Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auto-Darkening helmet resolution and lag?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shakedown St., Jan 19, 2018.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Back when I was using a fixed helmet, a friend who welded for a living, brought me a gold lense. I put it in and tried it, scared the $hit out of me. I couldn't believe how clear it was. Used it for a long time. As far as the helmet search goes, I bought a Lincoln used off ebay in real nice shape, then tonight a friend of mine came in the garage and told me he had me a Jackson helmet. Can't wait to try it, I heard they were real nice and everyone I bid on on ebay just kept going higher and higher.

Shakedown St. likes this.
  2. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Got to the bottom of what was going on with the Miller Classic in our shop, not sure why it's doing this.

When you have the gun angled a certain way, it blocks the light from the arch from reaching the sensor. I will be in the middle of welding, and the sensor will think I stopped and go bright on me.

If I keep the sensor real close to the arch by leaning in, it seems to react much better but not perfect. Still getting flashed by it, but it speeds up the process of doing plug welds dramatically.

3. Just got the new wide vision helmet from Eastwood. $200. Super comfortable and lite weight. The extra viewing range is well worth it to me.
    Haven’t used it with the TIG yet but with MIG it’s awesome

4. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Most of the modern high dollar helmets have more than one light sensor to keep the light from being blocked. Must be some not working on your Miller.

5. Try cleaning the sensors,
    Between the cover lens

6. On my second Miller. Not cheap but well worth it for me. It has a grinding setting.