Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cars For Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike

Mike

I've sold 3 cars here in the HAMB classifieds. When I was selling a high dollar '47 Ford Woody, I had several dedicated cars for sale sites courting me to place ads. They wanted me to pay between $250 and $500 to run and ad, and all touted having the best internet coverage. As a test, I did several "for sale" internet searches for the year and model car that I had advertised using different browsers. I found my ads in the HAMB classifieds usually appeared within the first five search results, while ads for similar cars on the other sites were lucky to make the first 20. That's a pretty damn good reason to advertise here.

abe lugo and zzford like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

I believe you have very good advice and I agree with you, but I wanted to point out that many buyers will not bother to read an overly long, detailed description. I sold off a few projects from my collection last year and I always take the time to write a good detailed description to go along with it and I still had tons of calls and emailed questions asking things which were clearly spelled out in the description, some things incredibly obvious, like they gave up reading after the first sentence and then scrolled down for a phone number.

So I guess my bit of advice is more for sellers, be prepared for this kind of bullshit. Better to have a long, detailed, well written and properly spelled and punctuated description of your car and then when people call asking obvious questions, you'll know they didn't read it. It's a good way to flush out morons and bullshitters.

Silva likes this.
  3. zzford

zzford

I've gone through this with my 66 Nova. I've priced it at $40k. well under it's appraised value. Toys that expensive don't have a large lot of buyers. Coupled with coming after Christmas and tax season, money ain't just growing on trees. I have gotten a lot of trade offers, but no realistic cash offers.

4. I don't want it, but $8000 is insulting to you? You must not know how much money that is to most people. That may be a nice car but in some parts of the country that would be the going price.....maybe even less. My 2¢

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  5. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of good input in this thread less one so far; if you're gonna advertise on the H.A.M.B. at least become an Alliance Member. Give back a little for the ability to use this site for free. If you're broke like I usually am, become a member from the funds from your first sale, & maybe offer a discount to other Alliance Members. Help keep this site we all enjoy alive...

Just my 2 cents

Mona, czuch and abe lugo like this.
  6. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Sold some cars and parts on the HAMB and Ford Barn and have a 32 Pickup for sale on the HAMB now. Most times I just try to get my money back or make a few $$$ but "the times they are a changing". I usually get calls after I sold it sometimes 3-6 months later and they say "I meant to call but thought you would save it for me" Go figure. I don't find much stuff any more close to home and try to only buy parts I need for my own projects and remember it's only a hobby. MantuaJohn

7. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

This has been a very informative thread. I have my vehicle listed here on the H.A.M.B. for a few months as a 1st time seller, and have become frustrated at the lack of offers for what I feel to be a reasonable price. I really like and enjoy the car, and only listed it because there is another project I would love to get into and need to free up the cash. That's when I came to this thread to see what people had to say about selling a car the right way, and maybe find out what I'm doing wrong. I know that my vehicle is an unpopular model year and is on the fringe of what qualifies as a "H.A.M.B. Friendly" vehicle, and have come to grips with the fact that it may not be what people are looking for right now. That being said I have dropped the price one last time and will probably remove it in a week without an offer. Maybe I'm just impatient. I like the car a lot and may stick with the minor upgrades I had planned. I agree that everyone using this site should become a alliance member. Support what you love!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The perceived problem is the same as with a house that gets no offers. The buying public has spoken and has deemed your car to be too high priced. Now not to offend you but I learned in Econ 101 that something is worth only what a reasonable person will pay.

Take me, for example. First, I don't like red cars. Most do so you are in luck there but not with me. Next, I'm not a Ford fan but a lot of people are. As you said it may not be a popular year. All of these things narrow your buying group. The moral of the story is that I would not pay 14k. It is not worth it to me. And, yes, you might be a little impatient. If you don't want to lower the price anymore then keep and enjoy the car.

9. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

No offense taken, and I'm definitely aware of the Econ 101 application to sales. I came to this thread for advice and that's what I'm getting. I have thick skin and welcome any further critique. I know what I paid for the vehicle and know that I will not take a loss just because I found a new project, especially on a car that I've got a bit of a soft spot for (not a Ford guy or a red car guy).

I guess I was more disappointed because I compared the same model vehicles in similar condition on Craigslist, eBay(which are typically way too high), and various other sites, and thought what I was asking was reasonable (a relative term). Looks like I'll be hanging on to this one. Viva Capitalism

10. SR100

SR100

One of the (few) positives about eBay is the ability to search finished auctions and see which ones sold and which expired, plus see what the actual selling price was.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Today I received a phone call from a good friend who has a 1951 Ford that is a leadsled and he was telling me that when he takes it to car shows very few people even ask any questions about the car or it's price.

This a car that was built in the early 60's and as it appeared on the front page of many magazines and over the years has been about four or five different colors and it is beautiful and the craftmanship of the work is first class.

He has owned this car since the mid 60's and he loves the car but he told there is not much interest in these types of cars anymore. The car has never been a daily driver and only comes of the shop for a few car shows a year.

Jimbo

12. Squablow

Squablow

Does "not many ask about it's price" mean that he doesn't have the price clearly posted on a for sale sign? Because I will rarely, if ever, ask for the asking price on a car that's for sale but without a price listed. In my experience, that means it's overpriced and the seller is ashamed to advertise the price.

But I also might just be misunderstanding the quote. If so, consider this a stand-alone comment and not directed at your friend or his car.

A price on a car for sale is a must. "Make Offer" ads (or a for sale sign in the window with "ask for price) is sucker fishing and smart buyers have long since learned about that game and avoid it.

Thor1 likes this.
  13. wheelguy

wheelguy

Regarding the post about FOR SALE signs with no posted asking price on them, I'm with you on that one...>If it doesn't have an asking price I USUALLY say "ITS PRICELESS" (pun intended) and walk on.
    I will say that I believe some of the sellers that are lookin for a trade deal figure they are putting themselves in a bad position for a possible trade on the other guys over priced car, if they are actually priced about right.
    My 2 CENTS (or less)

Squablow and Thor1 like this.
  14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yea 5window, I thought it was a little ambiguous myself....

15. Looks like this thread has gotten off course.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  16. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

No kidding! Please keep the H.A.M.B. as the last bastion of all things cool, and probably the last place left on the internet where people can have a normal conversation without getting into a verbal pissing match. Save that for private messages or Facebook.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I cleared out the drama... we don't do drama here. time for this to end.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.