Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Door Glass Replacement 1955 Ford Customline

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by customline3859, Feb 1, 2018.

1. customline3859

customline3859

Hello all. I was hoping for some technical assistance with door glass removal and installation on my Customline. I have the door panels removed, but I'm just not sure how the glass comes out of the track. I was unable to find much help on youtube. Do I need to remove the vent windows first? Thanks in advance.

David

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Its been awhile,
    With the door panel and window frame off, wind the window down until you see the window hit the window stop, the stop is screwed or bolted in place. Remove it and don't lose it. The window will now crank below the track and the wheel should come out of the track, keep your hand on the window as it will drop to the bottom of the door and will break.
    You should now be able to rotate the window 90 degrees and shove the glass up through the door.
    If I remember right....

3. Typo41 is right. I have a '55 that my parents bought new, the method he describes is what I did when I replaced a door glass on mine. One suggestion that might be helpful is an old towel or two rolled up down in the bottom of the door for the glass to land on if it slips out of your grip.

Mr48chev likes this.
  4. You need to lower the glass as stated after removing the lower glass stop. However, the vent window needs to be tilted inward. Give me your email address through a private message and I can send you a screenshot of the shop manual. Also visit hotrodreverend.com for some more info

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. customline3859

customline3859

Awesome. Thank you for the info.

6. evintho

evintho

Very nice write-up, danman55! '1955 Ford part #37: Door vent window assemblies and door glass' for those searching 'hotrodreverend.com'. I'll be referring to this when installing my glass!

danman55 likes this.