Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Hollander

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Apachegail, Jan 31, 2018.

1. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I have a trusty Hollander Interchange manual and have issues finding part numbers. Maybe one of the pros can help. I have the concept down of searching for my year, make and model at the beginning of the section. The problem comes up after I look for the reference number that is listed.

Here is an example:

I am looking in the shock section for front shocks for a 1959 1/2 ton so it is an “other” and listed as 30.

[​IMG]

When I browse 30 it shows that 1959 1/2 ton front but does not show a part number

[​IMG]

I know I have front shocks so what does that mean? Should I look at the previous numerical listings or does this manual not know what the original part numbers were?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

What the 30 shows you is the different vehicles that use the same shock, so if it lists only your truck then that's it, no other shocks interchange.

Example: look up shocks for say a 68 Chevelle and you will get a big list of other vehicles that use that same shock.

As far as part numbers I don't think any of the older ones had part numbers. My 60 to 73` 39th edition doesn't anyway.

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Btw, just asking but you understand that the hollander was basically for salvage yards. That way when you called and needed a part for your vehicle they could look it up and see if they had that same part but on a different cars that would interchange with your vehicle. I assume that's why hollander doesn't list part numbers.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't find my Hollanders right now as I have a lot of my books packed away. The guys are right in that the Hollanders is primarily for wrecking yard use and primarily for finding what other vehicle has the same part you are looking for.
    I looked on O'Reilly' and they only have the "rare parts" shocks with far too high of a price tag.
    Classic parts has fronts for 29.95 Each and that is an honest price https://www.classicparts.com/1957-59-Shock-AbsorberFront/productinfo/74-625/

If you can find the old Monroe part number you can probably cross it easy enough.

5. squirrel

squirrel

My old shock catalog is in the shop, and I just went into the house for the night. Maybe I'll see this thread in the morning and look it up, if no one else gets to it sooner.

6. rudestude

rudestude

This is from the 29th edition Hollander book....it's the application chart and the interchange chart also if your wanting original GM part numbers you can find them in a shop manual that has the flat rate pages they give the part numbers all of mine are pre 54 so I couldn't help you there...[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. squirrel

squirrel

31000 front
    31094 rear

8. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks for the info all, I really appreciate it! I didn’t realize this was for wrecking yards but now that I think about it, it makes sense.

The back story is I found a nice NOS set of shocks for a chevelle and remembered lots of parts interchanged with the “truck”. After getting the numbers from Jim it looks like the “truck” listed is actually the El Camino.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. on shocks if you call the manufacture they usually have the specs and can give you numbers that interchange, done this a bunch of times!

10. Yep...keep pushing those flat rate manuals....they have most all part #'s.....and you can check a year or two back...or a year or two forward to see if they kept the same part.....and just FYI...they usually covered about 6 to 8 years...