Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods High or low tail lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

2. av8

av8

Consider a '48-'49 Pontiac taillight; it has the same handsome domed lens as the '50 lamp, but the bezel is shaped to fit a sloped surface. Easy enough to rotate the lamp to fit the surface and keep the lens perpendicular with the longitudinal axis of the car. And more than a little traditional . . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

gnichols, Elcohaulic and Terrible80 like this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

Whether you chose high or low, just be sure to run a rear bumper, especially with the gas tank right there!:eek: People today are only focused on their phones.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come over and help block sand then.

It ain't bullshit. You were not there, and you patently have no idea what you are talking about.

She saw my car, and dismissed my two brake lights as running lamps, and then went back to what she was doing. She admitted that to the cop. She admitted that she saw my lights! It is in the police report!

It was the fact that she did not know what just two lights meant is what got me fighting the insurance company for 99-days, including filing a formal complaint with the state insurance commissioner, to get them to pay out for the damage. Then had me chasing patch panels, one after the next, to find ones that actually fit, and crawling salvage yards to find non-rotted replacement body pieces to replace my previously undamaged and un-rusted ones. And then had me carefully aligning the whole deal, so I could painstakingly TIG weld it all together, around the 88-100 hours that I work every single week.

You might think that you have traffic in your city, but our's is worse than Los Angeles, and getting worse.

We have folks here from 200 nations, and each drives to customs and practices of his or her nation-of-origin.

TagMan, RICH B and Bandit Billy like this.
  5. 392

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok. I had moose do his magic.

seb fontana, pitman and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. car doctor

car doctor

I like the low 37 lights or the 48 Chevy lights the best. Big improvement!

Terrible80 likes this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's DISTRACTED driving. If she hadn't been texting, she would have been paying better attention. Dismissing brake lights for running lights IS bull shit. Even if that's not a lie to get out of fault. Which is what it sounds like. The insurance company probably got a good laugh, when they read that.

I've driven in L.A, N.Y.C, San Francisco, Chicago and Houston for quite a while. All these cities are diversified and have citizens from different lands, with different customs and there are bad drivers in all of them. Yours is no better or worse. It sucks your car got banged up and it's taking a lot of time to fix. Been there, done that. But when someone is behind the wheel of a moving vehicle and they are doing anything other than watching the road, it's called DISTRACTED driving. Ask a cop.

"You were not there, and you patently have no idea what you are talking about." No, I wasn't there. But I know what I'm talking about.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going against the grain here . I like the high lights sticking out. They fit the time era of what was available when the car was built.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice attempt to backpedal, but you are still wrong.

Thanks quoting the statement that proves me right.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No back pedal intended. I don't need to. I think the girls story was a lie and I used your quote to show how lame that lie was. Your quote says she went back to what she was doing. Which was texting. So, she was distracted. If she hadn't been texting to begin with, she would have paid more attention to your tail lights. Hell, she probably didn't see your car at all.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. evintho

evintho

Now, now girls..........................

392..........I like pics 3 & 4. Just make sure they're LED conversions. And don't forget a 3rd brake light in the rear window. With no bumper and the gas tank sitting right there, you want your lights as bright as they can be!

pitman likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts.

13. L7

L7

If the gal that smacked the rear of the Falcon had not been texting during drivers education she would have realized what a brake light was! :D

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. 392

I might have moose do more. Maybe move originals down more.

15. 392

image.jpeg Ok Moose did more magic. What do you think.

16. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

hey gimpy ...most 18 wheelers have no third light .. buy tour thinking i should be rear ended daily .oh i drive daily in NYC

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like photo number three...

18. The '37 lights on the frame; look to be in an attractive location. But a larger light like your Mopars or maybe '34-'36 Ford would seem more fitting.
    Since don't have a license plate mounted yet, maybe you could center it in the back panel and use one of those old tag lights that incorporates a red lens. This could be converted to a third brake light and make everybody happy.

19. That last pic looks the best of all with those lights. Where would you mount the rear plate?

392, can you tell me the size/brand of your tire combo? I like the look. PM me if you want so we don't hijack this subject. Thanks

20. I also think this looks the best! Bottom line it is up to you! Hot rod has to be yours.

21. Yeah, the lowered lights look great to me too.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see them get hit at least three times a week.

23. 392

Yea I'm glad I had it done by Moose. I think of all the last really nails it. The rear plate I'm not 100% sure. I liked the idea of stand alone type. I might be at it again to see what might look right with a plate.

24. 392

Thanks Rocky. I think it does look the best.

25. 392

Thanks ct1932ford and yes your right but with the Hamb it helps get opinions from people who get it.

26. High lights did not help my buddy from getting ass ended with his freshly built Hilton Hot Rod 29 sedan. I'm not a fan of high and big round tail lights but it's his car and if he likes them I guess that's all that counts.
    thumbnail_2108.jpg

car doctor and gimpyshotrods like this.
  27. thunderplex

thunderplex

28. Ouch!:oops:

29. I hear you, good people that get it here! All the best with the car!

30. The guy following behind you?
    If you dont poke him in the eye, he may never know to slow down.
    I like the looks of low down lights, but survival is more important.
    Put them where they can't be overlooked.
    ....sometimes I'm tempted to put one on a long spear aimed just above the following driver's steering wheel. I wonder if that'll do any good.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

gimpyshotrods likes this.