Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2018 Jalopyrama: Cancelled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

2018 Jalopyrama: Cancelled

[​IMG]

2. I've heard that they check I.D.s in Annapolis, not for legal drinking age, but to exclude Texans, who've been known to be trouble.:D;)

3. Just messin' with you there, Ryan.........Thanks for real for the support shown for the Jalopyrama and it's hopeful future.

4. Sad news. It sounds like the AG Center is really screwing themselves. I hope the power that be at the Jalopyrama have the made local public aware of how the AG Center has dealt with this. I.E. through the local paper, local news, etc. I know here where I live, the county fairgrounds only continues to raise their rates and surprisingly their facilities are use less and less each year.

5. Apparently, the greed factor is setting in. When I lived in Connecticut we had similar problems. The powers that be took it upon themselves to take over. ( money) When they failed to make it, they wondered why. Their heart wasn't in it.

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  6. ..............................Trashing them in the press might not be the best approach to take. Just sayin'.

7. Wow, didn't see that one coming. I was really looking forward to attending this event this year. What a shame. I hope they are able to locate an alternative site for this event for the future. It is too good of a show to let die on the vine.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about Hershey? They accommodate 9000 vendor spaces and have the arena right in the center. And it's quite obvious they cater to car folk, so just a thought. The week before or after would likely increase each other's attendance as well. Just a thought, don't know the costs involved, I'm a participant not a promoter.

9. Sad times for sure. Lets hope a new venue can be found in MD and keep the tradition going. It's about all we have left around here that is worth a salt.
    Thanks to all the guys that put this show on over the years, it's one of the best.

10. kb cookout

kb cookout

What about Frederick or Howard county fairgrounds ??

later kb

11. How's that song go..."the trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun".

lothiandon1940, Woogeroo and bct like this.
  12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Same song all over, when you take things like this away from being run by the enthusiasts of whatever type of event, whether it be cars or cowboys, or whatever, and allow the venue management to take over, all they can see are dollar signs, and within a short time the event either dies or moves.

harpo1313 likes this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I was planning on making the event this year after all of the positive feedback and coverage I’d seen especially here on the H.A.M.B., :(

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. There are two sides to every story, no offense.

15. Did you read Ryan's post? The venue management didn't take over the show.

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I read Ryan's post and no they didn't take over running the show, but it appears that they let the dollar signs get in their eyes and imposed terms and conditions that made the event venue untenable.What's your problem?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I’ll miss it, hope they can find another venue.
    One of the best I’ve been to. Sad.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what the local club goes through when putting on the local "big" show that many Hambers in the PNW hit and have hit for years I can see what Jalopyrama Promothers are up against. Main thing is the continual jacking up of fees and added restrictions. The fairground already has control over things like food and beverage sales plus get a cut of ticket sales. Every year the local fairgrounds adds fees for more security (who are only in keeping people away from certain buildings or areas and have no interest in the security of participants or their vehicles their largest interest being that everyone paid to get in.) The fairgrounds also get a part of every venders's fees.
    Thing here is that the whole area counts on the car show as bringing in extra income. People coming into town for car shows normally spend more money in the area than people for sporting events or the fair it's self. They eat out often, rent rooms in the motels and hotels, shop at the malls shop in the small local stores and the people in those businesses know who the rodders are and count on them being there at that time.

If it were me I'd put an announcement in the local paper where the fair grounds is announcing that due to the situation with the fairgrounds and their demands there will be no car show this year and regretfully no added business for the businesses that count on it that weekend.

I don't know how Jalopyrama does it as far as participant ID but locally they use and pretty well started the Event wrist band thing where you get the plastic wristband that shows you are a participant. Those wrist bands get noticed in every business you go in and spend money and all the sudden business people in town see how much money they are taking in from "those hot rodders" .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Greed spoils it for everyone that enjoys these shows, happens a lot here in Australia as well, people that try to make a killing for that week or weekend by jacking up their prices ie. Accommodation Owners demanding the minimum stay 4 days for a 3 day event, Camping Grounds doing the same & tripling their Tariffs Camping Sites & Hoteliers jacking up Bar Prices, just to name a few.......in the end the Clubs that run these Events end up taking their events to another Town........have you tried approaching the Colleges or High Schools as they have huge Arena's & indoor Facilities, I'm sure they would welcome the funds generated......Good Luck & hope something can be done ;)

wraymen likes this.
  20. oj

oj

Between JalopyRama and the Rodders' Journal shows being cancelled the East Coast is hurting for events.

21. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

how about the washington county ag center,its in the hagerstown ,md area, 7 miles south of interstate 70.,plenty of food places,Antietam battlefield very near,its pretty much all new in the last 10 years or so ,plenty of parking,beautiful; country side views,and automotive inspired,68 acres,with a rural heritage museum,call dave brooks at 240-313-2807

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Contact the local business association and let them know why the event is being cancelled. Business owners can have a big influence on politics as well as local facilities, far more than the average citizen can ever hope to have.

23. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Total bummer for me , we were going to go back this year now it’s another one off our list

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

These guys have the right idea, as the old saying goes "payback is a MFO"

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Sounds like the usual"Cutting off yer nose to spite your face"kind of thing.Sounds like when a friend of mine by the name of C.Reed Knight wanted to expand his business in Indian river county Fl and he just got the runaround from the powers that be.He just bought the old Thomahawk missel plant in Cocoa Fl and moved his business.Before he was done with the remodel he had over 50 million in govt contracts and he ain`t looked back since.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Well, that sucks. The show was such a great time, with so many fine cars.

* Edit -Thank you Ryan for getting the word out. Possibly another location can be found.
    We would love to host some Texans here in the Northeast.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  27. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is truly a shame as Mike and the Rusty Nuts have worked their tails off to make this a great event. For those suggesting alternative locations, keep in mind that a key requirement is a large, clean (hard surface) indoor show space.

Dino 64 and wraymen like this.
  28. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

It's just like when they killed Paso Robles (in a way), they killed all that revenue for the local people

Jonnie King likes this.