. I think I'm going to use ladder bars. I have never built a set of ladder bars like these. Going to use coils on The back (speedway kit I picked up for like $120) and weld tabs to my axle housing to mount them and a lanyard bar to keep everything centered up. Is there a hard fast rule of thumb for figuring out length and seperation? I have some 3/8" plate to make the tabs out of and adjustability isn't really possible. Heinz are expensive. They will also be mounted inside the frame about 24" apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  2. Ladder bars need "sliders" to keep from binding during turns. If your car is street/strip I would find another solution. Had them on a '55 and regretted it, terrible ride quality and with fat tires and a tight turn they had some scrub.

loudbang likes this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've offered some corrections in bold to your copied post above in the interest of education only. I'm not trying to be condescending by any means.

If you do build ladder bars, keeping the forward ends mounted as close to each other at the forward pivots near the transmission in a "V" configuration will reduce the problems that occur when they're mounted on the frame rails in a more-or-less parallel fashion.

Lynn

loudbang, DIYGUY and Andy like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    As long as you can make them, and still have them fit. About 8-10" apart at the front, as wide as the chassis will allow in the rear.

You will need a panhard bar.

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.

5. caton462

caton462

Mount the panhard as level as possible, makes a big difference.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Would I be better off with a what's link?

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You're on a shoestring budget? Forget the Watts Link, go with the panhard.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Why is that? You can vulture a complete watts link system out of some OEM applications [ Alfa Romeo's , Falcon's etc]

If the OP used 3 x rubber bushings on each ladder bar, he might get enough articulation [similar to truck arms]
    And run a real stiff front anti roll bar to minimalize the rear oversteer situation.

Personally I don't like ladder bars, and would prefer to disguise a triangulated 4 link to look like ladder bars.
    Put the upper ladder bar bolt onto a slider or a shackle [above the axle tube], so the ladder bar is effectively acting like a lower link
    This would look traditional [ish] and not need a panhard/watts

10. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

If you use a panhard bar, the longer ( wider ) the better

loudbang likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Reinforced wishbones? Reinforce wishbones.jpg

12. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

That is a very interesting idea, I kind of like it. good thinking , on using what you have handy

13. I have mechanical engineers at work that'll do the design for free. Step is cheap, and frankly most of what I been using has come out of my scrap pile.