Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jim
    Glad to see some more activity on the car, another old term "we're cook'n with gas now".
    Early 70's you had to go across town to find someone that "heli-arc" welded, it was always "heli-arc" then. Now you can almost find someone that TIG welds on every block and nobody knows the term "heli-arc".
    Dying for some progress reports on the engine/drivetrain plan.

enloe likes this.
  2. racer_dave

racer_dave

I know what you mean about the robotics club. Mentored our club few years. Lots of hours, but was a wonderful experience. Car looks good so far.

57 Fargo likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

For a name for the car, how about "Watch My Back"

4. squirrel

squirrel

I'm still waiting for the front axle, hopefully it'll get done this month so I can get the frame width figured out, and get started on building the frame. The rear end....the first one had a lot of wear in the housing, where the carrier bearings ride, both sides were eaten up pretty bad. I got another one from sickhale, from a 64 Ford truck, it had only one side slightly eaten up, but the tubes on it are 2.75", so I'm probalby not going to be able to use it, either. I'm learning a lot about these rear ends. Anyways...not sure if I'm going to try to find another used housing, or just order a new S60 for it.

I also got a couple 727 cores, one is a big block, so I need to get that apart and get the case cleaned up, so I can do some mocking up when the time comes.

kiwijeff and enloe like this.
  5. catdad49

catdad49

Jim, I took a fundamental welding course last year, included all the disciplines. I had taken a Mig only class earlier, so I concentrated on stick (which I found that I was pretty good at) and Tig. I learned Oxy/Ac a long time ago (and still remember after a little practice), so I learned using both hands. Tig is similar in that respect, but different. I was pretty proficient by the end of the semester, but I don't think my stack of dimes would be photo worthy! Good Luck, as my instructor was fond of saying," Ya gotta burn to learn!"

6. squirrel

squirrel

I don't expect to be stacking dimes, but I do expect to be able to make strong welds.

7. Nice score on the synchrowave. I’ve got a 200 and it’s a great machine. I’ve used the 180’s, 300’s, etc and they’ve all been good machines.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

squirrel and loudbang like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I'm also playing with the tire cutout. I'm using the skinny slicks from my Chevy to get the diameter right, since I don't have the larger diameter slicks yet that will fit the wider wheels that are going on this car. I expect I'll probably need to do some more adjusting once I get the right tires, and get the frame and suspension in. I'll be using adjustable height springs, so I can set ride height later. I plan to run street tires that tuck into the fenders, so it will be able to handle bumps, etc without rubbing. When racing, the car will have less weight in it, and be on smooth surfaces, so I should be able to get away with perhaps just under 2" clearance between the fender lip and the tire. I plan to put a 1/2" diameter steel tube behind the wheel opening, to give it strength, and also to prevent tire damage if it does make contact. And yes, I'm going to fill in the cut out area behind the tire!

here's a mock up

build05.jpg build04.jpg

9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

There is a little piece of me that was hoping you would leave the wheel opening like Plan II, just because it is a signature Squirrel look.

The rest of me is glad you are not.:D

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    fiddysixF and loudbang like this.
  10. If you ever can't find something drop me a note, we usually watch the same threads.

Jim ( @squirrel ) I got a brand new in the box, large made in the USA aluminum cross flow in the basement. It was for a project that never happened and I doubt that I will ever use it. Drop me a note and we'll see what we can make happen, maybe we can trade some pieces or something.

Willy_P and enloe like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had this in mind!

[​IMG]

12. Life is lived in minutes, isn't it. We pare it down to .001 of a second, but it takes a minute to get there. Why miss all that fun? ;)

ratrodrodder, Clay Belt and loudbang like this.
  13. Yes, looks very streetable. :)

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nothing a windshield and some front brakes couldn't handle as far as the DMV is concerned. + Some lights. ;)

loudbang and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  15. Yeah, no doubt the sound level is below 95 dB.

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Now that's a rumble seat!

loudbang and Doctorterry like this.
  17. noboD

noboD

Squirrel, try using stainless filler with your heliarc, it's much easier to learn.

loudbang and squirrel like this.
  18. What about stacking pennies ? Lol
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

loudbang, catdad49 and flatford39 like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

Stacking loose change, of various denominations....

OahuEli, Cosmo49, Doctorterry and 6 others like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

21. squirrel

squirrel

I decided to drop off the well eaten up rearend housing at a shop that has the tool to resurface the worn areas. I'll see how it looks when they're done. I also bought a little more steel, and worked on the front spring perch design, I built a sample, that might almost work. Next try will be better.

But mostly I was out all day, so nothing got done.

22. squirrel

squirrel

Made a couple pieces of inner rocker panel. A bit more prep work, and I can spot weld them in place. I got a cheesy HF spot welder, set it up, tried it on some scrap metal, and it seems to work. It takes some practice to figure out when to let go of the button--seems to work best if I let the hot circle get to a certain size, rather than hold the button for a certain amount of time. I used it first to tack some small patches behind the trim holes in the outer rocker panel, then I MIGd them from the front side.

Anyways...I think I can get the rocker to be mostly straight, measuring with my calibrated eyeball. It kind of rolls up at the ends, so I have to get it in to shape before clamping.

build06.jpg

kiwijeff, fauj, enloe and 4 others like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

This guy had a similar idea except no front end extension. But way easy to work on the engine in his. :rolleyes:

squrell.JPG

kiwijeff, brad2v, enloe and 3 others like this.
  24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I'm not familiar with the HF spot welder, and you may already know this, but if you can use it as a single point welder, try to keep the ground as close as you can to the welds.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Jim, I picked up a HF spot welder and have had great success with it on the Ravioli, I have had success with 3 layers of 18ga. I had to make some offset tips to spot weld a 3/8" flange, shouldn't be a problem for you if you need to. IMG_1879.JPG do a

26. squirrel

squirrel

Neat idea...I'll keep it in mind if I need to do some weird welds. So far I only have plans to use it for this one task, but I expect I'll find many other uses for it.

loudbang likes this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I spent a number of years on the spot weld line at the Atlanta Fisher Body/GM plant, and can tell you that you need to take scraps of the same metal and thickness, weld together and then test by attempting to split them apart with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer.
    If the weld holds and the metal tears, you have a good weld, if the weld splits loose, then you either need to resharpen points or up the amps. Don't trust the welds without testing on scrap!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  28. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, I did that already, they seem to be quite strong. Thanks!

When I'm working on taking apart old bodies for whatever reason. I think about the guys who were putting them together way back when...

Willy_P, mike bowling, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  29. flatford39

flatford39

Can you post a pic of the spot welder you purchased when you have time. I am in the market for one as well.

30. squirrel

squirrel

sure, it's the 240v unit.

IMG_20180204_143154.jpg

enloe likes this.