Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods anyone have a problem with BUBBAS IGNITION?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy12, Nov 3, 2017.

1. This is why I learned how to build and fix my own distributors - Tick Tock.

46international and 6inarow like this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just wanna try some hot sauce...maybe we could trade Bubba. My wife and I make our own 'special blend'.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

loudbang, Stogy and rust runner like this.
  4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Nothing but thumbs up for Bubba from me .

ROCKER77, Stogy and 6inarow like this.
  5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

It will ship ups tomorrow ( too late today). Even at five months aint it pretty ??I threw in a wire set of solid core and some rajah wire ends for your trouble....Need anything else ???? IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2301.JPG

6. I would not do business with anyone else. He special built a HEI small cap distributor for my Vortec 4.3. Sorry for your problem but I'll bet it will be made right.
    He is quality at its best.
    dirt t

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yes, looks great, I’m glad to see it. Thank you for your hard work and expertise! I guess it has the points set, ready to drop-in? I don’t know much about this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Nice to see that Charlie Brown's is still around. Has to be one of the all time great racer hangouts.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Threads like this sometimes really get to me. I don't know Jim but have a buddy who's had his 16 cylinder Riley distributor rebuilt for his Roof equipped flatty, with excellent results. The way I see it is that this isn't Autozone, want it now, get it now stuff - sometimes patience and understanding is required. Nobody's irreplaceable but it's clear to me that Jim shares his extensive knowledge and experience freely and is more than worthy of support, not criticism, but sometime stuff gets in the way, that's life.

Chris

10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Just install it , wire up the correct firing order and run it like it is. Everything is set and adjusted ready to go. You will need a coil and install a couple set screws in your front cover......let me know if ya need some help there as well...

11. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

BUBBA has quoted some rebuilds for me and for the price the service should be top notch. As a business owner I understand his price and being overwhelmed. That is when you have to expand and train others in what you do. Buy more tools, machines and organize/plan to the tee. Getting a bad name can happen overnight. Building a business that has a "busy as hell" problem takes forever to make.

loudbang likes this.
  12. 6inarow

6inarow

I wish I had said this. Right On Happydaze

13. blackbeard40

blackbeard40
    from Maryland

I converted a crab points distributor in 34 Ford pickup to a Pertronix setup a few years ago. It did not run very well. I called Jim and he said send it to me to take a look at. I did and a few weeks later it came back cleaned up painted and looked like new. It still did not run well. Called Jim again and he said send it back and I'll put it on the machine again. He asked about the Pertronix coil and wires being used. I ended up buying a coil from him that was made in the USA with correct OHMs and a set of wires from Speedway. Problem solved. Jim is a stand up guy who works with you until your problem is fixed

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and dwollam like this.
  14. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I did do it myself and it works great. Welded on plate on to of 8BA front cover and a second plate bolts to it for the distributor hold down. Then machined a Chevy distributor housing and shaft to 8BA distributor specs plus used Ford drive gear. Mock up is a junk distributor and final is a new small case HEI. Used 59AB spark plug wire looms rather than the 8BA rats nest set up.
    IMG_4094.JPG IMG_4089.JPG

loudbang and bobwop like this.
  15. Jim is a friend I never met. He has done a couple of distributors for me. A SBC and a Nailhead. Both top notch.

On special days I use his hot sauce on scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy. Have to ration it out as I am down to half a bottle and I don't need another distributor right now.

16. Rand Man

Rand Man

Okay, I’m ready to install the Chevy Mallory in my 8ba flathead Ford. I think I realize now what you meant by set screws. Suppose I should go buy two, self- tapping, #10 machine screws and a drill bit. Any tips on this? I guess it’s self explanatory. Just put a paper towel in the hole for shavings. Not sure if there’s anything special about where I place the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Typically we use two 8/32 allen head bolts with a lock nut. Stick a rag in cover ( assuming its on the engine) and suck shavings out with shop vac. The cover has a thick spot on it and drill the holes there. (One would more than likely work very well. The distributor has no torque on it as it drives nothing like a oil pump etc).

loudbang likes this.
  18. oldtymehiboy

oldtymehiboy
    from Indiana

Just saw and read these posts. Please take My Word on this.
    Remember when a deal was a deal. Secured by a Hand Shake and a Man's Word.
    Well, when You deal with Jim Linder, You can except this.
    He is a Man of extreme integrity, 110% honest and a Perfectionist.
    When he said he moved. He did in fact move.
    Busy - Yes. Why ?
    Because He's Very Good at what he does !
    Sometimes our shipping companies just get overloaded and make a mistake.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have purchased about 10 or so Distributors a few have been other than run of the mill applications, Blown Ford crab or specific mechanical advance ETC... the rest just Flat Head Fords or Sbc’s but all have been nicely done. A couple have taken a while but I knew that could happen going in. I will buy from Jim again in a heartbeat when I need one.

loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  20. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

I just looked this up. I am two months in and still waiting for my mag.
    I hope it is worth the wait. I’m ok if it takes a while. I would prefer Jim to just be up front with how long it will really take. I am ready to finish my motor and need my mag to complete the rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

21. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I guess this thread is never going to die , but there are more positives than negatives so i dont feel bad at all.
    My latest report is that i finally have moved out of my last storage building and closed the Fuel Injection and Training business. Actually that took approx three years to get that job done. I wrote my last business work order and backed up the accounting and trashed the computer. Wrote 62,000 work orders on that one computer!!! Have moved the ignition service to my house and am hand writing work orders like i started out. Been fighting a pinched nerve in my back (MRI this friday) and only work a few hours each day with my part timer of 20 years Terry. I have orders and am running behind like usual , however be patient as i will get them all done and shipped !! Check out website for ordering info at www.bubbasignition.com.
    I do have a new smart phone that is only on when i am in the shop , i do a terrible job of answering the phone and messages, my best form of communication is here with a pm or use my regular email at [email protected].

big duece and Moriarity like this.
  22. Jim, progress can at times seem slow but you are doing well and glad to see you are back at work in the shop albeit on a part time basis with that nagging nerve issue. Been there as many of us have here on the forum.....perhaps indicative of our "senior years" or as we commonly call them these days the "rusted years".:eek::eek::D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Now about this hot sauce...?

24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Actually i ordered 120 bottles yesterday, when i get it we will make up a new label ( every year we do a different label -the first one was Hill Climbing Hot Shit. Had a 40 Ford doing a burnout going up a hill). Some have collected and have them all . Its good stuff for sure......

big duece likes this.
  25. Be glad there is someone around to do this because i remember towing more than a few vehicles home because of distributor issues! And it was some big company you can rest assured they would be robbing you of the $$$$$!