Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A cool roadside attraction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 1, 2018.

1. THANKS ( Lil32 ) I'm sure he'll add it to his list.:) 20180129_162234.jpg This is his #1 place that he wants to see. The U Drop Inn, at Shamrock TX. Because of the Cars movie.;) Ron...

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

paul philliup, i.rant, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  2. Ace61, paul philliup, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-1-30_3-47-52.png Fort Ross, Sonoma County CA
    Hello,

Want an extreme driving experience for your hot rod? From SF North, Highway 1 winds along the rugged coast for miles. One of the most unusual places was Fort Ross State Historic Park is in Sonoma County on the West Coast. It is right on the ocean front bluff, clifftop. The shoreline along this portion of the coast is about as rough as you can get.

It is about a 3 hour drive up Highway 1, north of the Golden Gate in San Francisco. This place shows a different portion of California history. . From the south we had the long line of Spanish influenced, missions. From the north, the Russian community developed a community and fort, here in Sonoma County.

It wasn’t Cowboys and Indians like in the Midwest forts, but it did play a big part of early California history. It is amazing that it still stands. The salt air and terrific daily winds should have beaten the daylights out of this fort. But, it still stands. It is/was a little eerie to walk around the whole grounds when there are a few people there. The feeling is that someone or “thingy” is behind you as you are looking at the old buildings or grounds. Those cold breezes did not help when it goes up your back and neck. Yikes!

Jnaki

It is about a 30 minute drive south of Sea Ranch, CA. It is our favorite spot on this rugged coastal portion of the California’s West Coast. We discovered this Sea Ranch community in 1967 in a scary, rainy, coastal drive on one of our sojourns to the Bay Area.

We have always wanted to live here, but the weather was horrendous in the winter and not too pleasant during the spring, either. The weather fronts were similar to coastal San Francisco, but with less people.

The last time we visited was during the summer and it had similar temps to coastal So Cal on a cool morning. It was blustery and cold at night. Because it is on the northern ocean coast, it takes the brunt of any weather front coming in from the north and west. But, it was just a cool place to live. Obviously a different style of clothing is required vs So Cal.

“Fort Ross was a former Russian establishment on the west coast of North America in what is now Sonoma County, California, in the United States. It was the hub of the southernmost Russian settlements in North America from 1812 to 1842.”
    upload_2018-1-30_3-51-38.png upload_2018-1-30_3-51-57.png
    upload_2018-1-30_3-52-13.png

4. The State of the Union Address. Will be held in the U.S. Capital building, in about an hour. D.C. makes for A fun road trip. 101.jpg So here's a photo of the family, with the Mc. Gee roadster. Keeping it a H.A.M.B. roadside attraction.;)

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Food was terrible last time I was there about twenty years ago.

loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. But it was cool that it survived, and they used it in the cars movie. This guy is just showing off. :eek: 20180103_034303.jpg

blowby, Marcia, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  7. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a few of you may recognize this attraction in baker, california. world's tallest thermometer. we usually eat lunch in this town, which is between vegas and palm springs. Scan0044.jpg

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope that's not a rectal one !

9. That Bozo guy wouldn’t be a clown would he?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. The shark was at Dinosaur Land, on Va. route 340. A heavily traveled road back in the 50's and 60's. It's cool that it still exist. Probably because of the local schools doing some day trips. There where lots of these types of roadside attractions at one time. That was before all the interstates and large theme parks, likes of Kings Dominion, Disney World etc. Here's a few more pictures. I hope I haven't already posted. :rolleyes: 20171013_123920.jpg 20171013_123613.jpg 20171013_124148.jpg I would like to see more pictures of places like this. I do think they're out there, we just gotta fine them.;) Ron...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  12. gatz

gatz

I29 Exit 36 in MO

Farris Truck Stop, I-29 Exit 36.jpg

13. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

I think you meant to say between Vegas and Barstow.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  14. The old train depot at Point of Rocks Md. Still in continuous use since 1873. 1513.jpg 1523.jpg 1515.jpg 1511.jpg

15. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

You sure have a lot of fun with your grand kids. Just think of all the stories they will have to share when they are older. They will have great memories of their awesome grand parents.

16. 20180103_043544.jpg
    { gatz } How about this one. looks like it fell on its nose.

Ace61, wraymen, blowby and 5 others like this.
  17. gatz

gatz

yep
    "GOT PROBLEMS ?" would be an understatement.

18. loudbang

loudbang

Found this on the web

roadside attraction.JPG

19. How about this. A giant 18 foot tall turtle, made from over 2ooo old rims. Where do you find that many rims the same size?:eek: It's in Dunseith North Dakota. Ron... [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D I forgot a place of interest in Ft Pierce Fl.The UDT Museum on the South side of the inlet.Ft Pierce was the site of the first UDT training site of WW2.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Thanks for the info

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

We drove Route 66 through Arizona

Attached Files:

23. Have to go to The Snow Cap in Seligman during the summer. There are people from all over the world there.
    Guys on rental Harleys that don't speak a word of English. Fun place ..Get a malt !

24. Thanks Mark, that's a very cool video! Really makes you want to cruise the old Route 66.:) 20170421_112940_001.jpg 20170421_112905.jpg :)

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I know for a fact that it's between L.A. and Detroit, went through there in June on the 97 Hot Rod Power Tour, 110 degrees, boy did they name that place right!

26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-2-6_5-13-58.png Jupiter Island, Florida
    Hello,

In one of our travels, we came across the Jupiter Island Lighthouse in Jupiter, Florida. It is just north on the Atlantic Ocean Coastline from Fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach. It is a short drive up the coast from the Palm Beach area. We have seen other lighthouses, but this one was an odd red color and stood out in a big inlet to the ocean. It was not out on a point warning weary boaters away from the rocky Atlantic Ocean shoreline.

upload_2018-2-6_5-16-25.png photo v. nak 2011
    The Atlantic Ocean outlet about a ½ mile away. It is part of the Intracostal Waterway.

Most lighthouses we have seen are painted a bright white color and are located on the exact coastal point or breakwater. This one was a darkish red with a black top and is located in a large inlet (almost .5 miles inland) to the ocean. Of course, we had to climb up to the top. There were rules about bring fit enough to climb by yourself and not be assisted.

The stairwell has rest spots at various levels, but the stairwell itself is very narrow. Luckily, a window was left open and the strong wind was swirling around up and down the tall tube with us climbing to the top.
    upload_2018-2-6_5-17-47.png
    Jnaki

It was a fun climb and visit to this odd lighthouse. At the local beach near Palm Beach, the Atlantic Ocean had its own, “different” feel to it. (My wife also said the water felt different than on the West Coast, Pacific Ocean.) The lighthouse is 153 ft above the water below. There is a sign that says: “For your safety, all persons must be able to climb unassisted and may not be carried up the lighthouse.” For old people and the extremely young, the stairs are steep and narrow. But, we made it to the top! Yes !

“The Jupiter Lighthouse is an iconic symbol of our charming, seaside town, Jupiter, Florida. If you have yet to climb the steps of the Lighthouse you should definitely add it to your list.

The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse has been a standing landmark since 1860. There is a waterfront museum that is features several buildings showcasing stories of old Florida. These stories focus on over 5,000 years of human habitation in and around the Jupiter Inlet and the Loxahatchee River. Many of the names of our towns come from the people who lived here way before us, from Pennock Point to the Village of Tequesta.

Your tour will begin in the newly built Museum Gifts and Sweet Shop. You will walk along a brick-lined path to the several exhibits including a restored WWII Navy Building, an 1892 Tindall Pioneer Homestead Exhibit and a 100 year old Pennock Plantation Bell. Then you will get to climb the 105 steps leading to the top of the 108-foot tall lighthouse.

It is a must do! Once you arrive at the top you will see Jupiter from a new pair of eyes. You can see for miles, the beautiful twists and turns of the Loxahatchee River, up the beach to Jupiter Island and down it to Palm Beach.”

upload_2018-2-6_5-18-45.png
    2011 v. nak photo

27. Thank's JNAKI, my wife really loves lighthouses too.;) I thought this jeep was Cool. It's at the Emirates National Auto Museum. Gives new meaning to the term High Boy!:rolleyes: 20180206_113042.jpg 20180206_082527.jpg

28. atch

atch

World's largest thermometer: 72155 Baker Blvd, Baker, CA. Which, coincidentally, happens to be between Barstow and Las Vegas.

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi JNAKI.Been to the lighthouse many times,as I grew up just up the road from there at Vero Beach.Thanks for posting the pictures.Had boxes of pictures from all over that my Father took when we went on day trips around Fl and on vacations.When Dad died in 1994 all of that disappeared.
    Good luck.Have fun/Be safe.
    Leo

30. Here's the worlds largest Lobster! It's 35 feet long. You can find it at New Brunwick Canada. The U.S.A. isn't the only one, that has cool roadside attractions.;) 20180206_081708.jpg