Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 6, 2018.

1. I was visiting with my long time friend Rene' this afternoon and he was asking me about the new project and I was telling him I have come to the conclusion that the flathead is just too pricey for me and I am thinking about a sbc,283 or 327 and he mentioned he had a early sbc at old place of business.

Since Rene' had a stroke a few years ago he can't walk and can no longer drive,I've sold a few of his cars for him and he told me he would be happy to give me the engine if I wanted it,so I hope to load up the engine hoist and go get it soon.

Are there any numbers to look for to determine what the engine is? HRP

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Oh no, not another sbc...........:eek:

392, HOTRODPRIMER, Clay Belt and 4 others like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

sure, casting number and casting date on the top of the bellhousing area, and the engine number stamped on the block deck, in front of the pass side head.

Also look for stuff like if it has side mounts, bolt holes in the ends of the heads, staggered bolt valve covers, etc for a quick idea of how old it is

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Whatever it cost I'll pay you double for it!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

5. now your talking...........

Fordor Ron, HOTRODPRIMER and TFoch like this.
  6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

quick glance- look at heads. staggered bolt valve covers = 1955-1959 heads, check for pcv valve/road draft provision on back of block. If it has a hole behind the distributor its a 265, 283, or 327 or very early 350. no side mounts = 1955-1957, if you want to get specific, look around the left side behind the head close to where the bellhousing mounts, you can get that number and just google "sbc casting number *********" and it'll tell you what block it is. pull a valve cover and do the same for the heads.

Bam.inc, j-jock, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  7. cavman

cavman

Write every # down you can find, and then go to Mortec.com

8. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I guess this balances the universe after Jim got a flathead. Welcome to the dark side.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Use your phone camera and shoot lot's of close ups of the numbers. Numbers that are hard to read in person can be easy to read blown up on your monitor.

cavman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Check out the newby, Ragin Pineapple giving SBC advise....looks like he's picking up some great education here. Good deal, kid!
    Danny, I'm sure you've had a few good running chevy v/8s in the past. I like them alot, especially for early cars with very little room for engines. A sweet 283 or 327 in than new coupe would make you smile.

Bam.inc, redo32, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no matter what you are running build it right and reliable

12. Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Tell Rene hello for me and tell him the Morris Minor I bought from him is making progress and after I get moved to Tn might be racing by June.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. I guarantee it is a Corvette engine.

15. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Danny, some guys think its a negative to go the easy route with a Chevy but if the car is used a lot it makes sense to go that path.
    My latest '32 has a Buick V6 and I'm fine with that as long as it lives but when the time comes I have a fresh '65 283 with later heads(accessory bolt holes) waiting to take its place. Already has a TH350 transmission.
    Every auto parts store has a good chance of being able to provide parts if you should need repairs on the road.
    It would be my first choice.

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER, zzford and Clay Belt like this.
  16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paging 3W Larry... seriously nothing more old time than a ‘32 with an early mouse. I’ll be following along!

mike bowling and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Larry is no longer with us. :(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know... but his spirit lives on. The following is engraved on my Grandfathers tomb stone “ To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die”

19. 283 or a 327 would be nice!

HOTRODPRIMER and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Either one works for me.
    My roadster had a '62 283. 2278341-0783ecacd9ad457300d4a4b6cbe75ead.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and TFoch like this.
  21. 4-bolt main too...

mike bowling and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

So, ummmm..... Tell us the great news!!!! Is that belly button motor out of an early Vette???:D

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rock on HRP, smart move. Twice the power for 1/2 the $$$$, if not less. I remember when everyone hated 5.0 Mustangs but things get popular for a reason, usually a good reason. If I need more for my 39 there's a 300 HP 350 sitting on the cart in my home shop, a set of Cal Custom valve covers and a polished Offy tri-power waiting to be used. And it all goes in with little to no cutting. Good luck, tons of SBC info right here.

24. First look on the driver side rear of block for the casting number. That will let us ballpark your year range and bore size. Then if @squirrel is around he can cypher the stamped serial number off the front pad to get you more exact on the motor.

Look for side mounts, don't sweat it is it is too early for side mounts, I got an NOS Hurst mount here for ya. ;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. I have had a few,the 4 door I got from Ron had a sweet running 283 and my old Deuce pickup had a 327 that ran great.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can go pick up the engine next week. HRP

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You just know Larry is looking down and giving a thumbs up on this one Danny.
    I'm rooting for you too!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. rhtfo

rhtfo

Please show us more after you pick it up, it will be a fun engine.:cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice coupe. BUT, that fordoor was really cool! And that's from a "coupe guy".

29. zzford

zzford

Unashamedly, I LOVE SBC's.

30. I liked the mordor a lot but I already have a sedan and really didn't need two. HRP

jim snow likes this.