Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can anyone identify the make / model of this stock car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Kipling, Feb 5, 2018.

1. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

braf from kb 1.jpg Excuse my ignorance --- but is the #42 car a Packard or a ----?

2. Interesting looking car, lotta arch at the top of the door. Either the negative is reversed, or all the cars are right-hand drive. Wouldn't want to be in his way! Maybe European.

3. squirrel

squirrel

beats me! doesn't look like a Packard, because the grill is not peaked, and the windshield sits too low

(here's a cropped image so you don't have to zoom in)

braf from kb 1.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  4. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

Rusty, I should have said that it was an English stock car race, about 1955, and yes they are mostly right-hand drive, and counter-clockwise racing. There were lots of American Ford coupes (and Packards perhaps?) built in the UK, or imported from the States.

5. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Definitely RHD and not reversed image as the numbers are correct. They are racing counter clockwise as we do, thought they did everything backwards in Europe. Very odd looking car but does have a little Lincoln to it.

6. oldolds

oldolds

[​IMG]
    1936 Studebaker?

verde742, dan c, alanp561 and 12 others like this.
  7. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

Unless someone comes up with better, I'd say that 'Studie' is a perfect match. That rear slope is very distinctive.

8. PackardV8

PackardV8

As are the louvers down the top of the hood side panel.

jack vines

9. And the double belt-line reveals.

Scooterville and loudbang like this.
  10. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

Thanks, Packard. Some very sharp eyes (and brains) in this forum !

loudbang likes this.
  11. Stud' for sure, straight 8, perhaps,,,

12. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Good eye. Did they build Studes in Europe or would that be an import?

13. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

I just read that Studebaker owned a plant in Walkerville, Canada, where components manufactured in South Bend were assembled into cars for Canada and for the "British Empire". So it seems the old stock car, with right-hand drive, must have been a 'Canadian' import .

lothiandon1940 and catdad49 like this.
  14. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Thanks David, That all makes sense.

15. I does not I.D. the car but I think this is English stock car racing. They put huge bumpers on their cars and it was more like a rolling demolition derby.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

17. gene-koning

gene-koning

Most of the cars from the end of the coupe racing days at our local (USA) track looked like many of those older pictures. Fenders weren't required, but most had some pretty heavy nerf bars and channel iron bumpers.

At our local track, the rules were a guideline, rubbing was racing, and fights after the races were pretty common, right up to the early 70s. The track got new management and they cleaned things up a lot. Gene

loudbang likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

He has some serious crash protection LOL, between the front bumper, tire in front of the grille and side barsgoing back to the rear.

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Rear window says Dictator Coupe. Then in 39 the Dictator name disappeared. Hmmmm??

lothiandon1940 and squirrel like this.
  20. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

!!! Yes, I wonder which marketing director got a red face when Adolf got up on the world stage ---..

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Center steering.

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not near as much fun, huh?

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

I think a lot of things change when the old coupe bodies went away and the "late models" arrived about 65 or 66. Those early late models were tanks, many pushing well past 5,000 lbs! Our track was a long 1/2 mile, with two very long straights, and 2 banked U turns at the ends of the straights. Some of those 5,000 lbs tanks were running laps in the low 24 seconds. Somewhere around 68-69 the racers discovered that lighter cars were faster. Faster cars cost more money, and the big bumpers and nerf bars went away. There was still a lot of rubbing, and the rules were still pretty loosely followed, but for the most part the fights went away.
    I really didn't get personally involved until the mid 70s, and that was in the hobby stock class. My buddies and I had a lot of fun. Gene

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY