Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39-48 Lincoln brakes on a 9" ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 FlatRod, Feb 6, 2018.

1. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

I searched the posts and didn't see much on this subject. I know MT car products /Boling Brothers make this conversion kit with all the hardware. But I talked to them and they said yes it fits, but you need a 5/8" spacer behind the drum for the correct brake backspacing. They also said if you don't want to do that, you would have to get custom axles made with the 3-1/8" backspacing required for their kit. The larger bearing 9" ford has 2.5" backspace.

This seems very odd since they have made a custom backing plate to fit the 9" ford, why didn't they make it deep enough for the right backspacing. Have any of you made this conversion and what was your solution for the backspacing issue?

2. 28rpu

28rpu

It's not a custom backing plate to fit the 9" Ford. It's their standard backing plate with the 9" pattern drilled in it. I'd get new axles instead of using drum spacers.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Why? The Lincoln brakes are just an older version of the brakes already on the 9" Maybe they are a little larger diameter, but the shoes aren't wider. It can't be for increased braking power. What's the reason to spend an extra $500?

X38 and Hnstray like this.
  4. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

I'm putting them on the front as well and I want a matched braking system all around. I am assuming the stock 9" brakes work better than the Lincoln brakes and I don't want the rears to lock up too easy. Also I would like the same look all around if I can get it.

5. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

well... that would explain the spacer. I thought it was pretty strange if it was a custom backing plate. another option is to cut the backing plate and weld in a 5/8" ring to make it deeper. Custom axles are pretty expensive, trying to stay away from that.

6. Andy

Andy

You can install smaller bore cylinders if the 9" brakes work too good. Also a proportioning valve would solve it.
    I don't know if extra 5/8"/side would look better.

7. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

Thats true, Ill have to look into that. also, I think there are 11 x 2 drums for a 9" ford that would not stick out as far.

8. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

Speedway has a complete drum brake kit that uses 11 x 2.25 brakes with a 1" cylinder.

9. Andy

Andy

A lot of the 9" rears are from pick ups and are pretty wide to start with unless you have an early Bronco.
    You could also put the shoes in wrong/backwards and that would cost nothing to try.

10. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

Yes I have a early bronco 9" and it is only 58-3/8" from axle flange to axle flange. Its pretty narrow as it is. I put one just like it under my '36 ford and it worked perfect. what does putting the shoes in backward do for you? less stopping power?

11. Andy

Andy

Yep, They don't work as well with the long shoe in front. The short shoe is supposed to grab and push on the long shoe to load it.