Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical need help(possible scam?) north carolina guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeltramp brian, Jan 29, 2018.

1. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

ive got a line on some parts in north carolina and the guy wants me to pay with a walmart to walmart transfer.never heard of this.is it like the western union scams going around? im buying a hood and heater controls for my dd 64 elky. and he only wants 70 bucks fir shipping.sounds waaaay too cheap for a large heavy hood.and the pics he sent are of a very nice complete elky.looks like a runner driver.hope im wrong as id like to get these parts.anybody know a donald gibbs inindian trail nc28079.thanks all

markin59 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

70 bucks to ship a hood? Suuure

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Really? Why do people keep falling for this shit. Run !

5. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

There have been some posts about scams using Walmart recently, I don't anything other than reading these posts

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Correction: not just a possible scam, it is most likely a scam!

Clay Belt likes this.
  7. Jeff J

Jeff J

I live about 20 miles from Indian Trails Get his address and I'll show up to get it ! PM me

8. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Just search Don Gibbs on this site - a few posts about his scams....

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

10. Worst of all, it involves having to go into a W*lm*rt. :(

pat59, Jugornot, kadillackid and 4 others like this.
  11. ................Ever notice when you come out you feel like you need to take a shower?:eek:

12. Is it actually don Gibbs pulling this crap or just someone using his name ?
    Lots of posts and threads about this scam artist

13. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Just tell Don Gibbs (if that's who he really is) that your ol buddy Jeff is going to show up in person to inspect the merchandise and save shipping cost.
    I'll bet he won't answer his phone anymore.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Greed. Plain and simple.

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'd pass on it. Who needs the aggravation.
    I can't believe you can't find the stuff you're looking for down there in SoCal. It used to be Chevelle/ El Camino heaven down there with cars and parts everywhere. Same with '67-'68 C10s

16. Yeah! And for a few days afterwards it feels like my I.Q. has dropped a couple points. :confused: Trust me, I can't afford to do that very often either. :p

17. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

thanks all gonna tell whoever it is no deal.

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

There needs to be a warning in the classifieds, this person is I'm Sure screwing people on here in the Wanted Ad's, They tried there shit on me, That's why I put my number in the ad, an say call if you have the part... Actually another scam was a guy actually called, said he was on the phone with another guy wanting to buy a 1927 Dodge windshield frame, I'm like...Ahhh well if ya got it sold then sell it...But if you're interested how much would i pay... Anyway long story short, I said I'd only transfer money through PayPal, He didn't like that, said they screwed him, but maybe his sister could, never heard from him again...

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There is a warning in the Classifieds.....

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/afraid-of-fraud-protect-yourself.630484/

20. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Agreed. Chevelle parts are plentiful enough in Socal. Dig a bit and you'll find them. No need to shop/ship large parts such as a hood coast to coast.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hey just send the money to me. I have no parts either, but at least I am up front about it.

Andy, Jalopy Joker, da34guy and 7 others like this.
  23. Sheep dip. When a guy in Texas told me he would pull a motor and trans out of his 56 Buick for me{when I was looking for one} I asked him why would he do that to such a nice car{he had sent me a picture of the car} He said his wife had cancer. I said my brother in law lives 2 blocks from you I am sending him over to check it out. He disappeared! Bruce.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. greener200

greener200

I just had a guy text me yesterday about a 39 tranny I have for sale on CL Hes in Utah ,im in Mass. He wanted to do a walmart tranferAnd he would add 50 bucks if I ended the listing . Oh and his man would make arrangements for picup ,,,,uhh huh ,,, when I told him To just have his MAN bring cash at picup I never heard back ,,,,,,mmmmm what a surprise

25. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

there is a few complete elkys that i know about even a perfect 4 door chevelle that i could use the entire front clip.that are all up to the rockers in dirt.been there forever.people wont sell for less than double whats fair price.another local guyhas what i need but is terrably lazy and doesnt seem to care if he sells or not when we allready agreed on a price.

26. Yep. I got an uncle that lives everywhere and is always ready to go look at something for me. They either make and excuse, or call me a scammer or just give up on me all together.

Wally world has become the new western union. I hadn't heard of it until I was selling an old Harley frame to a guy in St Louis. It was his idea to send me a deposit via Wall Mart. You don't actually send money to a specific wall mart just a specific state. They do require a picture ID or two other forms of ID to pic the money up. But that is an easy scam to work too, I could say send the money to Kansas for example and be there in 20 minutes from here in Missouri.

27. fuzzface

fuzzface

Some of those scammers are persistent too. Usually they disappear when I tell them I want cash at pickup which is in my listings but they think that I will accept w.u. or some other check with a little extra added and they will send someone over to get the item.

one person insisted they will send a cashier's check thru fedex after I stated I only accept cash when they pickup the item. Guess what? Yep, I had a fedex truck here on a day I knew I had nothing coming and I refused to accept the envelope. I Had to give the fedex driver a reason why I was refusing it and before he was even out of my yard, the scammer was texting me back asking why I refused his check. I never answered him back and he disappeared from that transaction.

Noticed I said that transaction above? Yep, I get text from that number off and on for my other clistings and it isn't just in one category, he seems to make the rounds in there. He should keep a record who ignores him like I do now.

28. They actually should get together or keep a list of who they have tried to scam before. Not very smart people as a rule.

I had a Cl listing on a collectable leather jacket about 5 years ago. The guy still sends me the same email even though I have nothing listed and he is interested in my merchandise. LOL