Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thoughts on $1800.00 repop 33-34 front fenders

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Vics stuff, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Just was curious thoughts on $1800.00 SAR released 33 - 34 Ford pair steel front fenders . They claim that these are exact to originals , fender to running board reinforcement plate , fender wire bead and all correct located holes and are epdm paint coated .$1800.00 seems a bit high but wanted some input.
    Vic

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Preikster likes this.
  2. Steel repop parts for a model 40 are higher than a cats back. If I recall there is one company that actually has bought the rights from FoMoCo to repop exact replicas. Between R&D and the cost from Ford that is going to drive the price up.

That is way more than I would want to spend for them but it is probably a fair price.

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I think its reasonable.

4. There is a company in Ohio that was stamping these out also , but have experienced some financial difficulties. They may never get back to repoping these .
    Vic

surfgeezer likes this.

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I have a full set I bought 6 years ago from SAR, they're great! And were less expensive, these new ones are no doubt awesome fenders.

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The price is high.......but have you paid a skilled metal man to straighten out a set of genuine 84 year old fenders that you paid hundreds of dollar for lately? I have never bought any SAR parts, but from what I have seen of their work I would think the fenders are worth the money.IMHO.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

At body shop rates today + materials + cost of original fenders in 2 days you could by the fenders and you would be way ahead. Frank

metlmunchr and Hnstray like this.
  8. That is what I am leaning towards. Just would hate to buy a pair and not fit well.
    Just concerned without actually putting my hands on a pair.
    Vic

9. I bought Steve's 34 quarters, decklid, subrails and panel below the decklid, inner and outer. The fit was right-on. Yeah, the new parts are expensive to buy but in the long run I believe they were actually cheaper than repairing my old crusty junk and I don't have to worry about bondo popping off , sanding scratches showing up when the paint/primer/filler shrinks and all the problems that come with patching up old crap.

Hnstray and lurker mick like this.
  10. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Can't help with any info on the new ones but there are a left and right front fender listed individually in the classifieds. They are originals not re pops. Not sure of the condition other than the pics.

11. As I stated before about the new UPC 1932-34 truck doors, if you have to buy rough sheet metal, and pay for good / excellent body work, buy the new sheet metal, and be dollars, and time ahead.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As soon as the Nova sells (plug) I am buying a pair and putting them in the attic in case I ever fender my car.

I saw the experimental set going on one of their real deal roadsters in the shop. I have SAR inner fenders on my car. I threw away the cheap ones I bought on line after spending way too many hours trying to fit them. They make nice stuff out there. Great shop to visit if you are in the area.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. I don't think that's bad. Nice originals bring that if/when you ever see them for sale.

14. Squablow

Squablow

IMG_5801.JPG
    This pair came with my '34 project, and I found a pretty nice RH used one at the Iola swap meet for $140 because the end where it attaches to the running boards was all hacked up, which is like the only good part of my other RH fender (shown above), so I should be able to stitch one good pair together with what I have here.

I like to use original steel wherever possible, but if I had to pay someone to do the work, $1800 probably isn't that bad. Definitely still better than going fiberglass. Plus, although I've never had any of SAR's products, I have only heard good things about them, everyone I've asked says they have top notch shit.

15. Chris and nickthebandit you are correct. Just am concerned of the fit. I can straiten damaged fenders , but as mentioned ones time needs to be accountable.
    Vic

16. squablow I always try to used genie sheet metal but , a while back bought some rear body corners from SAR and they were real nice and expensive .
    Vic

Squablow likes this.
  17. I think the Drake '36 rears were priced at 1500.00 so SAR's 33/34 fronts don't seem bad. Now that I think of it, I think the Drakes are overpriced.....

18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

makes a change not to hear bitchin about offshore low quality ill fitting crap.should be glad the parts are available.you have to pay for quality

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put some repop fenders on a build I finished last year, but they were aquired several years ago. They fit like socks on a chicken. Once aligned and ready to fit to the boards the fit was nothing short of silly. About 1" radius on the fender, about a 1/2" radius on the board. All the work aside these things were so light and flimsy I could curl them up and down with 2 fingers. Yes, 2 fingers. The metal was .028-.030. Surely they WERE NOT SAR fenders. Likely some import that I'd never use on another. FWIW, the original metal on the fenders I'm used to is closer to .045-.050. My Duesy project has OG fenders that are nearly .070 (!), and I bought metal the same gauge to repair. I'd bet the SAR stuff is cheap compared to restoring as has been said above. Your results may vary, blah, blah, blah....

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^ Highlander, those may have been the 'other," early 34 steel fender repros sold by Mac's and others. I've read that one side fits better than the other. I seem to recall they were from Gaslight Auto?

I'd certainly trust that just about anything Model 40 done by SAR is a safe bet/investment on a build.

21. Is that $1800 each, or for a pair?

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reread the original post, this time, carefully.

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I paid 14 for a pair of steel Brookfield rears for a 32 .....your fronts are much more detailed......

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I can’t get that vision of trying to put socks on a chicken out of my head.....

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  25. Dirk35

Dirk35

I have a 34 that had fiberglass front fenders, and I wanted to change over to steel. I researched this over and over for about the past 7-10 years while also looking for original fenders. After researching the repo fenders, apparently there are two different producers that can stamp the 33-34 Ford Front fenders; SAR and Gas Light. From everything I read on the HAMB and a couple of other sites, they all seem to agree that the Gas Light ones are about 3/4 the price of the SAR fenders, but don't fit well and take a lot of work to fit. The SAR ones are supposed to fit great and be the best reproduction available.

About 1 year ago, I called SAR and put my name on the call list for when they did another run. I kid you not, I've really been looking for original ones here for at least the past 7 years. Around October of last year, finally found a original set that the guy was willing to work with me on shipping (Thank you Randy, "Flat Power" here on the HAMB for your help and patience). After paying for them, and giving the shipper money, I'm close to half the price for the SAR fenders. By the time I work them over, if I was to pay myself for my labor even a cheap shop rate hourly, I would be ahead to go with the SAR fenders. Also, one of my fenders is really thin after the years of surface rust, but I'm not too worried about that as Ill be taking them to have them undercoated to help prevent rock chips from making star cracks in the paint.

My opinion, The SAR ones are worth the money. But I don't regret getting these original ones as I have more time than money, and because this is my dream car, I like doing the work on it.

Here are a few posts to help you in your question.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/34-ford-fenders.647647/#post-7183923

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/32-ford-fenders.258214/#post-2740922

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636953

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/34-repop-steel-fenders-quality.636953/#post-7067312

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...rs-dont-fit-no-how.655345/page-5#post-7295731

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    5window likes this.
  26. Thanks. I scanned back up the thread, and couldn't see -pair- anywhere. After heading in the direction you sent me, I see pair.

I have 2 pair of original fronts, 2 pair of rear Victoria, and 3 sedan rears, all needing some sort of welding or bumping. If I had to pay myself or someone for the labour involved, I'd be ahead on buying spot-on fenders from SAR.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  27. 5window

5window

First line:"Just was curious thoughts on $1800.00 SAR released 33 - 34 Ford pair steel front fenders". As a person with limited sheet metal skills, I'd go for these. You also must consider how long you want spend building your car before you sit in it.

28. As some questioned the fenders . They are stamped in Taiwan , per SAR specs and quality .
    I know many hate to buy off shore parts , but as mentioned , there are no others being made . I did meet with a manufacture rep while on business in Thailand and he was from Taiwan . He knows of warehouses full of early car parts and dies that have been bought from automakers stored in these facilities.
    When chatting with him he also indicated that many of these cheap off shore parts are actually made per spec by the customer and they get the blame for cheap quality items . It boils down to the fact that these offshore companies can make and build quality items it is all about how it is specked and profit the seller is making.
    I am going to pull the trigger on a pair of fenders and see how they are .
    Vic

5window and nunattax like this.
  29. 5window

5window

Quite right on the manufacturing quality. They've got the equipment, the dies and the know how. If the seller would specify a quality level and then set the price point then we'd be ok. Instead, the Walmarts dictate the price and manufacturer has to make crap to get to that price.

30. I called SAR Friday and have paid for a pair of their new repop front fenders.
    Now working on the shipping to Reno Nevada which should not be that much.
    Vic

Johnboy34 likes this.