Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford AOD and LOKAR shifter install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pointer-1, Feb 6, 2018.

1. pointer-1

pointer-1

Call me a coward if you will but I will tear a motor down ,build rear end do body work but automatic tranny scares me to death. Therefore this LOKAR shifter is kind of daunting for me. I have visions of springs and little pieces flying all over the place with no idea what goes where after while I install the shift lever in an open case of my freshly rebuilt transmission.
    Have any of you tried it or should I just throw up my hands and pay the transmission guy?

2. Installing the shift lever is a piece of cake. You shouldn't encounter problems as long as you are careful. Setting up the kickdown cable is the tricky part. Doing it wrong and driving it can ruin the tranny. Experienced hands on here can help you avoid catastrophe.

3. topher5150

topher5150

You'd be surprised how important that kick down adjustment is. I had a Lincoln Mark VII that had the AOD, and there were pages and pages on forums about shifting problems. Turns out that it was usually just the plastic bushing that connected the kick down cable to the throttle body that had disintegrated.

warhorseracing and osage orange like this.
  4. Sounds like a Ford design flaw/revenue stream producer.

topher5150 likes this.

5. EnglishJon

EnglishJon

It is not a kick-down cable, it's throttle pressure. Thats why the adjustment is so critical, and why the trans can burn-up on a test drive around the block.

osage orange likes this.
  6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

The AOD cable adjustment is very easy with a pressure gauge hooked up to the middle port on the right hand side of the trans. Real good YouTube videos on the adjustment. At idle the pressure is almost zero, off idle about 5/16 of an inch and the pressure should go to 30 to 40 PSI. That's all there is to it. I have a Lokar shifter installed on mine and it was real easy. The shifter has nothing to do with the throttle trans cable adjustment.

osage orange likes this.
  7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The shifter is cake. Follow Lokar's instructions. Worst case, you have to drop the pan and put in a new shift lever into the tranny. Even that is relatively simple, just a roll pin, jam nut, and 6 mm bolt for the detent spring, just sucks laying on your back doing it in the car as the remaining tranny fluid drips onto your head.

warhorseracing and osage orange like this.

8. Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. You're right, I misspoke. TV cable, and following detailed instructions should keep your tranny safe.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

12. topher5150

topher5150

can you a cable from a donor car?