Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New project - 1932 Ford 5 window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 28, 2018.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

How is it getting along with the Tudor & Fordor? Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. I know what you mean about the cost of building a flattie, Danny. I was going to build the flathead in my truck, but after investigating the price I decided that a 348 could be built cheaper so I went that route.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Bob,the fordor is now in Tennessee,so the coupe,tudor and the Ranch Wagon are all that's in the garage. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, I think you know me well enough to know that I am more of a pragmatist than a traditionalist in that I think what's right for you and your needs for use are more important than what is "traditional" according to the powers that be here on HAMB. Myself, I consider the status quo here as more on the order of "period correct":rolleyes:
    At the age of 80, I was around and active in the car culture when the OHV V8s appeared. When a wrecked car so equipped wound up in a wrecking yard with parts and pieces for sale, the dust hadn't settled before hot rodders were there clamoring for the engine:eek:
    Just as when Henry replaced the banger with the flathead V8, it took a few years to get things sorted out, but we all knew that the handwriting was on the wall. Then along came the SBC and SBF engines with light weight and compact size and all that was left for the flathead guys was nostalgia and memories.:oops:
    You can build a 350 even cheaper than the 327 or the 283, and if you shop around, they are cheap enough to more than save the cost of another shortblock in the parts price differences.
    My love of manual transmissions is even reflected in the "prestige" tags on mine, the "3 pedals" on the roadster and "3pedls2" on my '40 coupe.:cool:
    But at the times when I get caught in a big traffic jam in either one, with pull up and stop, go again and stop again like I did last year driving the '40 to SIM, I miss the automatic in my OT DD and p'up.:(
    Somehow I get the idea that you may want to set this coupe up for road trips, if so a 2004R or 4R700 with the overdrive is great if you get a gear in the rear that along with tire diameter, results in an rpm of around 2000 at 70mph. The '40 is setup this way with the T5, a 3:70 gear, and 235X15/70 rear tires and is a great road car.:)
    The roadster however is a Toploader 4 speed, no OD, 8.20X15 rear tires and 70 mph is 3000. Lemme tell you, those side pipes, which are barely baffled, can get tiresome on a road trip:confused:
    I'm in total agreement with you on this.

HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  5. I hear ya Dave,Like I told Mark,the car has such a left alone look and basically the only update was a dropped & drilled axle along with juice brakes my current thoughts are akin to taking the Mona Lisa and painting a plaid dress on her and adding a mustache.

I even thought about selling it because I fell like I would be that guy taking a traditional piece and screwing it up. HRP

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it!! Like you I'm a bit beat up at 75 as well-too many years climbing poles etc. An auto and 327 works great for me in my 40-makes it much easier the drive.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm with olscrounger on the 327 with auto trans. After building my last 2 deuces with 5 speeds I'm just finishing up a chopped 5 window with SBC and 350 trans. It will make driving much easier.

HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  8. I'm sure you have built more Deuces than me and my pickup was powered by a 327 and a 350 tranny,I did us a Bronco 9" rear. HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

11. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't know you well olscrounger, but I do know that not just any 327 will do for you, any time I post something about a HOT 327, you hit the "like" button!
    I'm a little younger than you and Danny so you'll have to pry my hand off my four four speed.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As you can see mine is working fine.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks great, HRP! Congrats!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Same here, it gives the car a totally different look. Could someone Photoshop fenders on it? Bob

16. So, is the banger drive train on the block?
    Check out Sam Barnes' (thequietwon on here) avatar survivor 5W highboy with 327 hooked to 39 trans.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. I like that little car a lot. I too thought I wanted a flathead until I started pricing them. What about just adding a Gear Vendors overdrive to the 4 banger? I've heard they work great.

Glad to hear the Fordor is living on. Hope you hit a home run on the deal too.

18. Great score! I like that interior. Congrats.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. cavman

cavman

Awesome....Congrats.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Nothing is written in stone and your name is on the list if and when I make a decision. HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. As shown by my avatar, I'm the first guy to have a hot rod with no fenders but I truly love the looks of a stock height deuce coupe with a good slam job and full fenders. I dunno, if the top is not chopped, it looks a little clumsy with no fenders IMHO.
    They'll be plenty of guys disagree with this but I love a full fendered non-chopped deuce coupe on the ground. 35 wires [bigs&littles] make the look even better!

22. Rocky,I too like them with fenders and you can bet your last dollar I ain't gonna chop the top,been there done that. HRP

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

24. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Nice find. Congratulations.

25. greaser

greaser

Awesome little coupe you found there, Danny! My all-time favorite, and one that's always out of my reach. I know you'll treat her right, whatever you decide. Congratulations!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Since finishing my roadster w/Merc flathead & T5, I've had left hip replacement (got infected so needed a re-do) & left hand surgery for carpel tunnel & arthritis in my wrist. Not as much fun driving. Have an adapter from Hot Heads to put an auto OD behind the flathead but don't really want to change it. Considering selling & getting an un-chopped coupe w/auto & sb. I've had 10 surgeries since '05 (eyes, knees, hip, shoulders, hand!!) & looking at the right hand carpel tunnel. Must be getting old!!

P.S. Keep working Krylon 32 - might need another of your chassis!!

Attached Files:

27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Offer still stands.
    My plan would be to keep the banger if I had it.
    Mines ready to drive. rebuilt flatly and all.

28. Here's a quick one...Sorry HRP:D

HRP.jpg

29. studebaker46

studebaker46

Danny how much more trad than a 283 or small journal 327 Tom

30. louisb

louisb

Love the fenders. One day I will own a full fendered duece coupe. I got a nice 57 283 that is perfect for it.

—louis