Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driveshaft too short?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kid Jeff, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

I have a 1953 Chevy 3100 pickup that I am in the process of putting back together after a 350 engine, th400, and 8.5" 10 bolt swap. The driveshaft I have looks to be too short. when I insert the yoke into the transmission and then pull it out to bolt to the rear axle, there is two inches of the yoke shaft showing instead of the 3/4"-1" there is supposed to be. Is this wrong?
    Can someone explain to me why replacing the yoke with a longer yoke wouldn't work instead of having the driveshaft lengthened? Or can I? I am trying to get some knowledge on the subject so I am hoping someone can explain this to me. Not trying to sound dumb or start an argument. Just hoping someone can explain this unfamiliar territory to me.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    -Jeff

2. If you can find a longer yolk the proper length that should work just fine.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you measure this with your car on the ground or suspension hanging?

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

I measured it with the car on the ground. My driveshaft is 52.5" center to center and I need 53.5".

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In that case Beaner is probably right on target.

6. I guess good don't I. :D

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I seem to recall there is a turbo 400 yoke with an extended spline section, not positive.
    The last turbo 400 yoke I bought new was about $105 some years back.
    If you pulled it back more than one inch after seated you could have vibration issues.
    Not worth the savings.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Around here you can get a driveshaft built for about that price ( a little more).

Sometimes if you know what to look for you can find a rear yolk that is a little longer. I guess you could make up the difference if you went to a velocity joint. :)

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember adding a turbo 400 tail bushing to a M21 Muncie because the 400 had a longer bushing in them?
    That was a long time ago, I could be full of gas. I thought the longer busing would support the yoke better o_O

10. seems like we used to do that. so maybe we are both full of gas

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe you had an M22 and didn't know it?, but I doubt it.
    My M20 output shaft (same as M21) is 1&3/16" diameter, my Richmond Super T-10 output shaft (same as T-400) is 1&3/8" diameter.

12. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Hate to admit it but I have about the same thing going on with the drive shaft in my 46 pu.Had a custom drive shaft made up by a local custom shop.Measured and gave them the exact dimensions they asked for.Picked it up and installed it in my truck after it was finished and ended with about the same amount short as what you have.I told them it was to short and they told me I gave them the wrong numbers and wouldn't do anything about it.Was pissed and figured I would use it and see if I would have any issues.Been in the truck and probably have about 5000 miles on it with out any issues.I thought about finding the same yoke and cut and welding a longer segment on for more engagement.Another shop quoted me around $200 to lengthen the drive shaft another inch.

Von Brush likes this.
  13. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Thank you everyone for the great replies! Much Appreciated!

Yeah burl that is about the same price I was quoted to lengthen my driveshaft an inch. They told me it would start at $225 to lengthen. I have found a couple different yolks that seem like they would work. One is 1" longer and the other is 1.5" longer than what I already have. The 1" longer would give me 3" in the transmission and the 1.5" longer would give me 4.5" in the transmission. The truck is lowered quite a bit so there isn't a lot of suspension travel.

Does anyone know if there is an ideal measurement amount that should be in the transmission?

14. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

once again,don't be afraid to get outside your comfort zone!!Look at any of the major circle track shops and they have yokes in several different lengths.The current chassis set-up thats popular involves a lot of wheelbase change during body roll so many different yokes can be found to cure your problem

LM14 likes this.
  15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Mid 80`s Chev. P/U`s with TH400 used a rather long yoke

16. ...probly cheaper to get another longer shaft and have it shortened, easier than making one longer...but the longer yoke should be fine.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look under Circle Track suppliers. We all use them because of rear end movement. Both large T400 style and the smaller Saginaw style depending on your need. Amazon probably sells them now. I think they have them up to 9-10" . Good luck.

18. greybeard360

greybeard360

I am confused.... We talking about eggs or driveshafts??

Yolk... Yoke

Eggs have yolks.

Driveshafts have yokes.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2" of driveshaft exposed instead of 1"? As others have said it should be fine. And where's the harm in trying anyway, as long as it's not a really short yoke that might drop out!

I have a 41 Chevy coupe, with previously installed 350/350/10 bolt. The rear had been moved back in a poorly executed attempt to center in the rear wheel in the arch, and it was still a long way out. I moved it back further to center it properly and this resulted in about 2" of stickout from the previous 1" or so. Runs great, no issues. I think the pinion angle change under power would cause more additional pull out than full droop would - my springs are new and don't wrap up much.

Chris

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes
    I figured there'd be more chicken jokes by now, you guys aren't carrying your weight!

Engine man likes this.
  22. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Oh what the shell...It cracked me up............

23. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Thank you for all the help everyone! I appreciate all the great responses. I found a yoke that is longer than what I have and will put it back to the original/proper length in the transmission. I will go this route and see how it goes. Much appreciated!
    -Jeff

Montana1 likes this.
  24. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Well then...This thread is over easy........................

Gotgas and Terrible80 like this.
  25. Nope I just can't spell worth a flip.:oops::p:D

Problem with drive shaft too short is that it is hard to cut it off longer. If I can get to a lath with a steady rest I just cut my own, if not I know where there is a driveshaft shop. All they do is build driveshafts.

26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The problem with running the 8" yokes that dirt racers use is they sometimes don't have enough spline on the output shaft. On our Brinn transmissions we sometimes had to pull the tailshaft and turn it down slightly in front of the splined section to get the yoke more travel forward. Also, don't be afraid to use the longer yoke but cut the front down to just get as much as you need. A slight chamfer on the inner and outer surfaces after cutting is a must. Another thing to look for is some of the OEM longer yokes do not have splines cut their full length internally. The last 1 to 1.5 inches is sometimes never machined from the factory. Used to run into that before the aftermarket stepped up with the long yokes.

SPark

27. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Does anyone know if there is an ideal measurement amount that should be in the transmission sitting at ride height? Or an amount that would be considered normal/safe?

28. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

You want an egg-zact measurement????

29. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I expected short shaft jokes. I've never had a problem with my shaft being too short. Seems that it's always too long.