Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Rustoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky01, May 5, 2017.

1. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

triman62 likes this.
  2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There is a junkyard here in Ohio that should have what you need but they been sitting for over 30 years,you would get very nice parts from Big M,

mikhett and BrandonBerkosky01 like this.
  3. Rough day at the balljoint factory.

[​IMG]

AndersF likes this.
  4. The control arms are still plenty thick where they need to be.
    I'm going to weld these in with the tig welder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hendelec likes this.
  5. One down. I welded them in with the old balljoint installed because pretty much every article I found about them said they will warp and then you have to chase the threads.
    So I tried mine after welding and the bj's thread in and out perfectly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  6. I made this part out of an old weld-on pipe coupling to press the old bushings out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Very nice improvement. You will really be able to take a ton of pride in your finished project! Thanks for sharing.

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  8. Ball joints are all installed and torqued. Just need to paint everything and reassemble. This portion was a fun mini project. Nice to break away from sheet metal.
    Next I need to finish firewall and floor so I can reinstall the subframe and I will have a roller!!

9. Squablow

Squablow

Still impressed with the dedication, and nice clean looking welds on that otherwise grungy looking A-arm.

10. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Looking good. I don't remember, did you ever drive this thing before? Even if you have not, you'll still appreciate the tight. sturdy feeling of those new suspension pieces.

11. No personally I never drove it. My dad bought it around 83 I'm assuming based on the inspection sticker. He drove it home and parked it in the yard and never touched it again. I wasn't born until 87.

12. The shocks I took off were metallic blue so I thought this would look good to break up all the black. I just scuffed up the black and gave them a few coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's too dark in the driveway for a picture but all the control arms are painted as well.

13. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Killer job, man. I'm going through similar rust issues with my 65 Dodge A100 van. Not near as bad as I thought after seeing what you're accomplishing!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Not your every day tow. Haven't had much time to work on the Chrysler. But I figured you guys might get a kick out of this 1928 Chevy huckster

[​IMG]

15. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Wow! All that work is looking good! Nice fab work, and great TIG on the ball joints.

16. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Got any thing new to share with your flock?

17. Unfortunately no. A combination of things has kept me from the car. It's winter so I'm very busy. Jumping cars and changing batteries goes through the roof this time of year. As well as accidents on the local highways. my garage is poorly heated so after being out in the cold all day I don't really feel like going out there when the weather is in the teens. I can work in the 30s and 40s. But the teens is just too cold. I also just bought another roll back so I've been going over that and tidying up some issues before I put it on the road.
    I really appreciate your inquiry though. It makes me want to get back out there even more.

As soon as I start working on the car again I'll be sure to do my daily progress picture upload.

brEad, slv63, 55Deso and 9 others like this.
  18. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Awesome work on the old girl! Keep at it. You've already made it farther than 95% of anyone would with a car this rusty. Nice IH too. The swap looks very nice.

19. indyjps

indyjps

Just found this build and read thru it all. Really amazing. Cant wait to see more.

20. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Having worked outside most of the time while I was working, I can understand that. Also know that business comes first. Welding wire isn't free. Throw us a bone when you can.

21. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

My thread watcher broke down again, glad to catch up on your progress. Also knew winter is tough up there and your day job keeps you busy. (It should be, a man's gotta eat!) Keep is informed!

22. Thanks guys. I am very good with taking pictures and posting updates. So you guys will be the first to know when I get back at it.
    The most we did lately was empty all the parts out of the interior so I can get back to the floor pans.

chryslerfan55, brEad and AndersF like this.
  23. ohioslingshot

ohioslingshot

image.jpeg Can I ask you about the trans mount? I have a 1960 Chrysler Windsor, is your trans mount set up with a large bolt going through a spring? If so have you been able to find the rubber part of the mount and if you did can you tell me where you got it from? Thanks

24. Satyr

Satyr

Really looking forward to the continuation of this build when you get the time to get back at it.

25. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Same here! One of my favorite threads

26. The original was the big spring type. But I think I'll go with the later style. More common. I can probably buy it at Autozone.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Soon. We are getting some nice days here.

brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. safetythird

safetythird

How did I miss this thread? As someone going through a similar mess with a basket case more door, I wish you all the luck.

Check this horror out:

[​IMG]

29. Wow... I hope mine doesn't come to that level. Do you have a thread on this car I can follow?

30. Last summer I devoted 100% of my spare time to this chrysler for my father. This year I'm going to be bringing my 55 buick back out of storage and working on both.
    I must have the Buick thread posted in the wrong section or something. It's a lot of the same type of work but the thread is a ghost town compared to the chrysler.
    If anyone wants to follow the Buck thread here is the link.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...l-4-door-sedan-series-41-build-thread.998803/

Hansa1100 likes this.