Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 1000 grit is way smoother than you needed.
    project looks good! go man go!

nunattax likes this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

just following the painters instructions.i think he don't thrust me with anything coarser

Leakie, TFoch and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. pila38

pila38

Go man go!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

nunattax likes this.
  4. Are you painting or the painter? If you are doing it yourself make sure you check the data sheet on the paint because you can end up with adhesion problems if you go too fine with some paint.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax and tb33anda3rd like this.
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

had a load of flies drop in the other evening.i sanded them off with 1000ended up sanding the entire fenders.wont be surprised if I have to rough them up a little
    im the sander,extra pair of hands on my job.the painter paints and applied the filler.thanks for the advice .I wont be surprised if im requested to scratch them a little before the paint goes on next week

TFoch and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. So you get to do the crap end of the job.;):D

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

exactly everyone knows the spraying is the easy bit

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

this chevy will be 80 years old this year.time its back on the road again.

Leakie likes this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hood hinge drilling jig 001.JPG hood hinge drilling jig 002.JPG hood hinge drilling jig 003.JPG hood hinge drilling jig 004.JPG weather warmed up a little today .I ventured out to the garage.when the hood was in the open position the hinge was flexing a little so I doubled up on the m5 bolts using a jig

under the hood has surface rust on it.POR15 should sort that out

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

started bringing the paintwork home today Guinness was for medicinal purposes only fenders home in blackrear 001.JPG fenders home in blackrear 002.JPG fenders home in blackrear 003.JPG

swade41, Leakie, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  11. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

Those fender stands are cool and very functional! Can you post a picture of them without the fenders on them??? Good progress!

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

glad you like them ill try to get that done in the morning for you..ive found them a great help with welding and especially with the filling.i could be sure they held their shape during alterations,saved the back as well..we had them on a bench for a while to work on the arkward bits.

pila38 likes this.
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

as promised..i used 3/4 plywood and 4x2 rough.screwed things together with 2 1/2 inch n0 10 chipboard screws,a drop of glue helps too.overall 36in high x 48 long x14in wide.try to keep the plywood in the centreto keep it balanced..i rounded the bottom corners so I could lift 1 end and move it along without the corners dragging in and tearing the corners of the ply.they have been used for 8 weeks and are holding up well.next they will be repurposed to hold a set of 34 ford wings I cut the hole out of the centre to get the dolly through to the other side of the stand. fender stands bare 002.JPG fender stands bare 003.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    pila38, Leakie and TFoch like this.
  14. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

Those are cool! thanks!

15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

etched hood sides 003.JPG etched hood sides 004.JPG the hood is the last big thing left to paint.its been too cold to stay sanding for too long at the one time.been coming and going at it.warmed up today I finished the sanding on the first hood side.there was 80 years of surface rust and dirt on there .took quite a while to sand it all offthe louvers and the linkage slows it down.so finished sanding it today and coated it with etch primer to stop it rusting.it looks much better now and I can see it needs a little bit of tweaking as well.theres a good bit of sanding left to do on the other one and another large can of etch primer needed

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

gave under the hood a good sanding and coated with POR 15.turned out great.in a few tays ill sand the shine off it and etch prime POR15 ONE 002.JPG

chryslerfan55, Leakie and TFoch like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hood half etch primed.weather is cold ,progress is slow hooh half etch primed 001.JPG

chryslerfan55, tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  18. Ah but good weather is on it's way. Nice progress!

tb33anda3rd and nunattax like this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

a bit milder would be good

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hood top2in por 001.JPG coated underside of second hood top with por 15.dont ever want to see that surface rust again

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and TFoch like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ATTACH=full]3834640[/ATTACH] made two swivel pads to sit the tyres on to .assist with the tracking and alignment.had a piece of alloy chequer plate 1/8 thick 36 x 13 inches .cut it into 4 pieces 9 x 13. turned the chequered side up and down with the smooth sides back to back.greased the smooth sides together.gave it a quick trial run and its working great.drilled some holes in the side so I can hang them from cup hooks when not in use and keep the grease clean.shouldnt get too much use hopefully but handy to have hanging on the wall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

sun came out it warmed up a bit.rubbed down the underside of hood half 1 and etch primed it.the other should get there tomorrow.primed the hood hinge halfs too hood inside etched 007.JPG

23. bubba55

bubba55

Morning to ya Chris - really good work there - I've been working on my hood too - having a hard time with the rods on the hinge halves of the hood - been working on them - spraying with oil trying to get them where I can get a drill on them - how did you get yours apart ? - Just Irish luck ehh

24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

no luck about it mike the centre hood hinge halves should slide apart.wiggle it while you slide it.much easier with some one helping you.the pins at the sides need to be drifted out with the correct size punch.when the pin moves spray plenty more wd40 on itand drift it back to where it was .wiggle itdrift it another bit.one little bit at a time..get someone to help you.we worked on a table with a sleeping bag on it to protect the sheet metal.we may have heated it a little with a blow torch easy does it.when we got the pin out we sanded it with wet and dry sandpaper sprayed plenty of oil and cleaned the rust away with a clean cloth..when the pin cleared the end of the hood put a smallvice grips on it so you can twist the pin and pull it..patience is a virtue.try to drill the back of the rivetcarefully rather than the smooth face.i light tap should drift the head out.with the hinges off you can straighten the edges of the hood aroung the holes with a hammer and dolly.will you have it done for paddys day?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

post up a picture of the hinge you are working on it might not be the same as mine

26. bubba55

bubba55

Taint computer savy - but yes I'm doing the same as you only by myself - might try to come up with some kind of jig to hold - have some wooden clamps - might try - no funds to play with right now - just all the time I have working - cold here too - just had snow yesterday - my power bill has been rather high plus propane gas to heat with gas logs -
    thanks

27. those hinges are made from a bunch of curled metal, every other one will be curled opposite, one way is one half of the hood, other is the other half. the curls are open where they come back to meet the panel. i have had luck taking a thin screw driver and prying open each curl but only enough to break the rust free, listen and watch for it to separate, you are not trying to open it, just flex it to break the rust.then spray some penetrant.

nunattax, chryslerfan55 and bubba55 like this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

29. bubba55

bubba55

Thanks - 33 & 3rd - didn't mean to highjack this thread Chris - thought I'd learn something
    Now go get busy bubba

30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

no bother mike,help yourself if its relevant to another 38 chevy pu its good for me chris