Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 54 Corvette Gasser Barn-find(kinda)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Apr 27, 2016.

1. shown50

shown50

That thing looks great I love the stance on it

els likes this.
  2. WillyB

WillyB

Got a picture of the 'tabs'??? I was thinking of trying to use the
    stock front mount to support the front of the engine in case I
    actually can get a decent wheelie. The 4 water pump bolts are
    kinda whimpy.....

badvolvo and els like this.
  3. vetrod62

vetrod62

Here you go. Something I made up many years ago.

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike, badvolvo, els and 3 others like this.
  4. WillyB

WillyB

Wow! Neat! Yup, I'm doing it. Some NCRS nazi will catch me
    burning the GM tag off my mount I got in 1966 from Marsh
    Hallman Chevrolet in Albany, NY, though. (grin)
    WillyB, NCRS 46139

65pacecar, catdad49 and els like this.
  5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This car is awesome.....I want one!! :)

els likes this.
  6. WillyB

WillyB

SUMMER'S COMING!!!!

WHATCA' DOIN'???????

els and OahuEli like this.
  7. shadams

shadams

Came out awesome. I wouldnt touch a thing either. I get that same thing all the time about my truck, not that its even close to the same caliber as that car, but I can relate.

els likes this.
  8. Utahvette

Utahvette

I love this car! I got bored the other day and decided it needed a different steering wheel. The wood one is OK but it lacks leverage due to it's small diameter. I friend of mine gave me a really rough wheel for a 61 Corvette last winter. It was cracked like a dry lake bed all over and one of the spokes was broken away from the rim. I cut away the plastic where the spoke was broken and rewelded it and reinforced another spoke. Using PC-7 I patched the plastic up and sanded it all smooth and shot it with some primer and then some white paint for a base. DSCN1407[1].JPG

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. Utahvette

Utahvette

I figured since most people would think this deal was a waste of time, I should really put some time into it to make it extra wasteful. I began by masking a ring around the center of the rim. DSCN1408[1].JPG

10. Utahvette

Utahvette

Another line of tape. DSCN1410[1].JPG

oldsjoe, chryslerfan55 and Baron like this.
  11. Utahvette

Utahvette

Now using a single edge razor blade I just touch it down on the inside of the stripes and rock it over to the outside of the stripes, cutting a line radially through the tape. Then pick out the squares. DSCN1411[1].JPG

12. Utahvette

Utahvette

The next step is to shoot a top coat of red. DSCN1412[1].JPG

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    els, oldsjoe, enloe and 2 others like this.
  13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have way too much spare time...lol. Going to look great .

els, slv63 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Utahvette

Utahvette

Pick off all the squares. DSCN1414[1].JPG

kidcampbell71, els, oldsjoe and 3 others like this.
  15. Utahvette

Utahvette

16. Utahvette

Utahvette

Installed on the car, not too bad. Gotta admit it's different. I'll see how I like it to drive. I kept the wood one just in case. DSCN1417[1].JPG DSCN1420[1].JPG

17. Utahvette

Utahvette

I know some of you will wonder how long it took to mask it off and pick out the squares. About an hour or so. Really not to bad considering there were 798 of them! And just by chance when I got to the end of the rows it ended up being alternating colors instead of two whites and two reds next to each other. I thought that was pretty lucky. I hadn't thought of that potential problem till I got right to the end.

catdad49, brad2v, els and 6 others like this.
  18. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Nice work! I'd have been crossed eyed before I ever got finished with that project! Joe

brad2v and els like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

These little touches make this car even more special!

els likes this.
  20. els

els

Just when you think there are no more barn finds out there with a classic car in it, something pops up. GREAT FIND and GREAT BUILD.

TFoch, enloe and bowie like this.
  21. Utahvette

Utahvette

The latest update on the car is the improvement of the heater. Here in Utah we have this thing called Winter. And I've been using this car as my primary driver because it's such a kick to drive. But lately it's been cold outside. These cars use a recirculating type heater very similar to a 54 Chev passenger car. This one blew so weakly that I could hold my hand in front of the outlet and just barely feel the air movement. And because these cars tend to be drafty I was freezing to death when the car was moving. The blower motor was working , but just barely. A friend of mine had an aftermarket 6 volt heater motor sitting on the shelf that would fit and suggested I give it a try. Naturally, operating a 6 volt motor on 12 volts, it's going to spin hard, but will it last? I did a little research and found some information stating that a DC motor can typically take 3 to 5 times the rated voltage before overheating, so what the heck, I'll give it a try. Pulling the heater out is fairly simple on one of these so I switched it out in a hour or so. OH..MY..HELL! This thing is like a leaf blower now! I swear if there were papers in the car they would be swirling around the passenger compartment like a mini tornado when this thing is on high. The heater switch has 2 speeds but the factory low setting was still too slow for my tastes so I cobbled in an ignition ballast resistor in place of the factory resistor and arrived at a good compromise. Now the car is very comfortable. And with the recent addition of a stereo I believe this car is about as civilized as one of these primitive ox carts can get .

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now all you need is snow tires and chains and your good for all weather. Nice to be driving it most of the year. We get eight good months here in New England if were lucky.

loudbang and BJR like this.
  23. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

If you're able to, put the resistor in the airflow to help keep it cooled and not build up too much heat. I have seen that done on some OT cars and trucks for different speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. That body will rust to pieces if he
    drives it in the winter slop.

loudbang, enloe and Baron like this.
  25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Fiberglass rusts in Utah?

loudbang and porkshop like this.
  26. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I know we don't have it as bad as other area's but the weather here in Southern Ohio can limit our time on the roads in the winter months. Guess what I'm saying is I'm envious! Joe

enloe likes this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Funny...actually, 'scary funny'! I was 18, it was 1960 in San Jose, Ca. I bought a white '54 Vette, both tops, hard and soft, nice, interior was 'rip-n-tear', car had a '56 Nail in it! (with '37 Buick Roadmaster box) $400, cash.
    Took it home to work on it, a guy came over and said he had a bud that might want it BAD!
    The guy's bud traded me straight across for a '34 Ford roadster, also white. The '34 had a '53 Nail in it! (needed wiring and 'finishing'...
    I traded the '34 roadster off for a '36 Five window, got some money besides.
    The guy with my '54 Vette saw my '36 and wanted to trade...but I kept the '36. Sure miss that 'Vette...and '34 Roadster!
    This was a GREAT THREAD! Love that 'bubble top'...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  28. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Glad someone validated my post. Thanks.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Man, You know how to treat Corvettes! This one and your Mimsy Farmer vette are off the wall COOL!

30. Anderson

Anderson

Just came across this thread. Saw the car at Bonneville and loved it. The steering wheel blew my mind, thought it might have been something aftermarket. Turns out you just have a lot more patience than me! Haha