Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

not only a Good Guy but a Good friend

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And boy could he bring people together!

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must be FEDCO, for you who remember them, and we might just have a problem.

4. Posted before, but a forgotten deal.
    Mickey Mantle tires!
    If you don't know who Mantle was.......!
    [​IMG]

5. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Great to see you back Gary!

Thanks for everything that you do

Bobby

6. swi66

swi66

7. I think it has the same basic airframe as the KC97 tankers.

8. loudbang

loudbang

9. loudbang

loudbang

Edsel Sales Team

edsel team.JPG

First purpose built wheelstander???

first wheelstander.JPG

Lots and lots of Fords
    fords.JPG

Frank Rieson Pontiac

frank rierson pont.JPG

Full Service days

full servbice.JPG

10. loudbang

loudbang

Different supercharger?

1 supercharger ...........JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13 pipes indc.JPG

14.JPG

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

12. I didn't know that the Clipper had Jet Pods that were installed on the KC 97 to keep up with the jet aircraft during refueling op's.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Nice pictures Rootie.

Especially good picture of George Amick.

Speedwrench likes this.
  14. Please note I was referring to the model that was pictured on a table (that has been removed, I think) not the picture of The "Clipper" that was posted.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-2-2_7-25-31.png
    Hello,

In 1964, we stayed in that resort hotel. It was located in Squaw Valley ski area in the Lake Tahoe area of CA. The scene played out in a very similar fashion as our 60’s cars were covered by nightly snow storms. The neat thing about it was being near to the slopes and ski runs. We had been skiing for a couple of years and our abilities were behind our love of skiing all types of runs. Just like surfing, the more unusual the waves, the better the ride.

So, some local we met told us that the “best” run on the nearby mountain was the Eagle’s Nest slope. So, we said that is cool and in the morning, hopped up in the lift to get to the top. When we got there, the slope was a little ways away from the lift, so we had to walk in fresh powder. What a sight… upon arriving at the start of the run, we were the first to get here, so it was fresh powder.

upload_2018-2-2_7-26-4.png upload_2018-2-2_7-26-26.png 60'S SQUAW VALLEY
    The powder was about 3-4 feet deep in the deepest spots and needless to say, we were laying back and keeping our tips up all the way down. There were a couple of times I fell over on a turn and got covered over my head in powder snow. The run was steep and later we found out it is the steepest run on the whole mountain. But, as teenagers with some athletic and skiing experience, it was a challenge and we are still alive.

Jnaki
    For a bunch of So Cal boys, this was Winter skiing and Winter weather.

"The 1960 Olympic Winter Games brought commerce and infrastructure to the Lake Tahoe Area, turning a former summer vacation town into a renowned winter destination and transforming Squaw Valley, a small ski mountain with one chairlift and lodging for fifty, into a world-class ski resort. Since 1960, Squaw Valley has continued to thrive and is consistently ranked among the world’s top resorts.

It’s the most prominent feature of Squaw Valley. Looming right next to the top of KT-22 is Eagles’ Nest. Now it shall forever be known as McConkey’s. The trail maps have been rewritten! It’s a super cool tribute to the Squaw Valley legend who tragically passed away last March.

McConkey called Eagles’ Nest the perfect training ground for the backcountry big mountain stage. McConkey’s — renamed from Eagle’s Nest after the late legend passed away in a BASE jumping accident. McConkey’s requires a short hike, a tight chute, and pro-level skills to navigate the two mandatory airs and high consequence exposure."

16. joemac05

joemac05

Rootie,
    This is interesting, anyone know the story... I suppose it's Porsche engine.

[​IMG]

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Truly a weird car. Twin motors, 4WD

1966 Bill Cheesebourg

loudbang and Speedwrench like this.
  18. Samj

Samj

loudbang likes this.
  19. Old and Slow

Old and Slow

20. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

A great photo of the two Zink cars in 1956. The #53 is the winning Sweikert car from the previous year and this year has Troy Ruttman as the driver. It looks like Zink and Moore are both in discussion with Troy. Meanwhile you can just make out what looks to be Pat Flaherty with his arms crossed while leaning against the new Zink Watson roadster which ended up winning both the Pole and the 500. This looks like one of those early morning photos where everyone is waiting for the green light to come on at 9:00 AM so they can start Practice. And the dirt car up front with the Rookie Stripes kind of confirms this as new drivers were always encouraged to try to take their Rookie Tests early in the day when the track generally wasn't as crowded.

Thank you, Rootie.

21. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

That's Bill Cheesbourg at Indianapolis in 1966 in the twin engined Porsche. This car was actually inspired by the 1946 Fageol twin engined car that Paul Russo qualified for the front row. A guy named Al Stein was the builder of the Porsche and he had grown up with his father working for Fageol and hearing all of the stories about the Russo car. Here's some background on both cars.

https://jalopnik.com/the-craziest-twin-engined-racing-cars-were-made-by-a-bu-1683914079

22. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

If they only knew ..........

[​IMG]

23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!!!!-------Gonna' trade it in for a large station wagon!!!!!!!!

24. garage2small

garage2small

Summer 1967 stationed at Fallon Naval Air Station, I used to put the hammer down on this 1960 Mercury on Hwy US 50 between Fallon and Reno. No speed limits, no seat belts, no fear! 2 1960 Mercury Parklane.JPG

25. philo426

philo426

Yes it was my model pictured.The mods removed it because it is not a vintage shot.The airliners did not have the jet engines.I was going to do the Air Force version but changed my mind at the last minute.I did not want to risk damaging the model if I removed the engines so I left them on.

26. olio mattore

olio mattore

27. It is REALLY a cool model, wish I had it.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. GeeRam

GeeRam

Nope, has to be a 377 Stratocrusier, as in Pan Am Clipper livery.

KC-97 was military air-tanker/freighter version.

Still trying to work out what the car is though, think its an Opel....?

loudbang likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.