Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Lakester Build (THUNDERCASKET)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, Nov 12, 2012.

1. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

If you want to cut tubing square and easy, tighten a hose clamp around it, scribe a line, rough trim 1/16th to the line with a cutoff wheel and roloc to the scribe. Easy, fast and you save money on expensive tools. Hand grinding notches is always faster and easier for me then settting up a notching jig as well.

Tim_with_a_T and patmanta like this.
  2. Mikel50

Mikel50

I’m curious why you aren’t using your portaband saw ?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I actually am now, and have been. I mistakenly thought that this tool would be better (which, if it were a precision tool, it would be). So I essentially use this tool to set a general mark that's good enough to make sure my portaband isn't drifting, do the cut slowly, and deburr.

BenLeBlanc and tomschev2 like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I've had good luck with that tube cutter if I don't try to rush it. I like my metal chopsaw a lot better.

patmanta and tomschev2 like this.
  5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, it has occurred to me that it could be made to work better with a guide strip to align the wheels and a bit more time setting up the cuts. I'm also looking at the tool itself and wondering if it could be improved as far as precision goes.

I hate my chopsaw; it's incredibly loud and likes to trip my breaker all the way back in the house in the basement. Though, I doubt it would do that on 16ga tube with a thin blade.

tomschev2 likes this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I keep forgetting to tell you that "THUNDERCASKET" make chuckle every time I read it.

Shaun1162, tomschev2 and patmanta like this.
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

ME TOO!

tomschev2 likes this.
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I made A LITTLE progress this weekend, some on the car and some on the shop conditions.

I finally cut the last tube for the header run around the steering shaft. I feel like I've been agonizing about this for at least a quarter-year now and I'm still not done. Next I'll address the center port and then move on to agonizing about how to tie it all into the main pipe.

20171202_142650.jpg
    20171202_142650.jpg

20171202_142700.jpg

So, instead of continuing to drive myself crazy on these tubes, I moved on to driving myself crazy with another tube for the steering. I pulled a F1 drop and tube I got for shipping plus a penny off ePay. Neither piece is pristine but nor are they rotten like a lot of my stuff starts off so it was refreshing. I had to change the angle of the drop so I put it in the vice and gave it a few thuds with a deadblow hammer and fine tuned it by bumping the sides down until I got to around 20° (the dash seems to sit around 5°).

20171202_142057.jpg

I cut the tube down, pulled the clamp off the end, and got a bushing partially pushed up into the end to center the shaft.

20171202_133527.jpg 20171202_133542.jpg 20171202_133530.jpg
    20171202_132820.jpg 20171202_132829.jpg

Now I've just gotta figure out how I want to control the column. The drop doesn't grab it firmly or have enough contact area to do this so it needs a second point of control or a sleeve that's firmly mounted behind it somewhere. Here I'm toying with the clamp off the tube and some angle iron.

20171202_161156.jpg 20171202_161208.jpg

I picked up three little resin sheds that I set up in the driveway. They're about 30 cubic feet each and so far I've got a bunch of stuff that was taking up space in the shop or the driveway neatly stowed away and DRY. I also deposited 2 engines and a transmission in there that were sitting in the front of my shop squarely in my way. This is an improvement for sure. I would have been smart to reinforce the floors before I loaded in but I was running out of daylight. The resin floor was visibly buckling under the casters of the banger setup I rolled into one of them. The other one took a flathead block on a dolly with no signs of stress though.

Guys living in HOA neighborhoods and/or having nosy neighbors may want to take note. I did this so I can store heavy stuff that's too difficult to get across the lawn and into the shed out back and also keep other items that don't get used often in the shop more handy.
    [​IMG]
    I got mine on Amazon for about half MSRP. Here's the details if you're interested: Suncast BMS2500 Horizontal Storage Shed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H6PEA6/

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Stogy, Shaun1162 and tomschev2 like this.
  9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, here we are in the beginning of February and I haven't gotten anywhere. Between the holidays, the cold, the snow, the broken snowblower, the broken truck (I had to get a new one) and just plain ol lazy has impeded any progress.

In the interest of actually making progress, I'm still trying to figure out my steering column and mount. If I had some nice insert bearings that would fit nicely in the F1 tube I would be ahead of the game. I've been shopping for that to no avail so far.

Any suggestions?

If I don't find something very soon I'm just going to throw money at it and have Speedway make me a custom length one and move on.

Speaking of them, I saw this bracket they make for their Kit T and I'm wondering if it or a rig like it would be useful to me in my wacky steering setup.

Anybody use one of these Speedway Tribute T Steering Column Mounts? I'm not sure I understand how it is meant to be used or if I could use it or if I should make something LIKE it:

[​IMG]

10. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

schedule 40 pipe and wheelbarrow wheel bearings. The right size pipe, they press right in. All available at home depot/lowes. .75" shaft slides right through. A few shaft collars holds it in place.

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

THANKS! You're a lifesaver! So, shaft collar on the outside to put pressure on the bearing?

I haven't found any tube shims yet and I'm not sure what the exact ID of the column tube I'm working with is (the OD is 1-3/4" though). Bearings seem to run 1-3/8" OD which seems to be a fit for 1-1/4 inch schedule 40.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

If you don't have calipers to measure the tube, run down to Harbor Freight and get some imported ones or get them off ebay. Digital, dial, vernier, they're cheap and indispensable.

patmanta likes this.
  13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yes they are indeed! I have a set that I haven't lost yet.

I ordered a bunch of bearings since none of the stores by me (on the way home) had them in stock. Home Despot has them but that'll be a morning trip tomorrow, there's no getting there with the Friday traffic going North.

I found some assorted goodies on Amazon that I'm going to play around with:
    • Joes Racing 13003 1-3/4" to 1-5/8" Reducer Bushing
    • RBC Heim Ball Bearing RF122616 Flanged, 0.750" Bore, 1.625" OD, 0.500" Width
    • Climax Metal H1C-075 Shaft Collar, One Piece, Black Oxide Finish, Steel, 3/4" Bore, 1-3/4" OD, 1/2 Width, With 5/16-18 x 1/4 Clamp Screw
    • Nice Ball Bearing 1635DS Double Shielded, 52100 Bearing Quality Steel, 0.7500" Bore x 1.7500" OD x 0.5000" Width
    • NTN Bearing R12ZZ Single Row Deep Groove Radial Ball Bearing, Normal Clearance, Steel Cage, 3/4" Bore ID, 1-5/8" OD, 7/16" Width, Double Shielded
    • Emgo Muffler Reducer 80-47310
    • Stens 215-046 3/4" x 1 3/8" Wheel Bearing
    • 1-3/4" Bore Single Split Shaft Collar Black Oxide Set Screw Style (2 PCS)

14. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

For bonus points weld a fence post cap on the top. A 3-4” one bells nicely to a steering wheel. Shaft collar keeps flange bearings retained.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

patmanta and wheeldog57 like this.
  15. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

[​IMG]
    The flat plate bolts to the firewall. The steering column passes through the two pinch clamps, then through the largest hole, and the firewall.

patmanta likes this.
  16. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

The killbillet forum has a good thread: the "$20 steering column."
    Instructions and some part numbers. Even available on Amazon! Note that the products are listed as 3/4 x XX, but the specs show actual bore is 0.80, an ideal slip-fit for your 3/4" shaft.

patmanta likes this.
  17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

When I was on my Amazon shopping spree, I saw some nice exhaust flanges in a few different shapes that I thought might make nice end bells for a steering column. I didn't get to the store this weekend but most all of the bits and bobs I ordered should be here by today. I'm planning to tinker around a bit and see if I can come up with a working column.

[​IMG]

Then I can drive myself crazy trying to figure out the drop and rear retainer situation, which leads me back to this thing. I wish I could see a drawing of it to see if it would fit my application/needs because it would certainly save me a lot of time. I figure I'm going to have to make my own take on this kind of rig regardless though because of the gymnastics my shafts do to get around the engine and to a comfortable end position.

Ok, yeah, that's what I was thinking; it's just a little abstract not being able to find pictures of one installed. I like the idea of this bracket a lot.

I haven't checked in over there in a while. That forum seems to have died down quite a bit. It's a shame because there was a lot of crafty low-buck tech jewels in the rough popping up there.

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Ok, did some tinkering last night. Out of all the stuff I gathered, only the Stens 215-046 3/4" x 1 3/8" Wheel Bearing fit inside the old Ford tubes AND slid over the shaft easily. The other bearings I got would fit larger tubings I have sitting around (16ga 1-3/4 & 1-5/8 exhaust) but are not oversize for the shaft.

Nobody seems to make a reducer bushing that thin, so I'm going to roll my own out of 22ga or 24ga for a snug, centers fit because I'm overly anal about stuff like that (which you would not guess from the state of my car and shop). The difference between the Old Ford 1-1/2" steering column tubes I have (ID) and the mower bearing OD is 1/16" (0.0625") and 22ga is half that, so it should be perfect. 24ga is 0.025" so that will be my backup if I need a little slack in there.

@Third DodgeBrother here is that post on KB for the $20 steering column that has all the part numbers.

Stogy and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  19. Speedway says That bracket fits their tribute T body only.
    You can make it do whatever you want with it but it is installed in these pics.
    If your imagination is good, you can see how the bracket points the column right at the 4" raised corvair box.
    image.png
    image.png

patmanta likes this.
  20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Thanks @31Vicky with a hemi
    I couldn't find a pic anywhere!

I'll be getting back on the steering issue soon. My shop got so clotted up that I couldn't really work anymore so I've been tearing everything off the walls and getting the floors cleared in order to reorganize.

I bought a ton of this Wall Control stuff off Amazon and installed half of it over the weekend. The plan is to get my tools out of drawers, off of the counters, and up on the walls where I can see them. I feel like I spend half my day looking for tools and the drawers don't help much.

received_10154973051767003.jpeg
    received_10154976033132003.jpeg

I picked up some heavy duty stacking bins too. I haven't decided if I'm going to use them for big tools or my scrap/drops or get more & do both. I may get more casters and make dollies for them to slide under the bench.

I also freed up a window I had covered so I can spy on my dog.

20180218_142313.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    brEad and Stogy like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

And when you are done there will you be up to a working vacation in Nevada? My shop is 24X24 and waist deep. Then theres the attached 24X36 shed,. Its heaped shoulder high. All available wall surface is covered with hanging crap. All projects buried. Then there are the outside piles.:eek::(

22. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Haha, there's another thread on here where the guy wanted his new garage to look used and cool. That happens way too fast if you ask me, lol.

Looks like you're making great improvements. It's time well spent, stay after it. It's not enough to have a place for everything, you have to keep taking the time to put things back in their places. That's the hard part. I'm starting to get a little better at it, but hate to take time off the project to put things away.

That bright metal will make the shop a lot more light inside than the old blue/grey paint. White or yellow paint everywhere there's no metal will help too. Surprising how much brighter a shop gets if you just paint the big stationary tools yellow.

Stogy and patmanta like this.
  23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You've made the mistake of using your work space as storage space! I have learned that is a mistake and I have been trying to evict all the parts that I know I won't use on the build to the shed, the new storage bins in my driveway, or my basement. That way I can keep the clutter down and have room for the stuff I need or just want to play with. Shop arrangement, planning, and maintenance is a huge part of getting cars done (as I have learned the hard way).

Sounds like you need an actual storage shed for cold storage. I did REALLY WELL with the smaller sheds (back in post #578) that I put in my driveway. I've got a few engines in them along with all sorts of awkward big treasures. They're great for stuff I don't need IN the shop but still either want close by or is too heavy to get out to the shed over the lawn.

Yeah, I painted the other bay when I got the place but never finished painting this side. The galvanized will certainly help. Good lighting makes things A LOT easier in the shop and I've been chasing it for years. I've got 3 more 48" LED fixtures to get mounted in the front half of the shop where light is the worst.

Painting the stationary stuff yellow is something I had never thought of, thanks for the tip!

24. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I had a buddy with a hydraulic repair shop. He built several big tools for straightening shafts, honing cylinders etc. Painted them all bright yellow. It was amazing how much brighter his shop was just from those tools.
    I used to build aluminum boats and had enough metal when I closed the business to build at least one more. It needed dry storage to stop corrosion between sheets that are stacked together, so I hung it on one wall of my shop up high. 5' x 25' of aluminum makes a big bright reflector.

brEad and patmanta like this.
  25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Homestead 13 076 (Medium).JPG
    Trying to keep the bench cleared off is hopeless, but i'm getting better.

brEad and patmanta like this.
  26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Once I mitigate the clutter, dim light, and bad feng shui, next on my list is finding a good way to deal with the ferrous dust that gets kicked up. It's gotten to be a bit hazardous in there with metal splinters and dust all over the shop. I find myself wishing for a big electromagnet with a drop bucket under it but I don't know enough about making them to want to fool with it so i'll probably just get one ot two of those "shop air filter" rigs. I already burned up a box fan filter.

Somewhere in there I will work on actually building a car again.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  27. Electro Magnet is easy. If you can build a car you can build an electroMagnet.
    No need for the mill but it does make it nice and quick
    Here's 2 versions.
    This guy has a really good channel.

Tim_with_a_T, bct and patmanta like this.
  28. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedway builds a couple different styles in that type of bracket. They list them for their T buckets. They build them with the tube at different angles. You can mount the plate side to the floor or firewall. Worked well on my coupe. Good luck on the build.

patmanta likes this.
  29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Thanks!

Part of the issue, at least with their floor brackets, is that I have a U joint at the end of the column and INSIDE the cowl, a few inches back from the firewall. So everything is wonky {:\

I'm pretty amazed at how hard it is to find simple hardware to hold a 1.5" pipe. Utterly astonished, actually. Even finding a 1.5" P bracket isn't all that easy.

I'd be elated to find some of those collar clamps like they use on that bracket.

30. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Part of the fun I guess. Some parts of the build that you think are gonna be easy turn into frustration. But like they say if it was easy everybody would have one. Keep grinding!

patmanta likes this.