Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '60 Galaxie project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396belair, Jan 30, 2018.

1. 396belair

396belair

I have a '60 Galaxie two door post that I am considering building for daily use. The car has a very good running 292 and Cruise-O-Matic. I drove the car for a few months about 12 years ago, got all the mechanicals (brakes, steering, etc.) sorted out, then partially disassembled it for some body work and it has been sitting ever since. The biggest hurdle I face is that the car is a TOTAL rust bucket. The frame and floors are sound, but the rockers (inner and outer), quarters, and passenger door are toast. I replaced both fenders with good used pieces when I got it. It is also missing some trim pieces: both lower quarter moldings, the right turn signal housing (it's there, but it's smashed), both of the small curved pieces that go around the front of the washboard trim on the quarters, and the piece that goes between the top of the right turn signal housing and the fender top molding. I'm not looking to build any kind of show winner here, black suede with a shiny white top is what I had planned, and that's fine with me. But before I start slapping boiler plates and pop rivets buried under an inch of body filler all over this thing, I thought I would put out some feelers to see if anyone had a line on a parts car, good used panels or trim, or a rust free shell. 100_1079.JPG 100_1081.JPG 100_1083.JPG 100_1078.JPG

Attached Files:

Cosmo50, mcnally351 and AVater like this.
  2. philo426

philo426

Need the fast back version.

Attached Files:

Cosmo50 likes this.
  3. 396belair

396belair

they're pretty nice, but I just love that T-Bird-lookin' top on the sedans

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  4. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Good Luck!
    I had a 61 hardtop, which shares a bunch of 60 mechanical parts, and 62 body parts. Boy are the 60-2 Fords a BITCH to find parts for! Not much repro stuff, so used and NOS is about all there is! I also had a 62 ragtop project. The parts hassles were a BIG part of why I sent them down the road!
    I LOVE the big Galaxies though! Must be because I was conceived in the back of a 60 4 door.....:)

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Those bumper guards aren't factory, are they?
    You can cut the rust out and replace it with formed metal welded in if you want.
    All depends on what you want to wind up with when done I guess......

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Rust free is pretty tough with this year. We had a 2 door wagon and my dad drove it pretty much until the bottom fell out. Interesting one year only style that looked so different that it grows on you. I read somewhere that it was Ford's widest car ever but not sure about that. You don't see many of these around. My mom struggled getting it in and out of the garage and knocked off one of the sight glasses on the front fender once.

Would love to get my hands on another wagon.

mcnally351 likes this.
  7. R Pope

R Pope

Gotta love fins that start at the front bumper! (Like my '64 Merc Marauder.)

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I think they were the widest American made automobile, ever. They are one of my favorites, also. They are over 80 inches wide, 80.6" is the figure in my head.

mcnally351 likes this.
  9. They were the widest; so wide in fact, they technically weren't legal in several states but this wasn't realized until too many were on the road and Ford somehow got a 'pass' from the Feds....

BAD ROD and mcnally351 like this.
  10. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Very cool project. Good luck with it. I love these on my bucket list

11. Smiffy

Smiffy

All the best with the project. Sadly 57 - 60 Fords are very prone to the metal cancer especially if you live in colder areas. May have to develop your metal fab skills as repo replacement panels are virtually non existent try EMS see how you go. Have a soft spot for 1960 Fords takes me back to the days of my misspent youth.

12. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Man I love those ugly little buggers.....

Doctorterry likes this.
  13. I have a '59 that is in good shape, a western car with no rust. The '60 was also an odd car like the '59. Most of my trim was found on eBay. I have searches saved and check them now and then. For sheet metal, try Owens Salvage in Texas, Bob the owner is a HAMB member and he had a slew of '59 Fords I got my parts from.

14. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

The outboard bumper guards on the front and rear were factory options. I don't think the "push bar" looking ones were

15. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Needs a narrowed 64 Mercury grill.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What about just driving it as-is and not even fixing the rust? Save some time, labor, and money... And maybe keep an eye out for a more solid car in the meantime?

17. I keep telling you guys about Stan the Ford man. His specialty is 1960 through 1965 Big Fords only. He is the most honest guy I've ever delt with and will ship anything anywhere, he's just Not on the internet. He don't sell scrap Iron. When he tells ya pretty nice and you get it you'll think he got mixed up and sent you a New Old Stock Ford part. Call him, 360-687-1216 odd's are real good you'll need to leave him a Message but do it, he'll call you back with good info. Believe me, he has it.
    The Wizzard

town sedan and Bruce Fischer like this.
  18. town sedan

town sedan

Ventilated rockers help with top speed. Except for the ones that never were driven, I think all of these cars suffered with right front corner damage. At least your Ford is the better looking 2dr model, mine is a 4dr Fairlane body. Some of the trim is being reproduced by Burton Antique Auto Parts. I've seen the trunk floors available on that auction site, but otherwise it's either home made, used or NOS.
    -Dave

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Check with Snakeman Enterprises in Cleveland, Tn. He has a Ford salvage yard.