Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auction Site Payment Changes ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 1, 2018.

1. I've seen that and I let buyers use it, beats the crap out of checks. My own use of Pay Pal, I stopped using their credit to buy things, they wouldn't recognize my credit union bill-pay and they would send me refund checks. I had to pay on their site but, now I tie it to my debit card or use another credit card.

2. GTS225

GTS225

Well, you're free to pay using that method, but that's something I do not do for any reason, is to send financial account numbers over an internet connection. It's just too risky, in my opinion. There's too many hackers out there, just waiting for the opportunity to steal your money anonymously.

Roger

3. Vanness

Vanness

That’s what everyone fears. But yet most of us use mobile banking or transfer and pay with our phones. It used to be something to worry about, but just like phones, the technology got sharper.

4. I got the same evilbay letter.
    Same wording.
    Several years ago they announced they were making their world better by intercepting all customer-to-seller payments and holding them 24 or 25 days before letting the seller have his money. for the good of everybody of course.
    I was prepared to close my store the very moment they tried that on me. For some reason they never did that to me even tho they said they would.
    I will not loan ebay my money to put in a bank with millions they steal from other sellers, to profit evilbay millions in interest while I lose money. No matter what.
    For some reason (longtime seller with great reputation?), they haven't done that to me yet.
    I wonder if they are about to bring that payment-holding back or expand it. ???
    They have a special double-talk language that deliberately tells you little while hinting there is something coming.. that may be it.
    For the first ten years it was easy for me and many others to do $10,000 a month.
    It was a really fun "job" without being a JOB Job.
    After they changed leadership with a new ceo, things kept going downhill.
    At first their rule changes were to make it a safer smoother process. Then they got very greedy and became power mad control freaks.
    I survived a few seller revolts when thousands left each time, then when new feedback rules made feedback a joke, fees went up for the umpteenth time, shoplifters became the preferred virtuous ones, sellers they used to like suddenly became the enemy, evilbay started sending me dire warnings of consequences for my excessive shipping fees (I was selling heavy iron items, and evilbay was doing a big push to make sellers offer pretend "free shipping" by moving the shipping costs into the higher selling prices so evilbay can tax the "free" shipping costs too)(is taxing the post office fees legal?) and then one more fee hike- I finally closed my store. They evolved their open marketplace where my customers shopped in my rented store, then slowly into a repressive dictatorship where my 20yr customers I brought with me into my ebay store were suddenly considered ebays customers not mine. I couldn't even talk to them.
    It's their business to run as they please, but they drove out hundreds of very good sellers I used to buy supplies from.
    After a great run since 98 and as a big Powerseller for over a decade, I am no longer interested...
    I still sell a little every now and then, and have a super great rating, but they will never get more than a trickle from me any more.
    Yeah, they are using their famous double-talk to prepare you for something you are prolly not going to like, but they want to get you ready for the smack-in-the-head.
    I'm still in good standing, but instead of thousands in monthly fees, they won't get more than pennies from me any more.
    If they ever bring back the open market ebay of the 90s, I'd prolly go back, but I know they won't do it.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Nostrebor, Truck64 and Kan Kustom like this.
  5. rockfish

rockfish

I'm gonna say something I never expected to but I agree with Gimpy.:D I'll be honest and admit that I love eBay. I have 3 kids and work 6 days a week (not complaining) and eBay gives me access to parts for my projects that I would never have access to otherwise. Is there a price premium to be payed? Maybe sometimes, but I also find the occasional great deal too. I don't miss the swap meet scene at all. In the Wisconsin area the quality and variety of parts is pretty poor if your into the vehicles that this site is about. I also love Craigslist but I'll save that story for another time. Times have changed and I'm trying to focus on the positive.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"It was amazing to me that our accounts were vulnerable but their billing system was infallible."

Hey it could happen! Seriously you guys.

7. jammer

jammer

Good info guys , I'm signed up , maybe someone will have some good ideas , Thanks

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even a busted clock it right twice-a-day.;)

9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It does take money to run a business, and I agree their overhead is probably very high.

I also agree that they alienated their base seller group for the sake of becoming more "Amazon" and did it with a you don't matter attitude towards the sellers that built their brand.

I also did a short stint as a power seller. The letter they just sent out reminds me of the communication spin they where pushing when they kicked us regular Joes to the curb. Perhaps I'm jaded.

dare-to-be-different and blowby like this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are not their primary market.

I don't expect they care about alienating a tiny minority of their users.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca