Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford traditional dash picture

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MIKE STEWART, Jan 26, 2018.

1. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I am working on a 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupe. This car will be a traditional looking build. At this time - I do not want to install a 1940 Ford Dash - yes they are one of the nicest looking 1932 - 1948 dashes.

Looking of some picture posts for ideas. Nice looking gauges seem to be the problem. I do not have any original gauges.

2. I used a '39 dash in my '30 had to make knobs for the switches.

photo 1.JPG IMG_3659.jpg
    What's that about 120 mph?

alfin32, hfh, LOU WELLS and 3 others like this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you want traditional, leave the 39 dash in place.. Actually, they are pretty cool....

4. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    I bought a set of gauges from Classic Instruments several years ago for my 39 project. I put this picture in here from their web site. They offer other configurations for the 4 gauge unit and you can specify the color of needles you want. I chose black needles. My bezels(or rims) are chromed and will fit in from behind the dash((had to have the holes machined to a slightly larger OD) which will make them look pretty close (well....similar) to stock. As you probably already know they do produce all of the knobs for 39's. With a little ingenuity the knobs can be modified to work with your more modern switches or just installed as non functioning knobs to keep the dash looking old school.

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'39 gauges had the fluid tubes, '40 was the first with all electrical... because 2 of the '39 gauges are upside down you will need gauges that match... '49 to '51 cars and '51 -'52 trucks, then convert to 12v if that is the plan...
    I ran 6v gauges in a 12v '47 sedan, put all but ammeter on a push button switch, push it, look at them, let go, gauges sleep... still working after 2 years ...sold it...

stillrunners likes this.
  7. Previous owner had started this theme on my '39 Deluxe coupe, so I continued with it, filling holes etc. removed clock in glove box door, and adding SW gauges then sprayed it black to match my very basic interior.
    IMG_1925.JPG IMG_2053.JPG

8. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

nice - 4 speed in floor ? what is the shifter boot?
    Thanks.

9. GeeRam

GeeRam

I've chosen to go the route as you with the 39 dash that is going in my '32 coupe.

Did look at getting the original gauges restored, but as pointed out the fluid tubes in the '39 gauges are a bit of an issue (and price!) according to the people I talked to at Palo Alto Speedo when I was over last October.
    Putting repro dash knobs in mine, hopefully re-jigged to other functions as you say.
    Got the idea for using the 39 dash, when I saw John Cherry's lovely black hemi powered '32 5w at CHRR back in 2007.

dwollam and MIKE STEWART like this.
  10. Thanks Mike, it's a Muncie 4 spd behind a 283 triple deuce small block.
    I created the metal hump for shifter mount, boot is generic.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  11. Another reason I chose my 39 dlux coupe over the 40.....that factory dash !

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  12. dwollam

dwollam

I'm rather partial to the '40 Standard dash, but I really loved my '39 DeLuxe I had in high school. Especially the crank out windshield and banjo wheel along with the '39 gauges.

Dave

stillrunners and MIKE STEWART like this.
  13. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Looking of some picture posts for ideas.
    This is mine. The louvers on the ends and in the center are A/C outlets. Gauges are Classic Inst.
    dash 2.JPG

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

1939.5 dash... DSCN2286.JPG
    2" pipe cut and spread to pinch modern gauges, weld in leaving the most squeeze area

DSCN2496.JPG
    . DSCN2484.JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    stillrunners and MIKE STEWART like this.
  15. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Thanks for this pic Sloppy Jalopies - I plan on the 40 Standard insert like yours - nice look. The 39 is hard to load up with aftermarket gauges - 40 is much easier. I will attach my finished 39 Ford coupe - I used the original gauges and insterted SW instruments - I do not have another set to do this. 39 DASH.jpg

stillrunners, LOU WELLS and 40FORDPU like this.
  16. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

STOCK '39 gauges in a STOCK '39 dash is way kool, just my opinion!!

46international and 56don like this.
  17. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

Check out the 4 3/8 gauges from New Vintage USA ( Hamb Alliance vendor). They have a plethora of layouts. I say leave the 39 dash in there. I think the 38 and 39's both look better than a 40. I am using a 38 dash in my 30 coupe and chose the New Vintage gauges.
    ps ... kph speedo because I live in Canada, eh fullsizeoutput_32f.jpeg

18. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Does the New Vintage Gauges drop in - the stock 1939 Ford dash? They look nice.

Thanks,
    Mike

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

1951 and '52 trucks will fit the hole

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  20. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Thanks for the info Sloppy - sounds like I have 3 good choices for gauges in my 1939 Ford dash. I have a few spares - they do not seem to sell for the much higher price as a 1940 Ford. Can alter one if needed - but rather not.

21. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Here's the '39 dash in my '39 coupe. I used a '38 handle for the windshield opener. 3-26-10Latestpictures030.jpg

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

They sell new adhesive faces for some gauges,['40, s+d] if you go that route I recommend you cut a thin lower slot and slide the new face down to the bottom and not mess with the needles... IMO.

23. It's unfortunate you don't have stock 39 Deluxe gauges available.............had mine restored in Anacortes, Wa and converted to modern electronic sending units...........turned out very well...........

Attached Files:

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like the top/bottom chrome strips

25. Thanks, I had an extra dash I robbed it from.

26. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

Yes they do

olscrounger and MIKE STEWART like this.
  27. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

WOW - Very nice job - I might try to locate some stock gauges to rebuild - Thanks for the pic - great job!

28. Lathan

Lathan

I know the post is old and I’m sorry but I bought a 1939 Tudor and all of the knobs are missing and everything. What do the knives do on the dash?

29. The upper knobs attaches to throttle (on the left ) and choke (on the right). The throttle was sort of a precursor to cruise control.

stillrunners likes this.
  30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

There are many combinations of speedo/ cluster, std, dlx and both for truck...
    tough to find a matched working set...
    '33 -'39 used the same size speedo, different mounting studs...
    I remove the cluster and center the speedo between a pair of 2.125" gauge holes...
    removed one of the vertical inserts to keep it narrow enough, added a strip of '35 hood side stainless with a ball of SS welding on the cut end, sanded to match the stock rounded edge...
    used one for the top trim...
    note the taper in the cluster area and the glovebox door...
    Woodie and cabriolet only for '38 + '39...
    hamber in MA, traded for it... DSCN2600 (1).JPG DSCN2642.JPG

MIKE STEWART and kadillackid like this.