Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Dam, I missed it :(

els likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Fred Teixeirra

look check.JPG

Hayseed

hayseed.JPG

Seaport Automotive without the top

seaport check.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 6 others like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Stinger Flopped or RHD???

gas stinger.JPG

Sacrilege !!!

gas1.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 7 others like this.
  4. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

HA! You suppose there's a big ol' FE under the hood?

els and loudbang like this.
  5. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

That's correct! The tube axel Vettes that were set up "like a Gasser" were NEVE RUN In ANY GASSER CLASS. Most Vettes were Modified sports class and with radical engine setback were in the altered classes.'30's-50's Gas coupes and sedans were what the Gassser class was based on. Never the less the jacked up fenderwell header Vettes were BADASS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I just finished lettering this one yesterday.... 1 BOUDREAU VETTE 9.jpg 1 BOUDREAU VETTE 10.jpg 1 BOUDREAU VETTE 5.jpg 1 BOUDREAU VETTE 13.jpg

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

Quicksilver unless I am misreading what you are saying I cannot agree. When the NHRA did away with Modified Sports after the 1967 season, the Corvettes that fit within the rules (i.e no more than 10% setback) were moved into gas. There were many Corvettes that ran in gas from 1968 on into the 70s. Originally it was gas coupes and sedans but like many things in the NHRA times and the forms allowed changed. The picture above of the Seaport 62 I watched run in both MSP and D/G. The car behind it in the photo (Prontito-a 1957 Vette) ran in BM/SP until 1967 and in 1968 and 1969 ran B/G. I watched it run many times and mind you neither car ran a top as well as Cunningham's Vette out of Texas that ran gas. Both Cunningham and Prontito won class at Indy both in separate gas classes.

Most ran a down stance starting in 1968 but there were a few that ran with the old up stance I suppose.

Tanner gang the car looks great. Looks the part for sure. Hope to see it in person one day.

I bought the remains of a 1960 Vette that ran in B/G in Alabama that also ran later in Modified Production as well.

elgringo71, els, Baron and 1 other person like this.
  8. Too bad Big John didn't do his fenders that way, instead of just whacking straight cuts with a sabre saw.

9. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Well Dean now I hope this does not stir up a shit storm. But facts are facts. I sure there were some match races between Gassers and the D or B/MS Vettes but If we are talking RULES as they were applied in the day then technically they were not Gassers. But with that said Gasser is still an easy term to label the classic '60's look of any body style. On the other hand the Street Freak trend of overly jacked up rides is a misuse of the term Gasser. Just my opinion but shared by many others.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  10. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

els, 65pacecar and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  11. jimdillon

jimdillon

Quicksilver I am not sure where you are getting your facts but you are wrong. We are on page 70 of a Corvette gasser thread. We have not wasted our effort-we are reliving history to an extent-I am non-apologetically living back in that era as it was the greatest of times IMO. There are hundreds of pictures in this thread of Corvettes that ran legitimately in the gas classes. My avatar car is an old drag car out of New Mexico that ran in stock, MSP and MP. I do not know enough of its history to confirm if it ever ran in gas as well. Guys call it a gasser when they see it but I correct them and say it is modified sports as the gasser deal does seem to be overdone these days. If my avatar car went back in time to 1968 or 1969 there is only one class that it could run and that is B/G. It would not be competitive more than likely but I built it mainly for the street. Modified sports ended in 1967. Most MSP Vettes were automatically placed by the rules in a gas class. I have the remains of a 1960 Corvette that I bought off of the owner that built it into a B/G (BBC)in the 70s. He bought it as the remains of a legitimate gas class car out of the 60s (C/G and D/G small block). I own a 1961 Corvette built by the C/G winner at Indy (Larry Teter who won at Indy in 61 and 62 with his C/G Vicky). Larry Teter originally built the car to run in gas in the late 60s, I understand although I believe he ran it in B/A most of the time. There were many Vettes that ran gas and by many I mean a whole bunch-not match racers.

I raced with a team that ran two Corvettes in the 60s. We had a very competitive 61 that ran in the stock classes and a 57 Vette that ran in B/G starting in 1968. It was not a match racer-B/G is the only class it could run in-period. When you tech your car it is put in a class according to the rulebook not the look or gasser stance or whatever.

If a Corvette, with or without a top-made no difference (starting by 68 that I know of), showed up at the NHRA (and AHRA and IHRA) tracks with let’s say a big block and not more than 10% setback, and even a slight elevation in the front suspension there is only one class that it could be placed in-gas. Period. If it had stock front suspension (in geometry) it may be placed in MP but then the engine had to be in the stock location.

If you want facts go read the rulebooks. I have most of them and lived them and have read them. The premier event for drag racing was for many years the Nationals at Indy. If you look at the gas class results for Indy you will see that Gianino won not only class (D/G) in 68 with his 57 Vette but also eliminator. In 1969 Prontito another 57 Vette won class (B/G). Both cars ran at my home track and I watched both cars run in gas numerous times-along with other legitimate gas class Vettes such as Berkely Auto Electric’s Go-Rilla (427 BBC). I could go on and on but I am sure if you do a little research on the topic you will see that we did not waste 70 pages of discussing Corvette gassers.

els, Baron, elgringo71 and 6 others like this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Tannergang your car is the best thing to hit this thread in a long while. I am curious as to the tires you are running on the rear. I run pie crusts (Hurst) on mine but am in the market for a new set and the dog leg on the 62 restricts a bit on how large a tire to run. Are yours Towel City and what size are they?

Wheels look great as well what make? Are you running stock rear setup or upgraded? I know it is a bit of a haul but would love to see you bring it to the Meltdown. It would be a real hit for sure.

Feel free to fill us in on the details-great job.

And Dean is right-probably all of us had wished Mazmanian had used a little better discretion when he made the cut on the wheelwells.

els, Baron, elgringo71 and 2 others like this.
  13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Tannergang, I have heard of the owner before. He has good taste. It appears you know what you are doing. Great job with the lettering.

els, Baron, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I like to tell people....If your working on Top Shelf Stuff, it makes your work appear Top Shelf.....I've been Blessed to work for Top Shelf Hot Rodders, Street Rod builders and Racers my entire life.....not that they're not average working people, but they just have Super Nice Builds.....Thanks for the compliments.

els, Baron, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

gas 1.JPG

Ford SOHC power :) Al Grillo Ford speed Shop

gas FORD sohc power al grillo ford speed shop.JPG

Rasputin

gas rasputin.JPG

Trouble

gas trouble check.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 9 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

17. Deuces

Deuces

I've seen this one before.... I wonder if it ever got finished....??..... gas 1.JPG

1947knuck, els, Baron and 3 others like this.
  18. elgringo71

elgringo71

It belonged to a hamb member and he had vintage pictures of it when it was green. I don't know if he still has it

els, loudbang, Baron and 3 others like this.
  19. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Picture that I took at Niagara Dragstrip in '68. Niagara 69.jpg

1947knuck, els, Bangkok Dean and 8 others like this.
  20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Great picture Spiffy. Other than it was an injected small block do you remember anything about the car or owner?

els, loudbang, Baron and 2 others like this.
  21. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Sorry, don't have any info on the car or driver. As I've said in other posts, if I had of known, 50 years ago, that we'd all have computers and be sharing pictures I would have collected a lot more info and taken more pictures of cars. lol I enlarged the picture some but I can't make out the drivers name on the door--can anyone else read it?
    I just posted on the Niagara Dragstrip homepage hoping to find out more about the Vette.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    els, loudbang, Baron and 1 other person like this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

I kick myself repeatedly for being so short sighted myself. I was definitely not a camera guy-wish I had been. I tried to read the name and it appeared to be Rick Las...??? Whatever it is a cool car. There were a number of the early Vettes that ran in gas without a top, although if you listen to the so called "experts" they tell us that such never happened.

With that distinctive roll bar we should be able to pick it out in other group shots (I hope).

els, loudbang, Baron and 2 others like this.
  23. noboD

noboD

The color seems to match the '57 Belair in the back round. Possibly the same owner?

els, loudbang, Baron and 1 other person like this.
  24. Johnny99

Johnny99

On ebay now. Not $13.5K no more! Pretty darn cool old car.

25. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

I will be curious to see what it sells for. I really like the car and am not surprised with the price so far. It is encouraging that these old race cars are still being found or maybe being made public. There were so many of these old Vettes that ran back in the 60s and 70s and it is great to see them once again. Would love to see it make some of the vintage races. Hopefully someone close to where it is (Quincy, Il.) buys it and brings it to the Meltdown. With as good as it looks and with all of the tin work I do not believe we will see it ever go back to stock-thank goodness.

27. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I tried to buy that car. Both times. It’s local to me and I remember it well. My Dad ran the local Drag strip for a while and also ran JR. Fuel cars here. The poor old guy that owned it had no idea what it was worth. It sold on Craig’s list in a couple minutes. The guy that bought it lives 100 miles from here. He then put an ad up for sale with the eBay link and a price for 22k we traded texts I told him I could be there in a few hours with the cash but then he must have decided he could get more ( which he is, so I don’t really fault him for that) so he pulled the ad and quit responding to my texts voice mails. The car was painted by the same guy that painted a JR. Fuel car of my dad’s. One of the reasons I liked it so much they were the same colors. It was a very cool car and originally set up with injected 427 and a bunch of motor setback. I would have loved to have it to run at the Meltdown’s, HAMB Drags etc..... but I’m not going to get into a bidding war. I’m trying to retire soon and just can’t do that. I hope it goes to somebody that will put it back like it was. It won’t take much to get it period correct.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    els, Bowtie Coupe, jimdillon and 2 others like this.
  28. jimdillon

jimdillon

I see it sold for $25,300. I believe that is probably a fair price as compared to other early Vettes you could buy for the same price. This is a car that the owner can have some real fun with. Hope to see it at the Meltdown. Too bad Russco that you could not make it yours. I am sure you would have done the car proud at the vintage events.

29. loudbang

loudbang

30. loudbang

loudbang

Fake injectors LOL

gas 1a fake injectors...........JPG

gas 1a.JPG

Snow Job

gas snow job.JPG

Wife TROUBLE as it is now

Gas Wife Trouble now.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 5 others like this.