Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Questions about buying a car out of state.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrewtownPrez, Feb 2, 2018.

1. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

I am considering purchasing a Ford for a private party in Florida. I have never done this before and was wondering how to go about doing this without flying to Florida from Wisconsin to personally check the car out.

Does anyone know of a reputable company that can be hired to inspect the car and give an honest appraisal of the condition of it?

Or is there another way to be sure the car is what it is represented to be.

The car is mostly mechanically stock so I’m not too concerned about any poor quality modifications that were made.

I’ve heard many horror stories of guys buying a car and being totally disappointed. Videos and picture really don’t tell you everything about a car.

I’d appreciate and look forward to any ideas or suggestions.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

You can hire the best resource in the world, and they will give you their OPINION on the condition of the car. So then you pull the trigger and still risk being disappointed.
    I may use someone that I personally know te evaluate the vehicle, but more likely I would not buy a vehicle sight unseen.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy a plane ticket, and a room at Motel 6.

Only YOU know what YOU want. Everything you say or write is open to interpretation.

Frontier airlines has flights from Milwaukee to Orlando, for $89/each way.

4. I agree with Gimpy, $300 spent on actually doing your own inspection is priceless, everyone's opinion on what a car looks like is different.

Don't even need a motel room, take a early bird flight down, have seller meet you at airport, fly back same night.

lothiandon1940 and Vanness like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a number of members in Florida and one or the other might be able to take a look and take photos. Or suggest someone to check it out who does it for a living. Thing is Florida is pretty spread out so posting what area of the state the car is in might get a response from someone close to it.

6. BJR

BJR

I bought a 54 Buick convert from Florida about 10 years ago. We agreed on a price, and the more I thought about it I figured I had better go look at it. I flew out there with the idea I would drive it back to Wisconsin. I would have never made the trip, and was not as advertised. I did buy it, but for $4,000 less then we agreed on initially, and had it shipped back to WI. I WILL NEVER BUY A CAR WITHOUT FIRST LOOKING AT IT. Good luck Brian

7. Lots of HAMBers in Florida just ask to see if someone will look at it for ya.

8. long island vic

long island vic

Ii had car in western pa, a non runner.. seller sent all the pics I asked for...told my shipper what I wanted him too look for,, and call when he was there no problems not the normal but all good

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I've only had one occasion where an appraiser came to my place to look a car over for a guy in another State. While he did know cars generally...and he used to own a thriving collector car lot, he didn't know anything about the car he was appraising. I feel his opinion was not fully valid. He didnt take into account that it was a 1 of 450 or so ever made, super rare musclecar....it was all original to boot. He was assessing it as if it was just a 1967 xyz. I also feel an appraiser feels the need to be overly negative to justify his existence. A cars rarity must be taken into account and indeed its original drivetrain is most times its main value driver. If you just need someone to lay eyes on something to generally assess the condition..rust...etc..it might be ok. But his opinion is just that ..his opinion. Might be totally different from yours..what he might think is ok, might be a deal breaker for you. Lastly I'm batting about a thousand with being disappointed with cars I've bought over the years without seeing them. I'm in Socal and have an admittedly biased way of looking at cars , since I compare them with cars from here. The best way to avoid disappointment and buying a car by mistake is seeing it for yourself. Even then you could make a mistake...but odds will be as minimized as possible.

olscrounger likes this.
  10. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Do what Gimpy said unless you are filthy rich and don't care if you get stuck with crappy car from a lying seller.

11. oldolds

oldolds

Flights to Florida are usually the cheapest place to fly to from up north. Right now round trips are in the $150 price range. Fly down and get warm for a day.

12. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

Thanks to everyone for their input!
    I figured seeing it in person was my best bet and you all agreed on that.

1927graham likes this.
  13. I bought mine out of state on eBay, but it was $2500 and $1200 to ship. I figured I could part it out if it was that bad, turned out it was better than I expected.

I work with a guy, he bought a OT Road Runner for $14k with a 383 and 4-speed. Sight unseen out of state. RUST BUCKET is a kind word, the car needs EVERYTHING. I helped him track down some of the floor crossmembers. I am doing my best not to get involved with the project.

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

There was a great thread on here late last fall about a Wisconsin guy buying a Ford in Florida and what all he went thru. Search should show it.

15. rockfish

rockfish

Fly me down to FLA for a long weekend and I'll be glad to inspect it for you. :D

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

17. In reality to go yourself is the best bet. If you do arrange for someone to go look and they take pictures and send them to you. You will still not be that 100% sure of what you just bought until you get it home. Then the $300 may be a lot cheaper.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I bought a car in Florida sight unseen off the original owners and made a fun trip to go get it and check out the Turkey run for the first time,the body was like the pictures shown but after I started driving it the motor would loose oil pressure when warm. It was a 2000 dollar car and a 700 dollar parts car got me a sweet running motor and drove it over 10 years,if you buy one from Florida look at the roof since that is where they like to rust out down there.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Where at in Florida ? I am in Crystal River and would gladly check it out for you. What type of car?
    I live in central Florida on the west coast.

20. E75F39C6-B466-40B3-BB5A-B897AF826860.jpeg 9D04CA24-569F-4769-8C6E-9C9D52A42AB2.jpeg 808A4A49-856A-4CEE-9114-ADE81EBC91F7.jpeg D5438946-1AD1-4636-A8F3-6281553007F3.jpeg 280A004A-8E45-4232-88F7-2FC4F5688568.jpeg F4728B56-2C37-43D1-8914-7849DBCAEF61.jpeg Catch a flight or drive down with a trailer to pick it up - no one but You is buying the car - You are the only opinion that matters,

I have been asked to inspect cars - courier cash and/or check for payment - carry title or ownership documents - I decline.

I transport vehicles .......

Jim

21. RMONTY

RMONTY

Get the airplane ticket. Go look yourself. Consider it part of the purchase price if you decide to buy it. If you don't buy it then you won't keep asking yourself whether or not you should have gone and looked at it. Or buy locally.

5window likes this.
  22. I wouldn't do it again. Bought a Buick out of WI from a known Hamber and it showed up with a bad transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 5window

5window

I like your comment. Not sure what the pictures really mean or add to the conversation other than to let us know you haul cars. HAMB-O Dex is the place for that.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  24. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Get a local hamber to give a look. I did it for a guy up north and it saved him plane cost as the car was a POS. If you get a positive from first look, then by all means get there yourself and make a decision on the spot.

25. khead47

khead47

NEVER buy a car without seeing it in person ! NEVER EVER EVER !

olscrounger and Gman0046 like this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

khead47 X2. Almost bought a 57 Chevy wagon sight unseen. Came to my senses and went to see it. What a POS. It would have been a huge mistake. NEVER EVER EVER buy a car you haven't seen.

olscrounger likes this.
  27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Agree--go look yourself-have been thru the same deal-great car blah blah blah. 8 hr trip one way with a trailer and cash and came home with empty trailer and the cash! Was not near as described-glad we went and looked. I have looked at cars for folks on here but not crazy about it-do my best to describe but everyone's opinion is different.

28. donno

donno

I have checked out potential buy's for Hamber's. Usually for lunch, maybe fuel depending on distance / location.

29. I live in Florida AND do pre-purchase vehicle inspections on O/T and classic cars.

5window likes this.